Sandwiches

What do you do with your free time?

Sandwiches

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:44 am

My poor husbeast is going to be out of the house from 8am to 11pm for the next couple of weeks, teaching at his design college in the day (they've run out of things to teach him, so...yeah) and working at a local restaurant in the evenings. His evening meal will take care of itself, because restaurant. But I want to make sure I send him off with a really hearty packed lunch.

So please give me your best ideas for sandwiches that are hearty and filling and also won't have him bored to death by day three. Rolls, wraps,triple-deckers...whatever.

So far on the roster:

Tuna mayonnaise with lemon juice and black pepper, prawns, mixed salad leaves/spinach and cucumber(sandwiches)
Chicken, piri-piri sauce, cooked onion and red pell peppers, iceberg lettuce (wraps)
Smoked ham, sharp cheddar, Branston pickle, tomato and iceberg lettuce (sandwiches)
Roast beef and...something. Black olives, maybe? Horseradish? Green bell pepper?
Is there a way to make egg mayonnaise interesting?

Help me out, foodies. I want him to be "OMG nom" and nice and full up, not "Eh...boring sandwich". He's definitely open to vegetarian options, but I don't even know where to start there. Like...falafel or something? Sounds pretty bland.

Soup / other reheatables aren't an option, unfortunately.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Re: Sandwiches

Postby Arkyle » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:33 am

My sister does these for her kids lunches:

1) Banana bread but in cupcake form. Means you can snack on the go.
2) Take a muffin pan, put in anything you like. Some suggestions: Bacon, chives, pepper and cheese. Or tomatoe, green pepper and mushroom. Whisk together eggs with a bit of spice and milk. Pour into the muffin pans and bake at 180 for about 15 minutes (varies with stove and size of muffin tin). Big advantage of these is that you can make them in advance and freeze them. By the time lunch comes around, they've defrosted, but also have stayed cool enough that they don't spoil. It also means you can make a big batch on the weekend without needing to do this all in the morning.

And that's the end of my usefulness for today :)

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:40 am

http://battleofthebanhmi.com/

Banh mi is my new favorite thing. I make a version at my restaurant that uses a wheat roll rather than baguette, which is sad because the crustiness is really key to that sandwich, but the wheat roll is SHOCKINGLY good. I split the roll, spray the inside with cooking oil, and then throw it in the convection for a couple minutes to toast it. I then stuff said roll with pulled pork, which we always have on hand, and brush sriracha mayonnaise on the bread. I leave the rest of the ingredients on the plate, kind of deconstructed like, because some people are weird about jalapenos or, in one weird case, cucumber. But Orange... it is sooooooooooooooooo yummy. I don't know if Ol is as weird about cilantro as you are, but that's easy enough to leave out, and anyway I think the most important part is the daikon carrot slaw. That makes it a sandwich unlike any other.

One important thing that I never saw in any of the recipes I looked up, but saw mentioned in a couple comment sections: if you don't have any, go get some Maggi seasoning. That's the secret weapon, right there. There are a couple hipster places here in town that serve white boy banh mi like I do, but they don't use Maggi seasoning because it's, I don't know, too base for them? It just makes everything on that sandwich pop in a surreal, fascinating way.

Also I would love to hear more about this restaurant he's working at...

EDIT: Arkyle's post made me think of this:

http://icuban.com/food/tamal_cazuela.html

When I open my food truck, that's one of the things I want to roll out. After I made the tamal en cazuela, I would fill cupcake tins with it and bake until crisp on top, and voila... tamale cupcake. That's something I'm definitely not giving up to the place I'm working at now!

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:06 am

If he'll be able to heat stuff up, how about soup as a variation from sandwich-y things?

Cold sausages go well in sandwiches with an appropriate sauce (I like ketchup with sausages, but some people prefer brown sauce. You could even use some slices of sausage to make egg mayonnaise more interesting. I do recommend doing this a day or two after you had sausages for dinner, cooking them specially is just too much work for a packed lunch.

What about something not bread-based at all? Pasta salad is nice, and doesn't even need heating up.

Or a handful of crackers, some cheese, and whatever other accompaniments to cheese and crackers he likes - for myself, I'd take a little pot of pickle and a selection of fruit and veg: any of sliced apple (douse it in lemon juice and put it in an airtight container to stop it going brown), grapes, cucumber, bell peppers, carrot sticks, or anything else you think of. Ham would go well too.
YMMV but sometimes I buy a packet of mini spring rolls, and microwave them at work. The thing is that they don't go crispy like they do in the oven: I love them that way but that might just be me.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby LaoWai » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:12 pm

For manly roast beef, I usually slather horse-radish on one slice of rye bread, put a slice of red onion (i.e., a whole circular slice) on it, slather another slice of rye bread with brown mustard, throw some dill pickle slices on it, then slap some roast beef and blue cheese in the middle.

On the girlier side, I've also had a roast beef with tomato, lettuce and cream cheese on pumpernickel bread. It was quite tasty.

To switch up egg salad (egg mayonnaise), you might try 1) putting in some packaged taco seasoning, 2) adding pickled shallot or pickled onions to the recipe, 3) adding grated beetroot or beetroot juice to the recipe, and 4) mixing it with guacamole.

Based on my own experience, to avoid that "Oh, a sandwich...again" feeling, the easiest thing is just to switch things up regularly. If you do a few really creative sandwiches in a row, especially ones with strong flavors, throw in a sort of bland ham-and-cheese the next time around. If I eat really wild stuff a few days in a row, something plain suddenly tastes amazingly good, and the next time I have wild stuff again, the wild stuff tastes even better.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby sunglasses » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Dear god, I have nothing to contribute. All these sandwiches sound much too fancy for me.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Sunny, if you haven't tried banh mi yet... seriously GO TRY BANH MI. I'm getting all worked up just thinking about it.

Italian beef sandwiches are good too. They're actually a product of Italian immigrants in America rather than from the mother country. They're good because the juices from the beef make the bread all soggy, which may sound terrible but I assure you, it's glorious. Another good sandwich is the torta. Take some crusty bread, grill it, and spread guacamole on one side and sour cream on the other, then stuff with diced chicken or steak or, better yet, slow cooked beef (barbacoa if you're feeling especially adventurous), lettuce, tomato or pico de gallo, and cheese.

I'm not a big sandwich guy but these are some sandwiches that I really enjoy.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby LaChaise » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:21 pm

Horseradish, tinned sardines (in olive oil, even better if they're spicy), a touch of lemon juice, fresh spinach or lamb's lettuce. You can also add some brined chili peppers and/or a couple anchovies as well as a few capers.
Is egg mayonnaise the white one without mustard? If so, my only advice to make it taste right would be to get rid of it and get some real, yellow mayonnaise. It's way tastier, and goes awfully well with cold chicken or turkey. Add some cayenne/bec d'oiseau pepper on it, some lettuce or lamb's lettuce, maybe add some shallots, raw or in confit.

Another thing you can do is switch the bread! Here's my recipe for mauricettes (bread made with bretzel dough):

Spoiler: show
For the dough:
500g flour
10g salt
11g baker's yeast (powdered)
15cl water
15cl milk
35g room-temperature margarine

For the bath:
1-2L water
100g sodium bicarbonate
2 tsp salt

For the je ne sais quoi:
1-2 eggs
cheese (preferably emmental, gruyère, or any easily browned cheese)

First, mix the flour and the yeast, add the salt, milk and water.
Knead the dough for a bit and add the margarine in small bits. Finish kneading and let rest for at least an hour.

Preheat your oven at 200°C (290°F/Th 6-7)

Put the water, bicarbonate and salt in a saucepan and heat it 5 minutes on high.
Divide the dough in a dozen parts, roll them to get an oval form
Dip them in the bath (just in and out, let them too long and they'll stick/fall apart) and put them on a buttered tray.
Cut some diagonal streaks on their surface (not too deep, just like on a baguette)
Finally, paint (? I found distemper, but I've never seen this verb) the breads with some egg. If you're feeling fancy, now's the time to add the cheese.
Bake for around 15 minutes, the mauricettes should be golden-brown and shouldn't develop as hard a crust as baguettes.

This is a bit lengthy, but you should have enough mauricettes to feed 2-3 persons for a couple amazing meals. If you put them in a dry cloth, they should last 2-4 days depending on humidity.

These can be used as bread to make regular sandwiches, but you can also make them a bit flatter and put ingredients on top before putting it in the oven. One of my favorites is smoked salmon, a little cream and emmental. Add some dill and you're just a bit closer from the perfect snack.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:39 pm

I'd suggest something long the lines of a BLT,a caprese sandwich (lettuce, tomato, and sliced mozzarella), or a chicken salad and bacon sandwich.

If you can have access to some more complex ingredients, I'd suggest a moufaletta (chopped olives, capers, and banana peppers with herbs, salami, mortadella, mozzarella, and provolone) a cubano (ham, pork, mustard, and pickles on a butter brushed french roll), or a Manhattan (a club sandwich with roast beef, pastrami, beef tongue,chicken livers, and the works).

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:21 am

I assume you're after cold sandwiches. Pretty much all of my recipes for cold sandwiches involve sticking large quantities of meat between two slices of rye bread.

However I have two sandwiches that might work cold. I say might, because I don't like cold cooked vegetables, and both of these involve fried eggplant (though I've also made the first with spiced ground turkey).

The first one is an English muffin (I always use large, homemade ones, not the tiny stale ones they sell at the grocery stores), with a savory filling (fried eggplant or turkey sausage), low-sugar apricot jam (standard jams are too sweet for me), and sliced, de-seeded peppers (I use Trinidad perfume and either Bulgarian carrot, jalapeño or aji limon), and usually melted cheese. You could probably make this with a cheese that's good sliced, or possibly thinly sliced, fried halloum (which is good even cold if sliced thin enough). The hard part would be finding good peppers: you want a small (so you can slice them really thin), not-too-hot pepper with good flavor. At least in American supermarkets, the only small peppers you can find are jalapeños--which don't have a subtle flavor; and habaneros--which are likely too hot. If you can find them, a mild pickled pepper--like peperoncinis or peppadews--might be a suitable alternative.

The second is one I tried at a local cafe. A demi-baguette drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and stuffed with fried eggplant and fresh mozarella. It was amazing, though of course the eggplant was hot.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:16 pm

a personal favourite of mine: smoked cheese (German or Austrian) with some smoked German salami in a nice roll or bagel, and before you ask, OF COURSE YOU BUTTER THE ROLL!!!! WHAT ARE YOU? FRENCH!?!? (don't answer that LaChaise!)

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Postby mancityfooty » Sun May 03, 2015 11:05 pm

Bacon butty. There is nothing like a bacon butty to start the day. And I don't even eat breakfast anymore. But I can't ignore a bacon butty. No one can.

Did I say bacon butty enough? Fine. Bacon butty. Bacon butty. Bacon butty. Bacon butty.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:47 am

@MFC: I don't even know what that is, but I think I saw the word "bacon" before I teared up and started drooling uncontrollably.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:03 pm

If there was ever a thread that needed pictures, this would be it.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:41 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Next