Would anyone be interested in this?

A place to hang your fingerpaints, blue ribbons and the things you've created.

Would anyone be interested in this?

Postby LegionofShrooms » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:30 am

Soooooo... The writing bug has kinda bit me of late, and I've got a lot of ideas rattling around in my head I want to take at crack at.

Basically, what I'm thinking of doing is a sci-fi series of stories all loosely connected and based around the crew of a single ship, but with less an over-arcing plot and more a set of anthology of interest stories. There would be certain recurring themes, ideas or plot points, but it wouldn't necessarily be the kind of story with a single, set goal and a regular beginning, middle and end (although some of the sub-stories may feature these things).

Now what I was hoping was, if I posted these stories here (admittedly they'll likely be posted piecemeal as I finish certain sections), would anyone be interested in reading them and giving me some constructive feedback, helping with brain storming, suggestions for improved or new stories, etc?

This would strictly be an as desired thing, and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to be held to any sort of obligation for it. But I'm always looking to hone my writing, and potentially I'd ideally like to get the collection of them published.

For a point of reference, Douglass Adams, Ray Bradbury, Pratchett , Lovecraft and Arthur C Clarke are among but a few of the artists responsible for inspiring and influencing me, although that's a woefully incomplete list (and I'll freely admit that I doubt my work is even in the same state as some of theirs, nevermind the same country).

Soooooo... Would anyone here be into this? I intend to move forward with my writing regardless, I just wanted to gauge interest in the idea to see if I could potentially bounce ideas off of peeps here as I find it helps to talk out ideas with someone and I like to get constructive feedback-even if it's highly critical-if it has rational reasoning behind it and helps me hone my craft.

Last edited by LegionofShrooms on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Re: Would anyone be interested in this?

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:36 am

LegionofShrooms wrote:Basically, what I'm thinking of doing is a sci-fi series of stories all loosely connected and based around the crew of a single ship, but with less an over-arcing plot and more a set of analogy of interest stories.

I don't understand what you mean here. Did you mean to write "anthology"? In any event if you're looking for some help I'll jump right in for ya, sir. One of these days I'm going to get off my proverbial butt and start writing that serial with Kate. One of these days. In the meantime let's do this.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby LegionofShrooms » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:56 am

Matthew Notch wrote:
LegionofShrooms wrote:Basically, what I'm thinking of doing is a sci-fi series of stories all loosely connected and based around the crew of a single ship, but with less an over-arcing plot and more a set of analogy of interest stories.

I don't understand what you mean here. Did you mean to write "anthology"? In any event if you're looking for some help I'll jump right in for ya, sir. One of these days I'm going to get off my proverbial butt and start writing that serial with Kate. One of these days. In the meantime let's do this.

No idea what you're talking about Notch. No grammar mistakes here. Nope. None here. No sir. You're seeing things.

*grumblegrumble*auto-correct*grumblegrumble*

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:58 am

Hey, if anything this highlights the value of a good cheap editor.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby octoberpumpkin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 am

I'm sadly not the best to correct grammar and spelling, but I'd love to read and give feedback on the story and characters if you need

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby LegionofShrooms » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:34 pm

octoberpumpkin wrote:I'm sadly not the best to correct grammar and spelling, but I'd love to read and give feedback on the story and characters if you need

Feedback of any kind is welcome, be it about grammar, narrative, characters, flow, logic, positive, negative, highly critical, Gordon Ramsey styled anger rants, whatever. Anything that helps me improve my craft and my work I will take into consideration. I admittedly might debate it if I disagree on the point, but only of I can back up my standpoint with some sort of valid reason. No input will be dismissed offhand.

The only feedback and criticism I don't like is the baseless kind, and I've seen very little-if any-of that around this site.

LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep