Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:27 am

I guess I should be grateful that Hurricane Laura passed me by, but...

1. I had to take stuff in needlessly, though I was too lazy to do like everyone said and take it all in.
2. Amazon, apparently in anticipation of hurricane-induced delays, switched both same-day and next-day shipping to next Tuesday shipping.
3. The post office appears to have given all of its employees the day off based on reports that Laura might brush Houston. I'm basing this assumption on the fact that I was expecting a bunch of packages and got none of them, I didn't see any mail trucks today (none from FedEx or UPS either), and my complex's concierge garbage-collection company did exactly that.

#3 is most annoying, because I'm in a mental state where I can't really read fiction. I ordered a bunch of nonfiction, and only got one of those books by yesterday, which I've already read. Also, I have a bunch of live plants coming. And, like, I get that safety is more important than me getting my books and plants, and I know this is going to sound very Karen-y to say but...

Hurricane Laura was supposed to make landfall at around 1 am. By the time I woke up this morning, the hurricane was entirely past Houston. It seems like it would have been incredibly easy to make a decision about whether to have mail carriers come in at 6 or 7 AM; it's what we do for snow days in New England. And by that point, it should have been clear that Laura was set to completely pass us by.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:17 pm

My bank changed the look of their app for no apparent reason, and now it shows the combined value of my checking and retirement accounts first, which I couldn’t possibly care less about.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:25 pm

Why are you using the same bank for checking and retirement accounts?

I find that local banks and credit unions generally offer the best terms, service, and interest rates. But for IRAs, I thought it was only major brokers offering no-fee trades?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:35 pm

I was using a small, local bank for checking, but they started to charge fees for everything, so I opened an account with Chase because there’s a branch not far from my house (and I was too lazy to compare ten different local banks just for checking accounts, as enticing as [maybe] a few cents’ interest per month sounds). Then I opened the Roth IRA with them a few years later because why not?

I don’t use ATMs much anymore, so I don’t care about ATM fees (though Chase is lousy with those; that’s why they advertise how many ATMs they have and not how much they charge you if you use a different one). If I open a savings account, I might look elsewhere.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:44 am

I had to stop at the grocery store on my way home from work, and even though my sister’s anniversary is tomorrow and I was right next to a liquor store, I forgot to pick something up for them. So I’ll have to do that tomorrow (or think of something else to get).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:53 pm

My kid has a dr appointment in Baltimore tomorrow at Hopkins. So they robo-text me about some online covid screening questions that are mandatory in order to visit.

Naturally, the link was broken.

Supposedly we're all good after I called and talked to someone. Despite the website clearly stating I need to show some green screen confirmation on my phone. Fingers are crossed.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby gisambards » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:30 am

I accidentally crushed an orange in my apartment last night, and even though I thought I'd cleaned it up my entire apartment now smells like orange.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:07 pm

I'd think smelling like orange would be a good thing.

Any rate, I tried to transfer $500 extra to my IRA to take advantage of the Ginsburg-based stock market tanking. Unfortunately, it didn't take (I noticed "cancel" and "submit" are right next to each other), and the market is already rallying.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:39 pm

Aaand it was a dead cat bounce, and the market plunged. I don't think this is about RBG anymore, if it ever was. Now that I know I'm trying to catch a falling knife though, I'm gonna...

Catch a falling knife and put it in my pocket, save it for a rainy day.
Catch a falling knife and put it in my pocket, never let it fade away.

But seriously, the market will go back up, and I'm gonna try to catch this knife to take advantage.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:36 am

I saw my first live raccoon in the wild last night. I was the only car on the road. Yet it very nearly became a dead raccoon.

As I hit the breaks, I'm like "really, my furry dude? Is twenty seconds really worth risking your life?" Then I went back to driving ten miles over the speed limit.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Ok I watch yt on my phone like everyone else. Sometimes I don't close the app but put my phone to sleep because ya know life interrupts and gets in the way of you watching things but you know you're going back to it soon.

And I still don't understand the question I'm prompted with upon awakening my device. "Wish you could watch videos after closing the app?"

Why not ask "Wish mosquitos could come through your windows after closing them?"

Maybe I'm weird but I close out of programs when I want their function to cease. Or else I wouldn't close out of them. I've been using computers since the time of the 80486 and never thought once about how I wished a program still ran after I closed out of it. Now it's constantly offered to me as a boon in my quest to watch videos online.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby JamishT » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:08 pm

I think it comes from the inexplicable habit of apparently many people to listen to music by watching the music videos. The only time I have used that feature of YTPremium is for podcasts I was too lazy to download or stream on my podcast app.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:02 pm

There happens to be a substantial overlap between the videos that I want to watch incognito so that YouTube doesn't track me and the videos YouTube decides to age-restrict, requiring you log in.

It used to be the case that you could easily get around this by embedding the video, but YouTube has recently closed that loophole.

For me, this is a minor annoyance; I just won't watch those videos. but for people who create videos YouTube age-restricts (and they already err far too far on the side of age-restriction), it'll likely be disastrous. First off, it means no people finding. those videos through other websites. Secondly, it means no people discovering their channel through other websites. Thirdly, it means people like me just aren't going to watch them at all. And finally, I can pretty much guarantee that by the end of 2021 there'll be Russian sites pirating and rehosting age-restricted YouTube videos.

I'd say YouTube hasn't thought this through, but because they don't monetize videos they age-restrict, it's probably actually saving them money. It is, however, yet another sign that they don't care about their creators.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:25 am

Despite my working three hours extra last week (33 instead of 30, since I had New Years Eve off), I just noticed I'll be getting paid slightly less than I usually would for a normal three-day week.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:55 pm

I'd consider wage theft more than a "minor annoyance." But maybe that's just me.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext