Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:47 pm

It used to be a $100 premium for bluetooth but you can get cheap ones for a $50 premium now. Mind you, it's still 'you get what you pay'. So wired headphones are probably the way to go. They give the best sound anyways because it's always analog. And if your cellphone/music player doesn't support a headphone jack you can get a portable DAC/Amplifier for about $60.00 on Amazon. Mine costs about $70.00 and is a far superior sound/product to what cellphones put out for sound. But I'm biased towards it. And just about every PC out there has a headphone jack.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:08 pm

I got a call from Comcast while I was at work yesterday, offering some kind of promotional deal to upgrade my service at the same price I'm paying now if I sign a two year contract. I told the rep I was interested, and she put me on hold, and then the call dropped. I called back to the number that called me, and I got an operator who said she couldn't reconnect me but she could mark the account so I would get a call back within 24 hours. I did not get a call back within 24 hours.

I went on Comcast's website to see if I could find the offer there. Their website won't display any offers for existing customers. I have to call them and talk to a sales rep if I want to upgrade my service, because apparently I'm getting my internet from a company in the 1970's. I called their line and asked the new rep if she had any idea what they could have been talking about, and she informed me that I wasn't eligible for any promotions she could see.

I'm not any worse off than I was, apart from wasting some of my time. I'm just impressed that Comcast sucks so badly that they even managed to give me a terrible customer service experience on a call that they initiated.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:52 pm

You have to play it right. Get the call escalated.

"I'm not eligible for any promotions? But your company just called and offered me a promotion. Let me talk to your supervisor."

If "supe" doesn't hook it up then threaten to cancel.

"You're a supervisor and can't see that I was just called by Comcast and offered a two year contract? I'm not sure I want to stay a customer if you can't honor the offers that you call me with".

They'll either come around and give you the deal or transfer you to a person whose job it is to retain customers and they'll do it.

Or, and highly possible since it's Comcast, they'll call your bluff and cancel your service if you allow them.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:57 pm

I went to the Asian supermarket to get golden kiwis, and they didn't currently have them. Not wanting to leave empty-handed, I looked around for anything else I might eat. Yellow dragon fruit were on sale.

I've had dragon fruit twice. The first time I had it I was in my early teens. It resembled watermelon, and I didn't like watermelon at the time, so I didn't try it again until over a decade later. That time, it still resembled watermelon, but A. it was slightly tart, and B. my tastes had changed to like watermelon in the interim.

So I decided I would try this yellow dragon fruit. I'm not sure if it's the fact that I'm doing keto, or if my tastes have changed again, or if the yellow dragonfruit is different from the red, but it is disgustingly, cloyingly, intolerably sweet.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:13 am

What’s the point of a “Find My Car” app if it can’t locate my car closer than sixty feet?

Two weeks ago, I couldn’t find where I parked my car at work (because I’m a jackass with an alarmingly poor sense of direction). After some coworkers (who didn’t laugh too hard, all things considered) helped me find it, I downloaded an app that was supposed to help me locate my car if I recorded my location when I parked it. Since then I’ve updated it with my location every weekday, but haven’t always needed it after work.

Today, I did. And when I looked up where I said I parked, it led me in (what I eventually found out was) the opposite direction of my car. Sitting in the driver’s seat (where I was when I put in where I parked this afternoon), it said I was 65 feet away from my car. Though I found it much sooner than I did last time.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Australia » Sat May 04, 2019 8:29 pm

I'd recommend the "Dude Where's My Car" app because it's eventually accurate but that ends up with you in an alien conspiracy that relies heavily on a Rubik's cube and once you do locate your car, you end up in an argument with a drive-thru intercom and it's a whole thing, trust me.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Sun May 05, 2019 2:03 am

I'm really pissy today, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:05 am

Australia wrote:I'd recommend the "Dude Where's My Car" app because it's eventually accurate but that ends up with you in an alien conspiracy that relies heavily on a Rubik's cube and once you do locate your car, you end up in an argument with a drive-thru intercom and it's a whole thing, trust me.

Does it come with a tattoo that either says “dude” or “sweet,” though? ...It doesn’t matter; sign me up!

Funny (and mildly annoying) anecdote that... isn’t really about that movie at all, actually. When I first started college (living on campus), I was going for a walk one night, and as I turned on a side street, some black guy started yelling “dude, where’s my car?” at me. I never figured out if that was the only white people reference he knew, or if he honestly thought he was funny, or what.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Pedgerow » Sun May 05, 2019 4:56 pm

That's probably my fault. I dressed up as you and stole that guy's car about five minutes before you got there. You really should have been more sympathetic.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby cmsellers » Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 am

A little over a week ago, I broke the chair I ordered from Home Depot by leaning too far back in it; it was under warranty but the person told me to just return it and reorder. I ordered it Saturday or Sunday and shipping to the store, today was the last possible day I could get it, shipping to me, tomorrow was. So I reasoned "I'll ship to the store and very likely have it by the weekend."

Well, it didn't even ship until Wednesday, and of course it didn't arrive until today. So I didn't get it by the weekend and now had to go to the store, where there was a ten minute line. It arrived faster when I had it shipped to me directly, and I'm wondering whether the average time for shipping to the store is actually faster. Any rate, this has taught me to never ship to the store unless my packages start getting stolen.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue May 07, 2019 9:14 pm

Freeview channels trailing programs on channels that aren't free.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby JamishT » Wed May 08, 2019 2:45 am

CarrieVS wrote:Freeview channels trailing programs on channels that aren't free.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Wed May 08, 2019 2:50 am

I think she means broadcast networks airing ads for shows on cable?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed May 08, 2019 1:08 pm

JamishT wrote:
CarrieVS wrote:Freeview channels trailing programs on channels that aren't free.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

I was brought up in Yorkshire, so I'm too cheap to pay for TV when there are dozens of free-to-view channels.

It's intensely frustrating when I see a trailer for a program that interested me... and then at the end they casually mention that it's on some other channel, which is not a freeview channel.

I imagine it's intentional, in an attempt to get viewers to decide they need paid-for TV after all.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Pedgerow » Wed May 08, 2019 8:27 pm

Certain Freeview channels are owned by Sky, I think. There are definitely TV channels that you get for free which show History Channel-type stuff (both of the Nazi-documentary and alien-conspiracy variety), and if you have satellite TV, those channels are listed among other channels which are clearly owned by the same company and which show a lot of the same stuff, so they advertise each other's programming. But not all of those channels are free.

I'm very impressed if you find anything to watch on those channels. I pay over £150 a year for basically just the news now. But I have enough DVDs of TV programmes that I refuse to pay for anything else. If I get really stuck, I can always buy myself another series of Silicon Valley, since it turns out that's great.

EDIT: Also, that's why they used to give you Sky Sports News for free, which I watched almost constantly back when it was free. But it hasn't been free for many years. I refuse to pay the ransom, predictably, so all that happens is I pay much less attention to sport.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

PreviousNext