Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:47 am

I was going to say don't put groceries on that seat but some how I suspect you already filled the trunk and back seats.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:20 am

Putting groceries on the passenger-side seat is convenient, since I have keyless entry which only unlocks the front driver-side door. Unlocking all doors from inside, stepping backwards, opening the rear door, and closing the rear door is like four whole extra steps.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:51 am

Have you considered putting them in your trunk? I've done that before when I don't want them up front with me for whatever reason.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:56 am

I don't even know whether I can unlock the trunk from the outside.
But the annoyance was from the unexpected two minutes of loud dinging. Now that I have the seatbelt on, it's fine, but I expect to endure the dinging again next time my mother visits and I forget to pre-buckle the car when shopping. If I could remember to use the trunk when that happens I could remember to buckle the seat.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby cmsellers » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Trader Joe's in Rollingwood had a sign promising free BBQ today, so I went there today even though I didn't need anything.

The "barbecue" promised was hot dogs.

This is the first time in Texas that "free barbecue" hasn't been brisket, and I am severely disappointed.

On the other hand, I remember that this used to happen a lot in Massachusetts, where "barbecue" is almost invariably hamburgers and hotdogs, except on the rare occasion it is hamburgers and hot dogs plus kielbasa and/or chicken.

I always considered that deceptive, because to me, barbecue by definition involves smoking or slow roasting meat, usually whole cuts and usually red meat. Chicken at such BBQs is usually seasoned and cooked longer than hamburgers or hot dogs, and I will accept sausages that are pre-smoked then grilled, but hot dogs and hamburgers are emphatically not barbecue.

On the other hand, this is even worse than a Massachusetts "barbecue" because there weren't even hamburgers. Free is free and I probably shouldn't complain, but since I don't like hot dogs anymore, driving to Rollingwood was a pointless waste of time.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:06 pm

I saw Gilbert and Sullivan's "Patience in Concert," meaning a version with one showing only, scripts, and street clothes. Will try to post about that in "things that are good."

But on the way back on Lamar (a two-lane street) I hit some of the worst traffic I have ever seen in Austin, as bad as the peak of rush hour. I finally decided that while I prefer taking the backroads, I was going to need to take the highway because this was ridiculous.

Then, I figured out what caused it.

There was what I assume was a really minor fender-bender. I say I assume because one car was stopped in the left lane going my direction, and one car was at an angle across the center turn lane and left lane with the door open and the driver standing there, talking on her phone, but I could not see any damage. However an accident is the only reason I can imagine for two cars to be stopped like that.

Do people not know that if the car is at all driveable you are supposed to take your fucking car off to the side of the road so you're not holding up traffic?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:23 pm

People using "breed" when they actually mean any real classification up to and including genus. The particular example that prompted me to write this was someone referring to velociraptor as a breed of dinosaur.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:52 pm

People do it beyond genus, with parrots I've heard people refer to cockatoos as a "breed," which is a whole damn family.

It is one of my literal pet peeves, but never noticed people doing it with non-pet animals.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:42 pm

I've more frequently come across the opposite, particularly in the context of people referring to rare breeds as "endangered species" and it bugs the hell out of me.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Absentia » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:17 am

My office had an employee appreciation "Fall Fest" today. They bring in a food truck, everybody gets a free meal, we hang out in the back parking lot for an hour, good times. Right?

Problem number one is that it was 92 degrees outside for this "Fall Fest". This is the South. October 4th is "Fall" only in the theoretical sense. Nobody wants to hang around outside in their work clothes this time of year. And there was covered seating for maybe twenty people while the rest of us waited in the sun because the food truck situation was basically a Soviet bread line. 200 people were trying to get food at the same time, and for some reason the decision was made to bring in a single truck that only makes food to order. I was fortunate enough to get something before they completely ran out of food, which of course they did. I was not fortunate enough to get there before they ran out of french fries and soda.

So for the price of an hour of my time and a mild sunburn, I got a $9 bowl of mac and cheese for "free". Thanks guys.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:52 am

Absentia wrote:My office had an employee appreciation "Fall Fest" today. They bring in a food truck, everybody gets a free meal, we hang out in the back parking lot for an hour, good times. Right?

Problem number one is that it was 92 degrees outside for this "Fall Fest". This is the South. October 4th is "Fall" only in the theoretical sense. Nobody wants to hang around outside in their work clothes this time of year. And there was covered seating for maybe twenty people while the rest of us waited in the sun because the food truck situation was basically a Soviet bread line. 200 people were trying to get food at the same time, and for some reason the decision was made to bring in a single truck that only makes food to order. I was fortunate enough to get something before they completely ran out of food, which of course they did. I was not fortunate enough to get there before they ran out of french fries and soda.

So for the price of an hour of my time and a mild sunburn, I got a $9 bowl of mac and cheese for "free". Thanks guys.

You also got a hell of a story now young man, and that's priceless.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:04 pm

I've never worked somewhere that appreciated their employees or even made any sort of gesture to pretend that they do like what Absentia posted. I haven't even had a raise in over a year.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Absentia » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:44 pm

I mean, yeah, I give them partial credit for trying. We have a new boss and he's trying to ingratiate himself so he's willing to throw some money around. Good on him.

Just maybe do better with the planning next time.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:51 pm

I can't believe that I presumed that Sellars would put his groceries into the trunk. In fact, I'm mildly annoyed by this you could say.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext