Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby D-LOGAN » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:41 pm

I can't imagine NOT going out of my way to ensure I'm the center of attention at any social gathering! Not imposing my correct view on any given topic to all and sundry, telling them to shut up and listen to me if need be or pointing out the line of conversation they've started is boring and mine would be better for everyone, would just be the height of selfishness in my view. The gift of me is one I'm honour bound to share, WITH EVERYONE!

I'm like a living saint in this regard. Man I envy those who get to be in my presence.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Grimstone wrote:I possess the ability to attend social events, it's my lack of ability/interest to meaningfully engage in them that is the problem.

This, unless I'm already with people I know and they don't abandon me. (Side note: is it bad to silently cheer upon successfully completing a non-awkward social interaction with a stranger at a party?)

Anglerphobe wrote:
Lindvaettr wrote:What we need is an "I lack the ability to attend social events" support group...

Yeah, and you could have wicked parties.

"Did you do anything fun on Saturday?"
"Chatted online with some people I know. All night long. Well, until midnight, anyway. WOOO!"

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Kivutar wrote:I'm bipolar with social events: I switch back and forth between being the loud person who tries to make the event wilder, and the person who does't want to go and if forced to, will sit in a corner and hide. I don't even know myself what causes the shift.

This is me. Usually it comes down to two factors: how well I know the people there/how comfortable I am around them, and how much alcohol has been ingested (both by me and by them).

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:26 pm

People who don't fight and have never trained in fighting saying, of a knockout/down, "that shouldn't have knocked him down. Clearly a dive. This sport is so corrupt." I always want to invite them to take the shot they're dismissing on their own body and then say whether it was legit.

I've recently heard people arguing this about this:

Spoiler: show
Conor McGregor knocking down half man, half fainting goat Dustin Poirier.

This:

Mike Tyson tapping Clifford Etienne on the jaw to signal that it is time for him to take a dive.

And fucking This! If you don't like violence, I would advise just taking my word on this last one. It's a bit grisly.

Mark Hunt's theatrical debut as "man getting concussed" in the live stage play Junior Dos Santos concusses a man.

I'm not naive. I know fixes do happen, but please for fuck's sake; if you aren't a fighter, don't go lecturing people on how "there's no way he should have been knocked out." You don't know what you're talking about. You just sound like a dickhead.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:13 pm

But Anglerphobe. I am a dickhead.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:44 am

Only tangentially related, but I love seeing old clips of Mike Tyson. His prime was long enough ago that I've only ever known him during my life as the weird-sounding guy who bites off ears, so it's easy to forget just how incredible he was in the ring. Same goes for George Foreman.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby cmsellers » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:51 am

Lindvaettr wrote:Only tangentially related, but I love seeing old clips of Mike Tyson. His prime was long enough ago that I've only ever known him during my life as the weird-sounding guy who bites off ears, so it's easy to forget just how incredible he was in the ring. Same goes for George Foreman.

George Foreman bits off ears? I assumed he'd prefer to grill them.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Grimstone » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:03 pm

No diving going on in this gif:

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:12 pm

The shame of it is that we never really got to see his prime at all. He became undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World at 21 years old, lost it at 24 and was in prison at 26. He was far from done when he returned to boxing, but he was never Mike Tyson again. No one peaks in ability at anything at all at the age of 21, when Tyson's career was at its historic best. It's daunting to wonder about what he could have done if he hadn't been such a fuckup.

EDIT: That Pride clip is hilarious. To someone who got into MMA during the "legitimate sport" era PrideFC looks so alien. It really is like pro wrestling.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby RainyDays » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:45 am

There's a Labor Day festival going on by me. This is day four of distorted music and incomprehensible singing over a microphone in the distance, and a greater than usual number of drunk people arguing in the alley right below my window. Ready for this to be over for another year.

RainyDays
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:09 pm

At my last job, I only had one day off per week (unless it rained). When I woke up this morning at around 8, I forgot that that wasn't the case anymore and almost had a heart attack, since I knew I didn't go in yesterday.

Also, I have to go to a four-hour class on Wednesday after work.

EDIT: I accidentally a word.

Last edited by jbobsully11 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:09 pm

People delaying a course that is ready to be eaten so they can wash up the stuff from the previous one. Only if the meal is so huge that it is actually logistically impossible to do all the washing up at the end could I find this a remotely sensible way to do things.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tuli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:32 am

Anglerphobe wrote:People delaying a course that is ready to be eaten so they can wash up the stuff from the previous one. Only if the meal is so huge that it is actually logistically impossible to do all the washing up at the end could I find this a remotely sensible way to do things.

Is this something that... happens? Regularly? Is it an American thing? *briefly wonders if Anglerphobe even is American*
Seems pretty weird to do that, especially when you've got guests over.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby cmsellers » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:57 am

Anglerphobe is Cornish.

I've never heard of it, but then in America every house and apartment has a dishwasher. In my travels abroad, I've never seen an apartment with a dishwasher (or a dryer though apartments with washing machines are possible to find). In America I've never seen an apartment outside NYC that didn't have a dishwasher. Despite the fact that if you live alone, you probably never use it except when guests come over.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Tuli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:34 am

Dishwashers are very uncommon here as well. Although I've definitely stayed in Airbnb flats with dishwashers, I've never actually used the dishwasher aside from when I used to work at a sushi place. With the pre-rinsing, loading and deloading that's needed, it's not significantly less work than just washing the damn dishes myself. Also much more wasteful.

BUT! Despite our lack of dishwashers, what Anglerphobe described is not something I've ever encountered.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

PreviousNext