Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Me: <something I actually mean in earnest>
Other guy: Hahaha that's so funny
Me: I wasn't making a joke, I was serious
OG: Haha it's still funny.

I'm probably the one being unreasonable here because no-one else ever seems to even grasp that fact it might possibly make anyone feel bad to have their serious opinions or ideas interpreted as a joke.

I know I'm over-sensitive about a lot of things, and this is probably one which is why I put this in the Minor Annoyances thread even though to me it's not really minor, it actually makes me feel really bad, but am I really the only person who minds it at all, to the extent that no-one else can even comprehend that it's hurtful to me?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:31 pm

CarrieVS wrote:I know I'm over-sensitive about a lot of things, and this is probably one which is why I put this in the Minor Annoyances thread even though to me it's not really minor, it actually makes me feel really bad, but am I really the only person who minds it at all, to the extent that no-one else can even comprehend that it's hurtful to me?

No, I think it’s beyond annoying when people do it to me, too. Likewise for people who act horrified that I would be sarcastic about [something I was asking/saying in earnest].

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 pm

See, I have the opposite problem. Though people mostly laugh when I'm being serious, it's because I phrase things in odd ways, rather than because they take it for humor. However when I intend to joke, even people who know me think I'm serious fairly often. People who don't know me think I'm being serious most of the time.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:01 am

FiveThirtyEight made a mistake in analysis that I see a lot of sources make. The issue is that when sources look at whether a party has total control of a state, they look at who controls the governor's office and the two houses of the legislature. Which oversimplifies a number of issues, but most are relatively minor.

However there is one issue that is not: if a party has a supermajority in both house of the legislature, and the state constitution allows a supermajority of the legislature to override the governor (or a mere majority in six states), then the party which controls the legislature has total control, regardless of whether the other party controls the governorship or not. This has been the situation in Massachusetts for a large chunk of my life. According to Ballotpedia, similar situations currently prevail in Maryland, and with the parties reversed in North Carolina.

It annoys me enough when other sources do this sort of thing, but I expect better from FiveThirtyEight. This is especially annoying because with Democrats poised to take governorships in red states and to expand legislative majorities in blue states, we could see more situations like this, and the analysis does not consider them.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:02 am

Is it just for me, or is the new Gmail format really slow to delete messages and show messages in the trash for everyone? It's getting on my nerves.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:15 am

Today is the last day of early voting. After voting on election day for the primary and waiting half an hour in line, I decided to vote early this time. So I went to ACC and ... waited half an hour in line. According to one of the volunteers there, the first two days of early voting were just as bad. So in the future, I guess I know not to vote on election day, the last early voting day, or the first two early voting days.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Roomie set a frying a frying pan of oil on fire. It wasn't too bad, and we had baking soda handy, but he cunningly did it a) when we had a guest over for lunch and b) on the first day of real snow. The house was full of smoke for a while, and we had to open all the windows and shiver while coughing.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Tuli » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 am

I'm listening to my Deezer Flow (the things that's supposed to most reflect my favorites and preferences) for the first time in a while and every once in a while it keeps putting on random Russian tracks for some reason. That in itself could be interesting, if they fit in with what I normally listen to at all. But they DON'T and it's just annoying. What gives, Deezer? Do they think I must have an interest in basic Russian rock due to my geographical location? Are they paid off to promote these tracks?! I've definitely given no cause for this with my listening habits. :|

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby cmsellers » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Tuli wrote:I'm listening to my Deezer Flow (the things that's supposed to most reflect my favorites and preferences) for the first time in a while and every once in a while it keeps putting on random Russian tracks for some reason. That in itself could be interesting, if they fit in with what I normally listen to at all. But they DON'T and it's just annoying. What gives, Deezer? Do they think I must have an interest in basic Russian rock due to my geographical location? Are they paid off to promote these tracks?! I've definitely given no cause for this with my listening habits. :|

YouTube keeps recommending Pokemon videos even though I have never watched a Pokemon video. So either the algorithm concluded that since I watch videos about animals, math, and "strategy games" (only EU4, but they've been pushing that whole category forever), I must like Pokemon and won't give up trying to convince me of it, which is annoying as fuck, or Google knows I am friends with Tess, which is downright creepy.

Even worse, Google News won't stop giving me news about Amy Schumer's pregnancy even though I keep not clicking and telling it "fewer stories like this." I assume it's because I watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and all sex-positive young female Jewish comedians with their own TV show attract the same demographics somehow, even though Rachel Bloom is a national treasure, while Amy Schumer is an obnoxious, sanctimonious, narcissistic thief of both clothing and jokes.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby SlayerGoddess » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:15 am

My Facebook feed is full of locals complaining about Surf City's "historic" swing bridge coming down for an (objectively better) higher, longer bridge that boats can pass underneath, and is safe for bikers and pedestrians. First of all, it was made in the 50s- the 1950s, and I've lived in the original 13 colonies my whole life. I've been to quite a few genuinely historic places, and they are all much older than that! The bridge is just old and outdated! Not everything old needs to be preserved, and there is good reason that there aren't many swing bridges around anymore! I'll be glad when traffic doesn't back up miles past my house during tourist season because of that damn swing bridge opening every hour! If they are so desperate to see/drive on a swing bridge, there are others in NC and SC! The swing bridge is full of lead, and it's in the contract of the company that built the new bridge that they have to deal with it. The DOT owned it, not the Mayor of Surf City, or the town.

I survived watching "50 Shades of Grey" for TCS Movie Night

3/7/15

NEVER FORGET
SlayerGoddess
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: HER

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:21 pm

I wonder if they play Swing Music on the Swing Bridge when it's open.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:29 pm

My hometown had a similar fight over a similar bridge 20 years ago. It was a rusty old turd of a bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway and they had to raise it roughly a million times a day. I have not missed it once. My only lament is that they had to tear down a Pizza Hut to make room on one side.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:08 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby SlayerGoddess » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:I wonder if they play Swing Music on the Swing Bridge when it's open.

No, they never did. At least they're not complaining about what they never had.

I survived watching "50 Shades of Grey" for TCS Movie Night

3/7/15

NEVER FORGET
SlayerGoddess
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: HER

Postby JamishT » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:35 am

ghijkmnop wrote:
It's quite possible that the Google Bot is using data from this site (run by and frequented by known Pokemon enthusiasts) along with the stored cookie from here in an attempt to target your eyeballs.

So that's why I've been getting recommendations for videos and articles about why I should join the Klan, footage of puppy puntings, and recipes for human meat.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext