Baffling and obnoxious driving behavior

Discussion, in general

Re: Baffling and obnoxious driving behavior

Postby ghijkmnop » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:53 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:I was taught that, at a light, you pull up until you are able to only see the license over the hood (bonnet). This four-car length thing accomplishes one thing: it stretches traffic back to the previous light, and prevents people from entering turning lanes, i.e it creates massive bottlenecks. Tighten it up.

There's such a thing as a middle ground. I was taught to stop while still able to see tyres and tarmac, but no firther back than that.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby mancityfooty » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Yeah, if you can see the bottom of their tires/tyres then that's supposed to be half your car length.

I am reading a little somewhere else so I'm not going over this whole thread, but the people who see that construction is coming up and stay in the lane that will be closed ahead, but stay in it and force their way in.
I've literally held up a one finger salute to one of them before, and those times are the only time I ever tailgate.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:52 am

ghijkmnop wrote:
Sekhmet wrote:
cmsellers wrote: the second car left a huge gap between it and the car at the light.

I was taught to leave a large space (4 car lengths - the number of cars behind you, slowly creeping up as people stop behind you) in front of you at a light to provide a buffer to help reduce the damage that might be caused by a person who can’t stop. This isn’t the most practical in a large city and people will think you’re crazy but if you do it right you never need to stop completely at a light. They many have been someone who learned this as well.

This doesn’t mean you don’t pull up to let someone in the right turn lane though.

Times have definitely changed. I was taught that, at a light, you pull up until you are able to only see the license over the hood (bonnet). This four-car length thing accomplishes one thing: it stretches traffic back to the previous light, and prevents people from entering turning lanes, i.e it creates massive bottlenecks. Tighten it up.

When my wife got rear ended at the end of January if she would've been stopped as described above it would've resulted in her also slamming into the car ahead of her. That was on a two lane city road and happened in between two lighted intersections that are a strip mall apart. 30 mph zone.

That said, all driving is situational. If you can leave a ton of space I say "Fuck It". If that will inconvenience another driver then don't do it. But idgaf if I'm in Baltimore or D.C. I'm leaving a half car length because I know I can close that gap once things get moving since you know a douchebag will try to cut in.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby mancityfooty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:35 am

iMURDAu wrote: But idgaf if I'm in Baltimore or D.C. I'm leaving a half car length because I know I can close that gap once things get moving since you know a douchebag will try to cut in.

My little Mazda2 is quick off the line and so I say fuck 'em. The bastards around here seem mystified by a green light.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby ghijkmnop » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:36 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 pm

Cars made within the past 15 years are most definitely not built to fall apart when rear ended. Mommysboy McCowardass hit my wife hard enough to leave a plate imprint and move the car a good 4 feet or more forward. The only repairs our car required was the bumper (plastic, basically) to be replaced and a small bar inside the bumper assembly got bent. I understand crumple zones but that's for severe impacts. Older cars, yeah they're fucked. The 96 Cherokee I used to have would've been needing a new... back half if it got hit like that.

Now if you're hit hard enough from behind that you hit the car ahead of you and your car is disabled because of it then staying back would've been a good idea imo. So why bother risking your ability to get around? You'd have to come up with a rental, the insurance deductible, pay for the tow, deal with a handful of insurance companies who want to assign blame to anyone who isn't paying them for a policy, etc.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:33 pm

Don't you guys have lines to indicate where you're supposed to stand before a traffic light?

This guy/gal is doing it wrong, but the pic serves to make it clear what I mean.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 pm

Piter Lauchy wrote:Don't you guys have lines to indicate where you're supposed to stand before a traffic light?

Yes, but some people are idiots. Also, if that car was pulled up to the line, I'd think the driver would have a hard time seeing the light.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Yesterday we were on the road literally all of 2 minutes before witnessing an accident. Two minutes into a 5 1/2 hour drive. The interchange between 70 and 81 is having work done on it and when you try to merge onto westbound 70 from northbound 81 oh it's too funny. You get to the top of the spiraly on ramp and there's a sign that says NO MERGE AREA and boom you're left with no merge area and wasn't about arms length from the no merge area the best place to put the sign that signifies such a thing? ;)

So we hear metal on metal during our chugottabekittenme moment. A pickup pulling a trailer pushed a car two spots ahead of us into the front of a guardrail. At a low speed no injuries or casualties but still wtf. I might've gotten it on the dashcam but I haven't pulled the sd card to check.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:32 pm

Lately I've seen two seperate drivers decide that not only are they going to pass on the right, they aren't even going to bother to actually get all the way in the right lane. No, instead, they go in the center of the road, effectively attempting to push the car in the left lane off the road.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:44 pm

I've decided the best way to deal with obnoxious driving behavior is if/when I get beside the driver to do a Donkey Kong taunt from Smash Bros.

Spoiler: show

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:54 am

cmsellers wrote:
reallifegirl wrote:This is how my last car got totalled -- a guy made a left across an intersection without looking and I smashed into the driver's side of his car because I couldn't brake fast enough.

Who was ruled liable for the accident?

Can't speak to RLG's case specifically, but my dad was in an identical crash; if you make an unprotected left without looking and collide, it's your fault. In my dad's case, the first thing the guy said stepping out of his vehicle was "where did you come from?" Then, when the cop arrived, he complained that my dad had been going too fast. It was an obvious lie, and as the officer informed him, irrelevant, because he'd made an unprotected left without yielding.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:17 pm

There's a guy I encounter on my morning commute sometimes. He's the worst. Drives a 20 year old truck with a Degeneration X decal on it. For those who are unaware, that's a pro wrestling clique from about.... 20 years ago. Classy fellas btw.

I have bestowed the title of "Ass Rider Supreme" to him. Don't get in front of him, he's on your bumper. Today it was too funny. I was behind him on a two lane road. We came upon a school bus picking up kids. There were 4 cars between him and the bus. Right after the bus takes off he's on the back bumper of the car ahead of him and is throwing his hands up like he's irritated and inconvenienced by the poor bastard ahead of him. A minute later that car turned onto another street. So what does Ass Rider Supreme do? Gets on the bumper of the next car, and so on until he's tailgating a schoolbus that was going almost 10 over the speed limit. I assume, since I was going the speed limit and they were pulling away from me.

Oh also today before that incident I watched him ride someone's bumper up to a stoplight. I mean, how fast do you expect someone to approach a freshly lit red light in a 25 mph zone?

Another thing that idiot does is troll. He will sit in the turn lane at a green light with no oncoming vehicles, perfectly able to make a turn, but will not go until the light is about to turn red so everyone else gets stuck waiting. But is in a omfgsuperduperhurry at all other times. Because he's not in a hurry, he just wants to play games.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:08 am

ghijkmnop wrote:All cars are now designed to basically self-destruct at the slightest tap now in order to protect the occupants. I understand the fear of being pushed into another car if rear-ended, but getting rear-ended now pretty much results in a totaled car, and if you're pushed into another car, it's the car behind you's fault-- so if your car's wrecked anyway, fuck 'em all.

I heard a story from a retired teacher that he was held liable (he was in that exact situation) for the damage to the car in front of him because they said he should have left a bigger gap to prevent it, both of the other cars lacked insurance if I remembered correctly.

As for gaps in driving? I was taught to drive largely by my own father who learned to drive in those frozen lakes during the Finnish winter, one of the things learned was to leave fairly large gaps (at least to these tailgating standards of other drivers) which many people comment on but I have determined to be a more efficient method of driving.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

PreviousNext