Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:34 pm

If you live in Canada everyone is getting paid a little less. It's the increase in CPP payments.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:11 pm

cmsellers wrote:I'd consider wage theft more than a "minor annoyance." But maybe that's just me.

Let me clarify: the annoyance was in having to talk to other people about it. It (theoretically) got straightened out.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 pm

Holy double-post, Batman!

I can't find my keys. I vaguely remember seeing them somewhere they shouldn't have been yesterday, but I thought I put them away. I had to use my spare car key today.

I fully expect I'll find the first set on Friday, when I won't have to go anywhere.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:02 am

jbobsully11 wrote:Holy double-post, Batman!

I can't find my keys. I vaguely remember seeing them somewhere they shouldn't have been yesterday, but I thought I put them away. I had to use my spare car key today.

I fully expect I'll find the first set on Friday, when I won't have to go anywhere.

I lost a car key once (though thankfully no other keys) and found it years later, after I'd not only replaced the key but sold the car.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:16 am

Update: When I opened my desk drawer to get my wallet this morning, my keys were sitting on top of everything in there, silently mocking me. No one else in the house moved them.

This reminds me of a TV show I saw once* where two old men build up every moment of our lives, but sometimes they forget something, and we can't find it. When they remember to add it back in, it reappears, but not necessarily where we left it. I seem to have moments like this fairly often.

*second minor annoyance: I can never remember if it was an episode of The Outer Limits or Amazing Stories, and I can't find it (heh) online right now.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:07 am

CarrieVS wrote:I lost a car key once (though thankfully no other keys) and found it years later, after I'd not only replaced the key but sold the car.

Similar story except the car was totaled and I turned it over to insurance.

Anyways, my current car (that replaced that car) has been a complete lemon and is currently not starting. Which is not exactly a minor annoyance, but it's not something I need to deal right now since it died at my apartment complex instead of at HEB.

So rather than deal with my car, I've been ordering food through Amazon Fresh, which is a bit pricier than driving to HEB but cheaper than taking a Lyft there and back. And while the selection is somewhat wanting, at least they keep track of what's in stock.

So today, I realized I'd forgotten one item and tried to add it. They wouldn't let me so I figured "OK, I'll cancel my order and redo it." I wanted to do that in the reverse order, but you can't do "re-add all items to cart" until you cancel, and I had too many items to be assed to do it manually. Well, as a result, there's now five items missing from my order, because they're out, which is confusing to me since I canceled and immediately clicked to re-add. Then I realized: "it probably took their inventory system longer to realize these were back in stock than it took me to click "re-add." I was able to add back four of them by the time I realized that.

So that was a wash in terms of getting what I wanted, and also now the earliest delivery window is 11-1, meaning I won't be having some of these things for breakfast like I'd planned. Remind me never to do that again.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 pm

Hey at least their online ordering system keeps track of inventory. It isn't like that where I work. The customers get a substitute or they can designate "no substitutions" and get noffin. The pickers spend time looking for things that aren't in stock which annoys them too. But unlike Amazon Fresh our inventory is impacted by things like oh for instance cashiers who instead of scanning all the varieties of yogurt a customer buys, they just scan one UPC a bunch of times. So even if it was shown as X amount being in stock it might not be accurate.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:25 pm

I had a text a little while ago from my credit card provider saying I was being sent a new card (my current one having two years left on it) for fraud prevention purposes. I immediately checked my account, assuming they must have detected some fraudulent activity, but there were no transactions I had not made. So I was a bit mystified.

The new card didn't show up in the next week, so I chalked it up to some sort of bizarre and elaborate phishing scheme and did nothing about it.

Today, my card was declined at the supermarket. I'd initially tried to pay contactless as I usually do before remembering that my bill was above the limit, so I put it down to some sort of mishandled error state meaning I couldn't pay with the same card, and used my debit card.

A little later, I tried to pay for a digital resource online and it appeared to go through (though I wasn't paying perfect attention) but I still couldn't access the resource - I put that down to either some kind of bug with the site and figured I'd need to wait a bit to see whether a) my access came through or b) the charge showed up and if not a, either try again or take it up with them, depending on b.

A little later, I tried to buy something online, and my card was declined. So I logged into my account, checked that nothing was wrong, and called the provider.

They told me that although the card number I gave them was correct, I should be using the new card they'd sent out. I remembered the message about a new card, but assured them that I had received no card. The very friendly and helpful person I was talking to, in the friendliest and most helpful way, shrugged her shoulders and said that other people had been reporting the same and Royal Mail seem to be having some issues doing their job. (When she said that, I realised that I'd received no letters in the past week - not that I was particularly expecting any, but usually I at least get a charity begging letter or two in a full week. And having been due to receive two parcels, have so far only had one and that later than scheduled.)

The ten day grace period from dispatching the new card to cancelling the old one had now run out, and there was nothing she could do unless I wanted her to cancel the new card and send out a third. I elected to give it a few more days, as it might be almost here.

She also managed to clear up the reason I'd had a new card. Apparently, someone has had a potential data breach which could have included my card details, so the card's been cancelled as a precaution. I've not had any fraudulent transactions, but I'd rather be without my credit card for (hopefully only) a few days than have the possibility of someone else using it. For the most part, it's only a minor annoyance because I can easily afford to use my debit card for anything I need in that time, and I'm not expecting to need to buy anything I particularly need the protections of using a credit card for.

But what is annoying is that I have a few repeating card payments set up, which won't notify me ahead of time that I need to update them as it's nowhere near the expiry date of the card, so I shall have to track them all down and update them. And a couple of them are due next week, so I may not have the replacement card to input the details from by the time they're supposed to go through. Oh and the digital resource I wanted to pay for will also be a repeating payment, so I'd like to use my credit card not my debit card for it, so I guess I have to wait for that too (it's only for entertainment so again just an irritation, but eh, sucks.)

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby cmsellers » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:34 pm

Email from AT&T Customer Research: "AT&T Wants Your Feedback."

Me: "Oh fuck yeah! Not that they're going to listen, but I can't wait to give them a piece of my mind."

AT&T Survey: Asks three questions about me, none of which allow me to complain about their quality of service or even be considered 'feedback,' then flips me onto an "enter your information to be entered into a sweepstakes."

Me: "Oh, I guess the survey was just a pretext to collect additional customer data. Well, fuck that; I'm not clicking submit."

AT&T: Always raising the bar for shittiness.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:32 pm

"Your content has been removed from youtube"

So I see this email and I'm like o shit wtf. I figured it had something to do with my last upload which was a stream I did of Tecmo Super Bowl 2020 Edition. I didn't mark it for kids and there is some foul language but I didn't think I violated any policies. Wasn't that video. Ok then.

"We wanted to let you know our team reviewed your content, and we think it violates our child safety policy."

A video titled "Ticklemonster Attacks [My son's name]" was the offender. It's a video from late 2010. Yes. 2010 way before I knew about cracked or any of you alls existence. See this is my wife's fault because she wanted to record it. Anyway, you know how you tickle a small baby and they laugh uncontrollably? Yeah I tickled my son for about 35 seconds while my wife filmed it. We uploaded a bunch of stuff from his early days so family could see him. We lived in Ohio at the time and my family was mostly in Maryland. We stopped uploading because hey we moved to Maryland in 2011, so no need to post stuff. Plus if we were really wanting to share stuff like that we'd have joined social media and done it that way by then.

I don't care one bit whether they delete the video permanently or not. I have multiple copies of all his baby pics and videos. I appealed it. To summarize I asked if a human had watched the video, said you're a google company so look up "tickle" and "smiling", that I would like them to reply with an answer as to what exactly triggered this so I can laugh some more and then ended by saying "Balls in your court morons". I can't wait to see how well that goes over. :)

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:53 pm

"Your content has been reinstated"

Good 'nuff

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:51 pm

I have a station saved on my car radio that doesn't always come in clearly, but I like listening to it when it does. On my way home from work today, I heard two different songs that I really like playing with lots of static, and I couldn't get either one to play clearly.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:36 pm

I seem to be addicted to Foster The People's "Pumped Up Kicks" which annoys to me to no end. Not because it's a pop song. Not because it's good. But because the melody and bassline are both stolen from another song done by a european/scandanivian group.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:16 am

Austin Gilbert and Sullivan has postponed their production of "The MacAdo" again because of the rona. In the grand scheme of things, it might be for the better, but I'm disappointed all the same.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:58 am

I got my mom a DVD of a show that was on for less than one season (Mr. Sunshine) for Christmas, and I can't get the menu to come up on at least the first disk, so all the episodes have to play every time we watch it.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext