Carrie Learns to Draw

A place to hang your fingerpaints, blue ribbons and the things you've created.

Re: Carrie Learns to Draw

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:42 pm

Thanks Nisi!

Today's lecture covered light and shadow on 3-dimensional forms. I learned some stuff I didn't know and practised a fair bit, but all I've got to show is a page of doodles and sketches of basic shapes and so on with different lighting.

9_shadow.jpeg
9_shadow.jpeg (82.44 KiB) Viewed 4819 times

The second part of the assignment was to draw some objects from life with a directional light source, but it's getting late so I'm going to do that tomorrow.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 pm

Drawing light and shadow from life, as I mentioned yesterday.

Now, what objects are small enough to fit on the table by my lamp, and mildly more interesting shapes than plain old cubes and so on, but still simple enough that drawing the outline won't be the hard part, and I can focus on the shading? I know! Dice!

9_shadows_life.jpeg
9_shadows_life.jpeg (90.36 KiB) Viewed 4806 times

It took me so many goes to get the perspective on a dodecahedron right, I almost threw in the towel. I couldn't face the d20 or d10, and the smaller dice were much like the shapes I did yesterday, so I chucked in a lip balm tube for something curved, and called it a day.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:34 am

Light and shadow on more advanced forms.

10_advanced_forms.jpeg
10_advanced_forms.jpeg (75.3 KiB) Viewed 4790 times

Again got an assignment to draw from life, which it's too late to do tonight.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon May 07, 2018 12:59 pm

Well it's been about three weeks but I finally did the assignment from the last lecture. It's not great but most of the problem I think is with the outline, which wasn't the focus for this. I shall try and get back into doing this every day, though.

10_advanced_forms_life.jpeg.jpeg
10_advanced_forms_life.jpeg.jpeg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 4738 times

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue May 08, 2018 11:55 pm

Two lectures in one update!

First, geometric forms in the human face:
11_forms_face.jpeg
11_forms_face.jpeg (55.67 KiB) Viewed 4720 times

Not entirely happy with any of those but it was just doodling along to the lecture. No assignment, which surprised me.

Second, geometric forms in landscapes (again, now with shadow):
12_forms_landscape.jpeg
12_forms_landscape.jpeg (87.46 KiB) Viewed 4720 times

Not too displeased with that. Though some of the mountains are better than others. I struggle a bit with following the landscape lectures because the instructor always draws his mountains very regular, very similar, and very steep, and if I try and deviate too much in an attempt to make them more reasonable and varied, it gets hard to follow. I think I struck a happy medium here. His tree looked a lot better than mine but I honestly think my mountains look at least as good as his, some of them better.

I also bought some sketching pencils and that second picture was my first one using anything other than a plain old HB writing pencil. I think it helps!

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu May 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Value. That is, the different shades and tones in a drawing. Which we've been doing in the name of shadows and highlights for a while now, but we're learning more about it.

Just doodles from this lecture, but I reckon I'm pretty good at gradients.

13_value.jpeg
13_value.jpeg (136.66 KiB) Viewed 4708 times

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat May 19, 2018 12:06 am

More work on value. This time a "true-life" drawing from this reference image. I have to say I'm not exactly displeased with this one, although the scanned image doesn't look quite as good as the paper drawing, for whatever reason.

14_apple.jpeg
14_apple.jpeg (180.11 KiB) Viewed 4674 times

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Previous