Cooking

What do you do with your free time?

Re: Cooking

Postby LaoWai » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 am

OrangeEyebrows wrote:So these were pretty delicious. Coddled eggs made in bell peppers instead of a ramekin. I know coddled eggs are ridiculously old-fashioned, but I don't know why they fell out of favour, because NOM.

I for one am opposed to coddling eggs. Life isn't a cake-walk, and the sooner those cocksure eggs learn that the better. The minute I pick up my eggs in the supermarket, I tell them, "I eat punks like you for"...Oh, I see, so it's like a poached egg sort of thing? I'm going to have to try that then.

Actually, I've tried baking up a lot of stuff in bell pepper halves. Some of my favorites are 1) salsa and refried beans mixed up with any leftover filling from taco night, then smothered in cheese 2) baked beans and stewed tomato with chunks of ham, also often smothered in cheese, and 3) leftover rice with some hunks of potato and curry sauce.

Basically, if I've got a pepper handy, I'll just try tossing whatever leftovers are too small to use for a real meal into the pepper, add in some sauce or canned vegetables, and chuck it in the oven (usually smothered in cheese, except for maybe the curry). The pepper adds a really nice touch of flavor to whatever the mixture happens to be, and almost everything I've tried has been successful. (Note: Ice cream doesn't turn out so well.)

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Sounds good - definitely going to try it with rice leftovers.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Speaking of stuffed peppers, a new favorite at the Notch house is chiles rellenos. I don't think I make them "correctly", but holy hell they're delicious.

So here's what you effing do.

Take some poblano peppers. These are the best because they are not hot, really, but are long and thin and anyway they're good for this. If you want your chiles to have at least a little heat, use Anaheim peppers instead. Okay, now what I do from here is, I dredge the peppers in tempura batter. The tempura batter I just buy from the store, and I mix in some seasoning salt and chili powder. Make sure you use ICE COLD soda water when you mix up the batter. Trust the Notch. After you dredge the peppers, throw em in wholesale in a pot full of oil or a deep fryer.

After they're nice and golden on both sides, pull them out and set them on a rack so they can cool and drain the excess oil off. Now while you're waiting for that, grab you some chicken breast and shred it in a skillet with cheese and chili powder and garlic and cumin and salt and pepper. Except for oregano, that is pretty much how I do all Mexican food. Also, last time I made them I added diced red jalapenos... yum! Once the peppers are cooled, cut off the caps where the stem is and scoop out the seeds and pith. You'll note that its much easier to do since you've cooked the peppers already. Now stuff those bad boys with your chicken and cheese mixture, replace the caps, and put them in the oven for like thirty minutes or so. Serve them up with rice and beans, or else just by themselves, I mean they're practically a meal all on their own. You can store them in the fridge, and if you reheat them in the oven instead of the microwave, they are shockingly almost as good as fresh, crispy and everything.

Last edited by Matthew Notch on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I put do in it
It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby LaChaise » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Wanna make awesome nuggets? Here's an awesome recipe from my cooking Bible: http://norecipes.com/recipe/chicken-parmesan-nuggets/
Here's a beef and sausage version for those of you who aren't satisfied with just chicken and parmesan.

If you want to find more answers to life the universe and everything, check out the rest of this guy's recipes. There's God to find somewhere in there.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby LaoWai » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:13 am

Those nuggets look awesome. Now I'm thinking, what if you wrapped some prosciutto around the mozzarella first, then served it up with hollandaise sauce. Damnit, I've got to go shopping now.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Knottypile » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:26 am

I'm pretty much useless in the kitchen. I guess I can do stirfry... nothing much else.
I can bake though. Brownies, and cake, and muffins. I have dessert covered I suppose.

Knottypile
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Don't despair.

Postby JamishT » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:01 pm

My sister came up with a recipe for macaroni and cheese pizza. I made it and it is glorious.

Layer:
Flat baked crescent rolls
Equal parts ranch dressing and sour cream mixed
Parmesan cheese
Prepared mac & cheese
Shredded cheese
Crumbled bacon

Bake until cheese is melted. Ignore the protests of your arteries. Eat.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:26 pm

JamishT wrote:My sister came up with a recipe for macaroni and cheese pizza. I made it and it is glorious.

Layer:
Flat baked crescent rolls
Equal parts ranch dressing and sour cream mixed
Parmesan cheese
Prepared mac & cheese
Shredded cheese
Crumbled bacon

Bake until cheese is melted. Ignore the protests of your arteries. Eat.

I gained 5 lbs just reading that.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Grapho » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:33 am

This is making my mouth water. I have a cool BBQ recipe for anybody who's interested.

You get yourself a pot, and put some water in it, less than a cup would be good, but it depends on how thick you like it. Then, you turn on the heat and put 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar, and wait for the water to boil. Stir it, so the sugar won't burn.

Afterwards, get yourself one of those big heinz ketchup packets, the ones with the dispenser thingy on the side, and pour it all. Mash a garlic clove (if you're a garlic person, don't hold it, it gives it an awesome taste) and put it in, too. Keep stirring, wait for it to get nice and hot, and add about two tablespoons of worcestershire sauce, a good deal of black pepper, and a tablespoon of mustard. Get one of those canned chipotles and put it in, along with some of the juice, it'll give it a spicy taste without being uncomfortable at all. Lastly, add a dash of white vinegar (don't be afraid to add too much, especially if you think it tastes too garlicky) and get about a tablespoon --again-- of dry oregano, and crush it all over the sauce. Stir and enjoy the tasty, tasty flavor.

Tip, when you think it's almost thick enough, stop. It really gets much more solid once it cools down a bit.

Grapho
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Dick joke aficionado

Postby Grapho » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:36 am

On a side note, if you want the bbq sauce for ribs or chicken, be sure to pre-cook them a bit before you grill them, it makes them much more tender, about 10 to 15 minutes should be enough for pork ribs. Also, just put them on the grill for about a minute (or half that, depending on how hot the coals are) on each side before you put the sauce on, otherwise it can give it a burnt flavor that, although I like it, it isn't to everybody's taste.

Grapho
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Dick joke aficionado

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:40 am

Grapho wrote:This is making my mouth water. I have a cool BBQ recipe for anybody who's interested.

You get yourself a pot, and put some water in it, less than a cup would be good, but it depends on how thick you like it. Then, you turn on the heat and put 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar, and wait for the water to boil. Stir it, so the sugar won't burn.

Afterwards, get yourself one of those big heinz ketchup packets, the ones with the dispenser thingy on the side, and pour it all. Mash a garlic clove (if you're a garlic person, don't hold it, it gives it an awesome taste) and put it in, too. Keep stirring, wait for it to get nice and hot, and add about two tablespoons of worcestershire sauce, a good deal of black pepper, and a tablespoon of mustard. Get one of those canned chipotles and put it in, along with some of the juice, it'll give it a spicy taste without being uncomfortable at all. Lastly, add a dash of white vinegar (don't be afraid to add too much, especially if you think it tastes too garlicky) and get about a tablespoon --again-- of dry oregano, and crush it all over the sauce. Stir and enjoy the tasty, tasty flavor.

Tip, when you think it's almost thick enough, stop. It really gets much more solid once it cools down a bit.

This sounds soooooo much like the BBQ sauce I made last year that was absolutely killer. One big difference is that I added the brown sugar to carmelize onions ahead of the sauce, and then immersion blended that with fresh tomatoes from Mrs. Notch's garden rather than using ketchup. I think I also involved clarified butter at some point; probably to cook the onions in, I imagine. I also think I probably used apple cider vinegar. I wonder if the white would have been better, though it's hard to imagine how--that stuff was the bomb. Wife made carnitas and I put that on it and stuffed it in toasted bollilo buns. It just wasn't even fair.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby mancityfooty » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 am

I have a small gas grill. Small enough that it can hold three racks of ribs if I put one on the warming tray.
The way I cook ribs is this way:
Remove the membrane.
Add rub if you want.
I put the ribs bone side down with both burners on the lowest setting. (my grill is 25000 BTU, so it rarely gets above 220F at the lowest setting)
Let it sit for an hour and a half or so.
Flip when it needs it.
Flip again, when it needs it.
After 3-4 hours, finish with a nice BBQ sauce. Something with apple cider vinegar.
If you like them wet, the more sauce the better. Let that stuff caramelize, then flip and baste the other side.
I have never had bad ribs this way.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby JamishT » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:38 am

It should be noted that the above recipe also works for lovers.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby mancityfooty » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:12 am

Well, yeah...but I recommend a bigger grill...
that's what you meant, right?

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby LaoWai » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:03 am

I received sodium citrate from a friend recently and thought, "What the hell do you do with sodium citrate?" It turns out you do this:

1. Grate the hell out of some hard cheeses, about 200 grams worth. (I used an aged Emmental and some Gruyere.)
2. Add about one and a half teaspoons of sodium citrate to a quarter cup of beer in a sauce pan. (I used a wheat beer.)
3. Heat on a low flame and whisk vigorously until all the sodium citrate dissolves.
4. Keep whisking, then add in the cheese a bit at a time.
5. Just keep whisking. Add in a splash more of the beer if it gets too thick.
6. Just keep whisking until all the cheese is melted. (Or, use an immersion blender if you've got one.)

You get a cheese sauce that's as smooth and pours like hot nacho cheese from a jar. I didn't pour mine, just wound up scooping it up with pieces of toasted 馕饼 (which is a kind of flat bread, so almost like pita chips). I'm going to try it drizzled over pizza next time.

LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

PreviousNext