Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby Maize » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:46 pm

I took the bus this morning to work. Before this I would carpool with my sis since her job is probably ten minutes from mine. Since her kids are on fall break(she took time off), I was going to take the bus. I've not taken the bus to work, but I do know what I rode from work, and I had no problem googling the route. Bus getting to transit center went smoothly. Next bus came about ten minutes later, and I got on. At about the 30min mark, I knew the area didn't seem right, but I figured it was because it's dark, and I generally suck at directions. 45 minutes in, I'm in denial that I managed to mess up, but I checked Google maps to figure out how far I was. I was edging towards another city, in the opposite direction of where I worked. I rechecked to see estimated time to get to where my job is, and I'm going to end up being almost two hours late. I didn't realize this bus had two different routes. What's funny is the original trip I planned would have put me about an hour before my shift starts( which I wouldn't mind, since I could wait in the break room). Even if I figured out earlier, I still would be screwed since there's only one transit that I know of, which I can take to get to my job. I alerted my team lead, and there's nothing more I can do. Yay Mondays.

Edit: Good news is that I was only 22mins late.

Maize
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 pm

You should have got off at Crackton.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:53 am

Anglerphobe wrote:
Spoiler: show

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Sekhmet » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:09 pm

I put my earrings “in a safe place” after taking them out recently and now I can’t find them. I always wear this pair of studs so my others feel odd.

I know they're somewhere, if only I could remember where that is.

So remember, If the women don’t find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy. –Red Green
Sekhmet
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Sekhmet wrote:I put my earrings “in a safe place” after taking them out recently and now I can’t find them. I always wear this pair of studs so my others feel odd.

A safe place you say?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby cmsellers » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Sekhmet wrote:I put my earrings “in a safe place” after taking them out recently and now I can’t find them.

I read this as "earnings an was like "You lost your life savings and it's only a minor annoyance?"

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Have a guy writing in to my work email who's email is basically: "I bought something from your website and hated it. It was terrible quality, and I would never have bought it if I'd known. Please erase the charge for the thing I bought, and then also send me a free order on top of that to make up for it."

Since he got exactly what he ordered (which is a report, so it's not something we can really do a return on), I'm kind of in the odd-yet-fun position to be like, "I have no idea what to tell you here, except that we don't throw free stuff at people who order stuff without looking at what they're getting."

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Marcuse » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:43 pm

reallifegirl wrote:Have a guy writing in to my work email who's email is basically: "I bought something from your website and hated it. It was terrible quality, and I would never have bought it if I'd known. Please erase the charge for the thing I bought, and then also send me a free order on top of that to make up for it."

Since he got exactly what he ordered (which is a report, so it's not something we can really do a return on), I'm kind of in the odd-yet-fun position to be like, "I have no idea what to tell you here, except that we don't throw free stuff at people who order stuff without looking at what they're getting."

My usual fallback on that is to refer to policy. Just say it's not policy to do what he asks (which it won't be because the guy is a ridiculous chancer) and let him threaten to "take it further". Good, then it's off your fucking desk.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:35 pm

Marcuse wrote:
reallifegirl wrote:Have a guy writing in to my work email who's email is basically: "I bought something from your website and hated it. It was terrible quality, and I would never have bought it if I'd known. Please erase the charge for the thing I bought, and then also send me a free order on top of that to make up for it."

My usual fallback on that is to refer to policy. Just say it's not policy to do what he asks (which it won't be because the guy is a ridiculous chancer) and let him threaten to "take it further". Good, then it's off your fucking desk.

The pro/con of this particular situation is that this guy isn't really a full-time client, just someone buying something ad hoc, so I can't really advance further. But it also means no one is going to care or be bothered if I tell him to fuck off.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 am

I think fluorescent tube lights were designed by the devil. Or at least the fixture in my kitchen. It’s just a hair too narrow to either install or remove a bulb when there’s another one on that side without a lot of both swearing and luck.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Matt the Czar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Discord just had an outage.

"Operation Prepare Your Anus is considered to have been the most thoughtfully planned and masterfully executed humanitarian intervention in American history."-DTanza, alternatehistory.com

Now as a very moral person, I would never sell a pot brownie to a toddler.
I.. I would just GIVE it to them.- CMSellers.
Matt the Czar
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Sekhmet wrote:I put my earrings “in a safe place” after taking them out recently and now I can’t find them. I always wear this pair of studs so my others feel odd.

Hah, I bought a pair of earrings. The next day, I saw the same place selling a similar pair on a more interesting color.

They don't do refunds or exchanges :(

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Krashlia » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:46 am

Whats up with these videos with overblown titles?

Video content: Ben Shapiro explains something to some guy, mostly cooly, while getting in a few ad hominem attacks and strawmen.

Video title: OMFG! Ben Shapiro RUINED THAT GUYS LIFE from the podium!!1!1!1!!! (Update: Guy kills self in bathroom stall 5min later).

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 am

I've been locked out of online payments for my internet since forever because I apparently messed up my security questions, so I have to pay by phone, which is annoying in itself. But since it recognizes my phone number when I call and the system is automated, the only annoying bit is that I have to enter my credit card number (on the pad, because somehow it never understands me when I use the voice system).

Well, I lost my phone and tried to pay via Skype. It didn't recognize my phone but no problem: it asked for the numer associated with the account. I used the number it always called with and it didn't recognize it, so I thought maybe it wanted the number I set up the account under (which was my father's phone number, for reasons). That also didn't work, and the message said I'd be charged five bucks to pay with a customer service person. So I said "fuck that," hung up, and tried again, with the same results.

This time I waited for the customer service person and told her what happened and that I wasn't paying five dollars. She tried to look up my account and couldn't find it through any of the information I gave her, then said she'd been having issues with accounts in Texas and patched me through to someone local (which, why did it ask for my zip code before it put me on with her then).

The Texas person found my account with my phone number no problem (the one the system didn't recognize), but didn't have the authority to waive the five dollar fee so she offered to transfer me to someone who could reset my security questions for the online account. She put me on with someone in New York who could look up my account by phone number and was able to waive the five dollar fee, so I paid her rather than reset the account, since I'll be canceling it probably on Monday anyways when I get Google Fiber tomorrow.

The fact that the third person was able to both find the account and waive the fee and I should be getting Google Fiber tomorrow are the only reasons this isn't in the rant thread. Right now I'm in more of an "I pity the poor suckers who are stuck with Time-Warner Spectrum but at least that won't be me soon, I think" mood than a "fuck you Time-Warner Spectrum you're the worst!" mood.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:19 am

My wife has a minor cold. It's a minor annoyance.

Lol, I'm so witty.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext