Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:03 pm

It baffles me as much as it does you, I assure you.The reason I thought to post this was my girlfriend doing it on Sunday. She is from Yorkshire, along with one other person I've known to do this. When challenged, she didn't seem to see what was wrong with it, which got me wondering whether this is normal for her and remembering a few occasions where it's happened previously. Apparently she was made to wash up before dessert as a child, but it wasn't on the table ready to be eaten. As far as I can tell it would be prepared during the washing interlude.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Tuli » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:19 am

Third day in a row of waking up before 6am and I can't wait to go home and take a nap. The annoying part is that even though I try to go to bed early enough to get 7-8 hours of sleep, I'm not accustomed to it yet so the actual falling asleep part takes more than an hour.

The other annoying part is that I brought drawing supplies to work to get some productive use out of my time here, but I've barely used them. I am bored out of my mind here most of the time, but I waste that time on the internet instead. Can't seem to muster the energy or focus to draw.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:14 pm

The faucet on our kitchen sink has a button that switches it from a normal flow to a shower spray. It got stuck in shower spray which is not optimal. I got the rubber thing off and manually switched it to the regular setting. However I cannot get that rubber cover back on. I can get 3 of the 4 pieces in place but the top part... when I push it in... changes the setting to the shower spray and of course I can't switch it back without taking the cover off... :roll:

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby SilverMaple » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:00 am

Less than a week to go before the huge, 6-hour certification exam that I paid $800 to write, and have to wait until February to write again if I don't pass. That's in addition to the pressure of the fact that everyone in the previous year's class passed on the first try. People keep saying I'm going to be fine but I keep imagining the worst case scenario.

Everyone at work is constantly asking me how I'm doing/how studying is going/etc. I'm not entirely sure how obvious it is that I'm a caffeine fueled nervous wreck who's hitting the anxiety medication even more frequently than usual, but I'm trying to play it cool anyways.

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby reallifegirl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:31 pm

So I'm currently learning the ropes on a bunch of stuff I have to do to cover the workload of Team Member Who Got Fired, which is being hampered by the fact that Team Member Who Got Fired liked to do a lot of weird, complicated manual shit that he never told anyone else how to do. Presumably to make him so valuable that he wouldn't get fired. Ha.

Anyway, there's this one massive report he used to do, and me and the account manager for that client asked the reports team if they knew what he was doing or what the specifications where or what info was included. They said no, that he did most of the work and they just formatted what he made.

So I tried to emulate what he did, which ended up taking two days, and sent it off to them to be formatted.

The immediate response: "Oh, but it's missing all of this information he used to include."

Me: "....so....you did know what information he had. ...that would have been helpful to know. Can you send me information about what he was doing?"

Them: "Well, we don't know what he was doing, but we know that you're missing a ton of the stuff he used to send us and it's very worrying."

Me: "Okay, so if you knew what had to be included, why didn't you let me know this when I asked you three days ago during a meeting about this very subject. Or even when I just asked you just now to send it over to me."

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Surely there must be copies of what he did.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm

We have plenty of copies of the final product, we just don't know the specs he used for making them, or what the process was for some of them.

EDIT: OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Me, 12pm: Okay, so here's the additional info you said needed to be included. Now we should be all set to go.

--time lapese--

Me, 4:30pm: Hey, just wanted to check in on this. Do you think it'll be done tomorrow morning?

Them: Did you send over the additional information we needed?

Me: ....yes. Four hours ago.

Them: Oh.

I'm having a day, folks.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Maize » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:44 pm

I feel dumb. I went to the front office of my apartment because I thought they overcharged my first rent. I told the rep there that it looked like I was charged for the application fee twice. He wrote down the math of what it would cost, and he seemed to be irritated with me, and it showed I actually still owed some money on my account. I felt my face heat up and was super embarrassed. I don't want to seem like I'm being a problem tenant, and it looked like I was having problems doing basic math, which of course other people walking in could see and hear this. I showed him what I was confused about: on my form, it looked like the fee was charged again, and even he got confused at this point, since there were two separate totaling areas and neither matched the amount he put down. When I put credit on my account, I was going by the amount I was originally told by a different rep, which was one of the amounts on the form. After I added the fees again, the amount due was right; since I knew I paid the app fee, I didn't include it when adding them. In hindsight, I should have confirmed the amount that I should have paid. On the bright side, I wasn't charged a late fee for the remaining account balance.

Maize
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:35 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Surely there must be copies of what he did.

RLG was having a day so I'll post this for her:

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:49 pm

My sinuses are stuffed up, and the medicine I got last time this happened seems to have no effect. At least my ears aren’t affected this time (yet).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:34 am

There's a book by an Australian writer I want to read which isn't in the Austin Public Library catalog. I asked at my local branch library if I could do an interlibrary loan. The guy said that before doing that I should put in a request to purchase it. So I did that and got back the following message, emphasis mine:
Thank you for taking the time to make a purchase suggestion to us for Where
Song Began
. Customer suggestions help us build a quality library collection.

This title is listed in our catalog.

Did they add it after I sent that? Did I forget that there's another book with the same title?

No.

How the fuck do you screw this up, book ordering person?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:42 am

After going to the YMCA far away from my house for a while, I re-joined the gym close to my house. It is way worse than the YMCA I've been going to. There aren't enough dumbbells. There are hooks on the wall where exercise bands are supposed to go and there are no exercise bands there. There are only two rowing machines, and they are a lot more uncomfortable than the ones at the Y. The rowing machines blow air at you for some reason. There is only one foam roller in good condition.

When I asked about joining they told me the membership guy was at a meeting in another town. I asked if he would be back, and they said "he kind of sets his own hours." They let me go in anyway and they wrote down my number. Not long after I had gone into a gym I got a call from the membership guy, who wasn't in a meeting in another town after all.

I got the plan that lets me go to other Boston Sports Clubs, so I'm going to look around and see if there's a better place I can go.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Kivutar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:41 pm

You can also figure out what you can do at home, for those days when you can't go to the gym for whatever reason. There are quite a few exercises you can do by yourself with minimal equipment that are way better than nothing.

Here's a list of a few.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Since the last iPhone update, I’ve had to scroll through five passwords that I’m pretty sure I never asked my phone to save in order to log onto this site.

But I’m too lazy to go upstairs and get on my computer.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 am

jbobsully11 wrote:Since the last iPhone update, I’ve had to scroll through five passwords that I’m pretty sure I never asked my phone to save in order to log onto this site.

But I’m too lazy to go upstairs and get on my computer.

Holy shit, the last iPhone update has been more than a minor annoyance. All of my apps are constantly crashing and some of my notifications don't work. What's worse is my sister's phone got entirely bricked when she updated it. She had to wait for Apple to send her a new one, because Apple can't repair their own products to save their life, they just give you a new one.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

PreviousNext