Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby Twistappel » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:48 pm

cmsellers wrote:I buy their house-brand pork rinds rather too often. I've probably eaten about two dozen bags of them since moving to Texas. (Prior to that, I think I maybe had at most four bags of pork rinds in my life, because they're not really a thing in New England. Then my father bought me some from a BBQ place in Memphis, damn him!)

1. I just had pork rinds from a BBQ place in Memphis!
  2. How do people survive up there?
  3. Re. the hair: Ew!

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby Malfeasinator » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:39 am

I'm getting kind of tired of Cracked using a lack of understanding about things and exaggeration to drum up fear, or maybe fake fear for humor's sake, in articles.

The one they did recently about AI kind of had me mad. I've seen the MarI/O thing before and even posted it on Facebook, and I've seen Learnfun/Playfun by "Tom 7" and they're nowhere NEAR Skynet.

Each program had to be designed specifically for the system they were working on. In MarI/O's case, it had to be set up just for Super Mario World, and at the end of 24 hours of learning, it was only good at that one stage. It often got stuck on other stages and didn't know what to do. He tried something like it on NES (modifying it to use less buttons and such) but it got stuck like Playfun did at first.

MarI/O had to be overhauled to try to play another game - Super Mario Kart. It learned to be OK but not so great.

Learnfun and Playfun needed to "watch" Tom 7 play for a while before they had some idea what to do, and the way it was programmed, it sucks at games that aren't "Go Right, try not to die". In Zelda, it took forever for it to get past the naming the character screen and most of the time it wandered around aimlessly and kept checking the menu.

On some games, it would pause over and over again, or keep things paused for agonizing amounts of time. In some cases it would pause right when it was about to lose, and then never unpause.

As far as I know, nobody has made a truly generalized "AI", "Artificial Neural Network", or Deep Learning program just to play video games of all kinds. I've seen some incredibly bonkers stuff that people have specialized to play one game really well, like this 2048 game playing piece of shit AI:

Skip around a bit. It's over an hour long. It actually "beats" the game around 1 minute, 30 seconds, with a 2048 tile, but keeps on going.

But my point is these things are very early stages and they're only good at doing one thing (when they're even good at it at all). All the Chicken Little, sky-is-falling b.s. over stuff like this is a little premature. I know Cracked is all about playing up the worst case scenario for laughs, but that makes me wonder how many people they really are going to make afraid, when they really don't have to be. People do bad things when they become afraid of technology. Look at the Unabomber.

Young people seem to be their target audience, and young people are pretty impressionable. I just hope they aren't responsible for a new wave of Luddites.

Anyway, if you have nerves of steel, check this out: an AI playing Flappy Bird.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby SilverMaple » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:51 pm

The motherboard for my new PC is black and yellow. The RAM I wanted was only available at Newegg, and the black version was sold out, so I had to go with green.

My case doesn't have a side window, so in theory, the fact that the colours of the RAM and motherboard don't match shouldn't bother me. But even though I can't see inside, I'll still know they don't match.

I will know, dammit.

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:30 am

SilverMaple wrote:The motherboard for my new PC is black and yellow. The RAM I wanted was only available at Newegg, and the black version was sold out, so I had to go with green.

My case doesn't have a side window, so in theory, the fact that the colours of the RAM and motherboard don't match shouldn't bother me. But even though I can't see inside, I'll still know they don't match.

I will know, dammit.

Why do colors of anything ever have to match? Who made that rule up?

I had a friend who would go bonkers if I used a different color battery pack for a 360 controller while the "correct" one was charging. Like oh yeah, I'm going to turn this controller off and get a matching set just to please your feelings.

So every time I went over to visit him from then on I would wear a black sock and a white sock.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:31 am

I like colors to match because I love purple and I want everything I own to be purple.

Sadly, pretty much nothing that's not fabric comes in purple, and even with fabric stuff purple versions are often hard to find. My purple shirts are all of a grayish purple, my shower curtain is more of a lavender, and my bathmat is fucking blue (some places sell purple bathmats but IKEA doesn't and I didn't feel like shopping around).

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:15 pm

cmsellers wrote:I like colors to match because I love purple and I want everything I own to be purple.

Sadly, pretty much nothing that's not fabric comes in purple, and even with fabric stuff purple versions are often hard to find. My purple shirts are all of a grayish purple, my shower curtain is more of a lavender, and my bathmat is fucking blue (some places sell purple bathmats but IKEA doesn't and I didn't feel like shopping around).

Any particular reason why you like purple so much?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:22 pm

cmsellers wrote:I like colors to match because I love purple and I want everything I own to be purple.

What Jim said. Do you like to stab people in the eyes?

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby reallifegirl » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:13 pm

I visited home for the weekend to go out for Dad's birthday.

I left behind my suitcase when I took the train to work this morning.

Suitcase has my laptop. And I don't have my car with me in Queens, so I can't just quickly pick it up and go back to the apartment.

I can live without it until this weekend, but this is going to be annoyiiiiiiiiing.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:57 pm

@Jim and sully

No, I'm more of an "abduct children and put them through a candy-based Saw routine" sort of fellow.

Spoiler: show

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Twistappel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:14 pm

This is another one of those "I know people are just making conversation" things, but the next time somebody asks me how I like living in America, I am sorely tempted to tell the their country is a total shithole, and I wish I'd moved to Outer Mongolia instead. Just to see the expression on their faces. :|

I'm really not great with small talk. Especially when it involves pointless questions to which one is expected to give a socially "correct" answer.

Can't we just spend those 15 seconds or whatever in companionable silence, instead of making meaningless face-noises?

Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 pm

Sister Morphine wrote:This is another one of those "I know people are just making conversation" things, but the next time somebody asks me how I like living in America, I am sorely tempted to tell the their country is a total shithole, and I wish I'd moved to Outer Mongolia instead. Just to see the expression on their faces. :|

I'm really not great with small talk. Especially when it involves pointless questions to which one is expected to give a socially "correct" answer.

Outer?

Last edited by Anglerphobe on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Twistappel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:Outer?

Spoiler: show

Tofu?

Sorry, I don't really understand this game.

Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Sister Morphine wrote:This is another one of those "I know people are just making conversation" things, but the next time somebody asks me how I like living in America, I am sorely tempted to tell the their country is a total shithole, and I wish I'd moved to Outer Mongolia instead. Just to see the expression on their faces. :|

Can't we just spend those 15 seconds or whatever in companionable silence, instead of making meaningless face-noises?

I am a compulsive talker.

Around people I don't know, I generally don't talk unless something really needs to be commented on (the weather being particularly weathery, for instance). The same goes for people I know well, though there's usually a bit more that needs saying. But if I just sort of know you, sitting around you in silence is like having a scab that needs picking.

I'm sorry, but I just can't help myself. I will start with the obvious questions, and follow up with the obvious followups until we start up a conversation, I start up a monologue, or you move out of my territory to a place I no longer worry you're watching and judging me.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:40 pm

I like pink and want everything I own to be pink.

Is that too much to ask?! :(

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Twistappel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:48 pm

cmsellers wrote:I am a compulsive talker.

Around people I don't know, I generally don't talk unless something really needs to be commented on (the weather being particularly weathery, for instance). The same goes for people I know well, though there's usually a bit more that needs saying. But if I just sort of know you, sitting around you in silence is like having a scab that needs picking.

I'm sorry, but I just can't help myself. I will start with the obvious questions, and follow up with the obvious followups until we start up a conversation, I start up a monologue, or you move out of my territory to a place I no longer worry you're watching and judging me.

It is relatively rare for me to get to the point of "sort of" knowing someone. Mostly because once somebody strikes up a conversation with me, I will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid seeing them again.

I got chatting with the lady who owns the fabric shop up the road once, and now I can never go in there again. Which is kind of annoying, because I need to buy some fabric and hers is just about the only place in town where I can get the sort of stuff I need.

I am not being facetious here. I really am that awkward. :(

Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext