Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby octoberpumpkin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:14 pm

People also ask me how I like living in America and my answers are usually one of the following:
"It has its good points and bad points."
"I like all of the... trees. Nice trees."
"Other than the lack of socialized healthcare it's pretty good."
*Makes 'ehh' face*
"The mail is super fast here!"
"Do you guys even know how cheap it is to get your drivers license???"
"This election is making me want to weep uncontrollably."

As for my own rant, I have so much to do today :(

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby reallifegirl » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:49 pm

There was a delay with the subways, so the one I got on wound up being incredibly packed with people. Not an issue normally, except I got stuck near this scuzzy-looking dude and his girlfriend who thought the morning rush-hour train was the perfect time to make out and coo at each other.

And even that wouldn't be exceptionally bad, except at one point I could hear the girlfriend cooing and giggling, "Oh nooooo babe, don't do it, nooooo" and suddenly felt someone's hand slide down the pole I was holding and poke mine with its pinky finger. So I moved my hand further down. Then a few seconds later, "Nooooo babe, stop itttttt" and a hand poking my hand again. So I moved it again and noticed this dude looking at me, and realizing he was deliberately pestering me while his girlfriend giggled over it.

He stopped then to make out with her some more a bit, but before my stop, he did it again, sort of grabbing my hand to make me squirm before going back to making out again.

Like I get that this is stupid and petty, but something really drives me insane when strangers touch me in public, especially on purpose, to annoy me, and in the middle of me just trying to get to my goddamn job.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:57 pm

@pumpkin:
You never complain about how difficult it is for legal immigrants to get legal firearms?

If I were an immigrant to America, that would be my go-to line.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:02 am

reallifegirl wrote:
Spoiler: show
There was a delay with the subways, so the one I got on wound up being incredibly packed with people. Not an issue normally, except I got stuck near this scuzzy-looking dude and his girlfriend who thought the morning rush-hour train was the perfect time to make out and coo at each other.

And even that wouldn't be exceptionally bad, except at one point I could hear the girlfriend cooing and giggling, "Oh nooooo babe, don't do it, nooooo" and suddenly felt someone's hand slide down the pole I was holding and poke mine with its pinky finger. So I moved my hand further down. Then a few seconds later, "Nooooo babe, stop itttttt" and a hand poking my hand again. So I moved it again and noticed this dude looking at me, and realizing he was deliberately pestering me while his girlfriend giggled over it.

He stopped then to make out with her some more a bit, but before my stop, he did it again, sort of grabbing my hand to make me squirm before going back to making out again.

Like I get that this is stupid and petty, but something really drives me insane when strangers touch me in public, especially on purpose, to annoy me, and in the middle of me just trying to get to my goddamn job.

"Woman wounds 5 with axe and knife in US train rampage"

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:18 am

I only buy supermarket peaches if they're soft but don't feel mealy and smell like fresh peaches, which the majority of them do not. I understand that most peaches are odorless hard balls of fuzz that turn into odorless sacks of meal because they ship better that way, you get less spoilage, and most people have no taste.

Rather than complain, my usual solution to the "supermarket peaches suck" problem is to buy from local farmers, never eat peaches out of season and then when peach season comes eat about a peck and a half of them a week. I checked: the closest peach orchard open to the public is like an hour away. So I'm a bit annoyed that there don't seem to be any peach orchards selling to the public closer in. There's plenty of farmland around Austin; hell there are some farms IN Austin, though their prices are exorbitant. But the peach orchards are all WAY out on hill country. Not just the suburbs, the bonafide boondocks.

But what really annoys me is this: I've gotten a couple different kinds of peaches from the supermarket. The flavor has often been a bit overly tart, the texture was OK, but the peaches were fucking clingstone peaches. Everybody knows that clingstone peaches are for pies, not eating, but I'm forced to resort to using them as eating peaches like some ... animal, because nobody seems to carry halfway edible freestone peaches.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Kivutar » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:39 am

I couldn't take the class I wanted for next term, because it "conflicted" with the last 20 minutes of a six-hour lab that happens 3 times per term. Seriously, heartless automated system? We aren't obliged to attend class, so let me decide if I can handle it or not.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Windy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:57 am

Kivutar wrote:I couldn't take the class I wanted for next term, because it "conflicted" with the last 20 minutes of a six-hour lab that happens 3 times per term. Seriously, heartless automated system? We aren't obliged to attend class, so let me decide if I can handle it or not.

You might be able to email them and ask for an exception

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Twistappel » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:20 pm

I agreed to go to one of those like-a-tupperware-party-but-with-something-that-isn't-tupperware parties that a friend is throwing, on the basis that I need to get out of the house more. Now I'm freaking out, because I basically hate being around people I don't know. Also, after reassuring myself that it is only 2 hours, and I can leave if I hate it, apparently another friend is picking me up. An hour early.

Oh, and the Man-creature is in Boston, so he can't rescue me if can't deal with it.

Fuck you, social anxiety. :cry:

[hides in the closet and desperately tries to escape to Narnia]

Update: Went to party. Didn't freak out. Played with dogs. Acquired a giant tub of mints (not what they were selling).

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:15 am

Sister Morphine wrote:Update: Went to party. Didn't freak out. Played with dogs. Acquired a giant tub of mints (not what they were selling).

What type of dogs?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Twistappel » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:11 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:
Sister Morphine wrote:Update: Went to party. Didn't freak out. Played with dogs. Acquired a giant tub of mints (not what they were selling).

What type of dogs?

1 Dachshund. 1 Generic Black Dog. I think the third one was an American Staffie or possibly American Pit Bull.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Sister Morphine wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:

What type of dogs?

1 Dachshund. 1 Generic Black Dog. I think the third one was an American Staffie or possibly American Pit Bull.

Ooohhh... Tell me more, were they good dogs?

EDIT:
-Realise I shouldn't sidetrack this thread so back to topic. I get annoyed by people who smoke in train-stations/bus-stops and other places where you basically are forced to endure what jerks they are.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:49 pm

You should start a 'tell Jim stories about dogs' thread.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby rowdyrodimus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:28 pm

I've collected Transformers since they first came out in 1984. Yes, I know they're toys and no, I don't play with them. I open them up, transform them a few times so I know exactly how and then put them on my shelves in my game room. Well, why is it every time I find the one I'm looking for does it have to have a loose joint somewhere? Yeah, it's easy to fix but why should I have to as soon as I take it out of the box? Isn't that was QC is for? Just annoys me to no end.

Also, why is it that I get made fun of for collecting Transformers from people who have stuff like dolphin stuff or ceramic cats everywhere in their homes? Really, is their any difference other than there will always be a market for the stuff I collect where I can make money from them and their stuff might sell for a quarter at a garage sale?

(I also have a shelf I put my favorites in my room. Most of them are from the 80's but there are a few newer ones on there. In fact, you can see some of them behind me in my pic to the side here)

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby gisambards » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:54 pm

I had eye surgery a couple of days ago, and so have to wear dark glasses during the day and goggles to sleep for a week afterward. I've been through this once before, but it's still annoying. I think having to see the world through a dark tint is having an impact on my mood.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:44 pm

rowdyrodimus wrote:Well, why is it every time I find the one I'm looking for does it have to have a loose joint somewhere? Yeah, it's easy to fix but why should I have to as soon as I take it out of the box? Isn't that was QC is for? Just annoys me to no end.

I almost jumped at that huge sale on that 3rd party Spinout (unofficial MP Sunstreaker) that TFSource.com had last week, but the QC issues on that thing were beyond terrible. I watched some review video on it and the toy kept wobbling over because of loose joints, and the mismatched paint apps and plastic quality.....ugh.

Also, why is it that I get made fun of for collecting Transformers from people who have stuff like dolphin stuff or ceramic cats everywhere in their homes? Really, is their any difference other than there will always be a market for the stuff I collect where I can make money from them and their stuff might sell for a quarter at a garage sale?

Hell, Transformers are more interesting than that crap. Show'em the bird and keep movin' on. That's what I do.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

PreviousNext