Carrie Learns to Draw

A place to hang your fingerpaints, blue ribbons and the things you've created.

Carrie Learns to Draw

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:36 pm

You might already know I'm fond of drawing: I've posted a few things in the general art thread, and mentioned them on IRC/Discord, and I've definitely improved a lot in the last year or so from practicing. But I have a lot to learn, and I just signed up to an online course which I'm hoping will help.

I'm gonna post the assignments from the course on here as I go through it. If anyone has any comments or feedback it'd be welcomed.

The first tutorial and assignment, which I did yesterday, was to draw an eye. That'll also be the last assignment in the course, so we'll see how far I've come. I'm not too disappointed in my first attempt though, all things considered:

1_eye.jpg
1_eye.jpg (130.18 KiB) Viewed 7923 times

I definitely messed up the eyelashes.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Re: Carrie Learns to Draw

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 pm

That was yesterday's assignment, even though I only just posted it. Today's was about line quality and contrast, and contour lines. The assignment was to try and draw the contours of an object while only looking at the object and not at the drawing. Can you tell what they are?

2_lines.jpg
2_lines.jpg (104.1 KiB) Viewed 7909 times

Spoiler: show
1. is a bottle
2. is a pencil
3. is a slipper. I lost track slightly and accidentally drew over one of the others, but oh well.

I also did a couple of my favourite line doodles, but paying attention to line quality and trying to add contrast. I'm kinda happy with the Milky Way but not too keen on the tree.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:35 pm

I got the first two but thought that the third one was a purse.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:13 pm

More contour lines today. Drawing a boot from life, this time not blindly and not so quickly either.

3_boot.jpeg
3_boot.jpeg (121.25 KiB) Viewed 7875 times

Of course, I love to make life difficult for myself, so although I have several pairs of boots, I didn't think of picking the one without the fluffy lining protruding from the top.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Today's about cross-contour lines, which it turns out means shading in the direction of the surface and its curves. I took yesterday's drawing and shaded it with cross-contour lines.

4_boot_shaded.jpeg
4_boot_shaded.jpeg (137.87 KiB) Viewed 7856 times

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Do you have like a textbook or something on how to draw these things or is it just taught in class? I wouldn't mind attempting a couple of these myself.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:23 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:Do you have like a textbook or something on how to draw these things or is it just taught in class? I wouldn't mind attempting a couple of these myself.

It's an online course with video lectures, although the instructor also offers feedback and support via the Q&A section on the course site, and a private facebook group. This is it. It's not free, but don't pay any attention to the "X time left at this price:" it seems like it's always/usually on sale at the same "discount."

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:38 pm

The next section of the course is all about shape and form. Starting with the basics of geometric shapes. Two parts to the assignment today: first, to find some images and break them down into geometric shapes. I did two: this dinosaur and this landscape. The result:

5_shapes.jpeg
5_shapes.jpeg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 7816 times

The dinosaur was more fun and turned out better.

The second part was to think up an object or a character and build an image out of shapes, not going any further than the basic geometric shapes. I did a character I'm playing in a roleplaying game:

5_character.jpeg
5_character.jpeg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 7816 times

Guess what fantasy race he is.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:10 am

That dinosaur looks like a steampunk robot dinosaur.

CarrieVS wrote:Guess what fantasy race he is.

Vulcan. What do I win?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 am

It will be amazing to see your sketching abilities grow Carrie, I look forward to when you finally draw a Vulcan Mona Lisa or something as equally awesome.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:47 am

If he was a Vulcan I'd have done another triangle for his eyebrow. But you know the idea of steampunk robot deinonychus, I kinda like! I may just turn it into that.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Starting from the basic geometric shapes, today we drew a landscape. The instructor just did mountains, lake with the reflection in, and a tower, but I tried to put in a few more details, just for practice. I like some bits better than others. What does anyone think?

6_landscape.jpeg
6_landscape.jpeg (83.55 KiB) Viewed 7770 times

Each time we learn a new thing we use the things we learned before as well, so this has cross-contouring as well as using shapes for composition, and that makes me feel like I'm really starting to progress.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Continuing the focus on geometric shapes, but this time creating characters. This was a challenge: I actually threw in the towel yesterday, and started afresh on the same assignment today, instead of moving on.

These are both guys I play in different D&D campaigns: Kamaris the Tiefling Warlock, who is not a happy chap, to put it mildly. And Gareth the Half-Orc Paladin, who in spite of a difficult start in life, is really a lovely guy. You may or may not have seen me talk about them in the D&D thread.

I'd love to hear what anyone thinks, especially about the faces.

7_characters.jpeg
7_characters.jpeg (92.85 KiB) Viewed 7743 times

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Moving on from two-dimensional shape to three-dimensional form, today. Most of the lecture was nothing I didn't really know but I did some practice on various objects from my pencil case - ink cartridge for my fountain pen, my folding ruler, and the slightly more complex form of my combined rubber/pencil sharpener.

8_forms.jpeg
8_forms.jpeg (73.43 KiB) Viewed 7701 times

I did make an attempt at a pair of scissors but they're the kind with elaborately curved handles and not many actual edges, and really need shadow and highlight to make them look like what they are.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby NisiOptimum » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Wow, you are really good. I love Gareth's face. He looks like he's failing to contain excitement, like he's waiting at the airport to give that axe to his fiancee (who presumably loves axes).

NisiOptimum
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Duke of Chrome

Next