NaNoWriMo

What do you do with your free time?

Re: NaNoWriMo

Postby JamesT » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:11 pm

Australia wrote:
Nanowrimo wrote:At This Rate You Will Finish On March 19, 2014

Thanks for that vote of confidence, Nanowrimo.

Don't let them discourage you! I'm fully confident you'll be able to finish by March 17th, 2014 at the very latest! I believe in you!

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Sheepman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:12 pm

JamesT wrote:
Australia wrote:
Nanowrimo wrote:At This Rate You Will Finish On March 19, 2014

Thanks for that vote of confidence, Nanowrimo.

Don't let them discourage you! I'm fully confident you'll be able to finish by March 17th, 2014 at the very latest! I believe in you!

And hey, 4 months is actually very respectable, all things considered. Some writers take years to write their novel!

sunglasses wrote:Additionally, I'd like to add that I don't recommend leaving small children alone with Aviel. They may come back crying after being shown the odds that they were going to die horribly in the next 70 years.

I'm not trapped in here with you. You're trapped in here with me.
Sheepman
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: God'); DROP TABLE Students;--

Postby BobTheZombie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:11 am

Man, I forgot about NaNoWriMo. It's always something I've been interested in doing but I've come to the realisation (well it's been 20 years in the making) that I leave everything until the last minute and I'm forever procrastinating. I think it hit me some time today when I was meeting up with my project supervisor with nothing but my dick in my hand (not literally- I'm not that desperate for a grade...yet). I usually only do things either the night before or the morning of the class/test etc. I still have a shitty lab report, that was due 2 weeks ago, to hand up. I'm not sure if it's apathy with what I'm doing in life at the moment or what but I don't have time to write a novel right now. I'm getting by on neglecting practically every aspect of my course and writing small segments of various "personal" projects (comics, TV shows, movie ideas that I hope in vain will manifest into something) that continuously pop into my head at various points in the day, completely derailing any momentum I was building for course work. Oh well, back to reality. Anyway, I wish everybody who's participating in this good luck. Maybe I'll give it a crack next year...

"Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier!" - Virginia from Dragonzball P
BobTheZombie
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pessimistic Optimist

Postby Australia » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:07 am

I have to write 28425 more words before I leave for work in an hour (my shift literally finishes in December). Any tips?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby BobTheZombie » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:02 am

Australia wrote:I have to write 28425 more words before I leave for work in an hour (my shift literally finishes in December). Any tips?

You could just type "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" over and over again. It's a good way to bring up the word count.*

*Side-effects may include loss of sanity and a desire to kill your family.

"Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier!" - Virginia from Dragonzball P
BobTheZombie
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pessimistic Optimist

Postby reallifegirl » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:53 pm

Is anybody else doing this year? I'm somehow already behind (I blame post-Halloween exhaustion) but still making the attempt. Anyone else?

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Jack Road » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:04 am

Wasn't it just November four weeks ago?

Gah.

I need to make time to write.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Bromo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:42 pm

I have a lot of ideas I want to put on paper. I think they sound like good ideas, but executing them perfectly is another thing entirely. I mean, look at The Purge, for example. I am obsessed with deconstructions of genres and tropes, so some of my ideas include a deconstruction of Pocket Monsters and Youkai Watch. I also have one that is not necessarily a deconstruction, or not at all, but it's about a dystopian future where people modifying their bodies to become completely robotic is a popular fashion trend; I'd like to think it's a satire on the fashion industry.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby Marcuse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Kevin_Durant wrote:I have a lot of ideas I want to put on paper. I think they sound like good ideas, but executing them perfectly is another thing entirely. I mean, look at The Purge, for example. I am obsessed with deconstructions of genres and tropes, so some of my ideas include a deconstruction of Pocket Monsters and Youkai Watch. I also have one that is not necessarily a deconstruction, or not at all, but it's about a dystopian future where people modifying their bodies to become completely robotic is a popular fashion trend; I'd like to think it's a satire on the fashion industry.

I'd suggest putting them down anyway, even if they're poor concepts. It gives you practice of executing concepts and if you don't like them when they're done you can simply chuck 'em.

(Yes I'm aware that's easier said than done, but...it's the only useful advice I can give. Write badly, as long as you write, and execution will improve.)

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Bromo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Marcuse wrote:
Kevin_Durant wrote:I have a lot of ideas I want to put on paper. I think they sound like good ideas, but executing them perfectly is another thing entirely. I mean, look at The Purge, for example. I am obsessed with deconstructions of genres and tropes, so some of my ideas include a deconstruction of Pocket Monsters and Youkai Watch. I also have one that is not necessarily a deconstruction, or not at all, but it's about a dystopian future where people modifying their bodies to become completely robotic is a popular fashion trend; I'd like to think it's a satire on the fashion industry.

I'd suggest putting them down anyway, even if they're poor concepts. It gives you practice of executing concepts and if you don't like them when they're done you can simply chuck 'em.

I have an idea of what I want to write, but I'm a perfectionist and barely any of my creations satisfy me.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby Marcuse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Kevin_Durant wrote:
Marcuse wrote:

I have an idea of what I want to write, but I'm a perfectionist and barely any of my creations satisfy me.

Believe me I completely understand. I've just had to basically tell myself that the more I write something badly the more I learn how to do it better, so I write more. A little bit like finger painting before you make something you're proud of. Writing less than perfectly isn't a bad thing, it's just how we learn. But I don't want to make a big deal out of it, more than I wanted to be generally encouraging.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:45 pm

Is anybody else going to make an attempt this year?

I'm gonna try but I tend to be doomed to failure.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:52 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby reallifegirl » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:58 pm

Just sit in front of your computer and keysmash until a story appears.

"JKSBHJKLBHFKJHSJKHLKSJFHLKJSHLKJSHKLJFHKJHFSLK Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed. A yellow dressinggown, ungirdled, was sustained gently behind him by the mild morning air. He held the bowl aloft and intoned, "INTROIBO AD ALTARE DEI"..."

reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:30 am

I've been considering it too, but it's like already the first night. Hmm.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext