Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby cmsellers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:28 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:My wife has a minor cold. It's a minor annoyance.

Lol, I'm so witty.

Are you saying your wife is a minor, Nathan?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 am

I just realized I never sent in a time sheet from my last job. I (obviously) want the money, but I really don’t want to have to put up with the woman that I have to send it to, since the slightest (real or imagined) deviation from how Things Must Be Filled Out completely baffles her.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:32 am

jbobsully11 wrote:I just realized I never sent in a time sheet from my last job. I (obviously) want the money, but I really don’t want to have to put up with the woman that I have to send it to, since the slightest (real or imagined) deviation from how Things Must Be Filled Out completely baffles her.

Find out where she lives and mug her. Repeat until you have all the money you're owed.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Maize » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:32 pm

An electrical outlet in my room started smoking. Nothing was plugged into it. I turned off my wall light switch, and it stopped smoking. What confuses me about that is that outlet isn't connected to that switch, I just did that out of mildly panicking/trying to make it stop. Maintenance came and replaced it; he couldn't figure out what caused the damage. He showed me the outlet, and it looks burnt on one side. I glad it's fixed, but now I'm a bit wary of using it.

Maize
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:30 am

So I bought this Acer laptop four months ago (after much ado), and already one of the screen hinges has broken loose from the case and pops the thing open every time I try to adjust the screen. I've had this happen to other laptops after two years or so, but this is ridiculous. It's under warranty but God knows how long it's going to take them to fix it.

And of course while I'm chatting with "Franklin" in tech support who can barely type in English, their server goes down and I lose the session. The odds of me ever buying another Acer are dropping rapidly.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 am

Maize wrote:An electrical outlet in my room started smoking. Nothing was plugged into it. I turned off my wall light switch, and it stopped smoking. What confuses me about that is that outlet isn't connected to that switch, I just did that out of mildly panicking/trying to make it stop. Maintenance came and replaced it; he couldn't figure out what caused the damage. He showed me the outlet, and it looks burnt on one side. I glad it's fixed, but now I'm a bit wary of using it.

The circuit was overloaded or something caused a short? In either case the breaker should have tripped.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Absentia wrote:So I bought this Acer laptop four months ago (after much ado), and already one of the screen hinges has broken loose from the case and pops the thing open every time I try to adjust the screen. I've had this happen to other laptops after two years or so, but this is ridiculous. It's under warranty but God knows how long it's going to take them to fix it.

And of course while I'm chatting with "Franklin" in tech support who can barely type in English, their server goes down and I lose the session. The odds of me ever buying another Acer are dropping rapidly.

That exact same thing happened to mine, I wonder if that's a common problem for Acer laptops.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Tuli » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:47 am

These days I am dreading any updates to the third-party software or websites I need to use at work, because invariably the updates make things worse for at least a while until we complain enough for them to fix it. Which brings me to today.

There's this website that we are partnered with to sell our products that got an update today. Literally no warning or heads-up at all by the way. So I got a customer and logged in as usual, and SURPRISE! Everything is different! So I had to let the customer in and say that we will deal with the payment later, because I could not for the life of me find the interface where we verify customers and sell products. Then after some poking around I found it hidden away behind 3 clicks, whereas it used to be easily reachable as an icon on the toolbar. Ugh. But that's not the worst of it!

The interface itself looks hideous and is plagued by the Hermann grid illusion! They've placed dark blue boxes with rounded corners in a grid with gaps on a stark white background, ffs. There are so many ways they could avoid or mitigate this illusion by changing literally any of these things. This is graphic design 101! I can't believe they would roll out even a beta design with such an extremely obvious design flaw. They are not exactly a small company and are wholly internet-based, so you'd think they would at least invest in proper design for their website. Looking at this grid is going to give me headaches.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby Paradox » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:08 pm

The mall makes you watch through an entire piece of advertisement to connect to their WiFi.

ಠ_ಠ

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby cmsellers » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Paradox wrote:The mall makes you watch through an entire piece of advertisement to connect to their WiFi.

ಠ_ಠ

Many airports in the US do that too, including my home airport of Austin.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:09 pm

When I was in Costa Rica, the airport WiFi in San Jose required you to watch a Samsung commercial. The connections was terrible, so I had to end up watching the same commercial over and over, and I still wasn't able to play Pokémon Go.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:44 pm

Fun fact: When you return things to Best Buy that were paid for with a credit card, they automatically refund the money to the card. So my dad got the value of a few Christmas presents he gave me that I (for several reasons) had no use for. He knew I was going to return them, but still...

(And don't even get me started on their "restocking fee.")

Unrelated edit to avoid double-posting: It's fun when Windows 8.1 randomly shuts down while I'm in the middle of doing stuff.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:25 am

Browsing a list of TV series to potentially watch I came across one that had "Gobekli Tepe" in the title.
Holy fuck, I didn't realize anyone had made a documentary on Göbekli Tepe yet, this is awesome!

Then I saw that the full title was "Ancient Civilizations: Interstellar Links to Gobekli Tepe."
The first "documentary" on Göbekli Tepe that I'm aware of, and it's some fucking ancient aliens BS.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:21 am

I was looking through the sympathy cards in a store tonight because I had to buy a couple, and I had no idea how stupid a majority of them are. So many are borderline (some just leap that line) condescending, take Scripture out of context, and/or look like a funeral home's wallpaper.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:52 pm

I don't believe in cards because they're rarely ever funny and if they weren't supposed to be funny they just downright suck. But people just keep on giving them to me.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext