Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:39 pm

A week late to the country music discussion I'd like to chime in and say that the blurry lines between what is passing for country and what is also supposedly rap music is too weird for me.

Close your eyes and paint this aural picture. Shit I hope didn't actually close your eyes because then you're no longer reading this. Anyway you hear a bass hit, a snare, and a staccato "brrrrrrr tic tic tic tic" for a beat. Someone with a Southern drawl starts mumbling some incredibly basic rhymes, definitely using "baby" and "maybe".

What genre is it? I. Don't. Know.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:44 pm

It's Country Hop. Hip-Hop and Trip-Hop's much uglier cousin.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:38 am

I take it you miss the days when country was country, rap was rap, and quirky folk musicians only blended them as a joke?

Back in college, I noted that country and rap actually had a lot in common: they're stigmatized genres by historically marginalized groups that often glorify criminals. I had the idea it would be cool to do a double album where one disc was country covers of rap songs and one was rap covers of of country songs. I'd have called it Gangsta Country/Outlaw Rap.

So the merger isn't actually that surprising to me, yet it's far shittier than I could ever have dreamed of. Ain't that always the way, though?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:20 am

It's referred to as hick hop, y'all, and I don't like it either...besides a few select songs. I am annoyed by the continued adoption of hip hop music stylings in country music, but with streaming services it's far easier than it has been to find artists that make whatever you're looking for. Texas Country has kept far more country in their music than Nashville has, but at the same time, the overall popularity of Jon Pardi, Kacey Muscgraves (although she has been embraced by pop after the country music machine rejected her most likely because of her political views), and Luke Combs gives fans of 90's/00's Country like me hope for the future.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 am

So, I get free Amazon Prime through my father, which is great, but now I've gotten used to it.

I ordered a large item on Sunday, and because I would be in Houston Monday and Tuesday, I set the delivery date to Wednesday even though it would be two-day shipping.

Well, it did not arrive today, and while I won't be in Houston tomorrow, I also may not be around.

The weird thing is that I did this by setting my "Amazon Day" to Wednesday and having some other stuff I needed delivered the same day. That stuff arrived.

And it's like "Dude, what's the point of setting an 'Amazon Day' for all packages to be delivered on you won't honor it any more reliably than you do two-day shipping?"

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:06 am

There's overtime for (theoretically) the rest of this week for anyone who wants it (starting as early as 11 AM, but whenever we can come in is fine), and I could use the money. So I set the alarm on my phone to go off somewhat early... and then left it in my locker at work and didn't realize until I got home. I'll probably be awake early enough to go in then anyway, but still.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:33 am

That may be a minor annoyance to you, but has the potential to be a severe annoyance to your coworkers if you don't make it in.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:00 am

They'll get over hearing an alarm in a locker if he doesn't get there.

Unless the alarm sound is something abhorrent like The Song That Never Ends or John Cena's entrance music.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby SlayerGoddess » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:57 am

Publix doesn't include enough soy sauce with their larger sushi offerings, so I had to go out and buy soy sauce when my boyfriend surprised me with some lovely sushi from there.

I survived watching "50 Shades of Grey" for TCS Movie Night

3/7/15

NEVER FORGET
SlayerGoddess
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: HER

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:51 am

Groupon is trying to sell me an acre of land on Mars. I can't decide whether I'm more annoyed that Groupon thinks I'm stupid or that I didn't come up with that scam first.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:19 am

cmsellers wrote:Groupon is trying to sell me an acre of land on Mars. I can't decide whether I'm more annoyed that Groupon thinks I'm stupid or that I didn't come up with that scam first.

...And now I'm picturing a bunch of old people calling up NASA to tell them that if a rover falls in the wrong crater, they're keeping it forever.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:05 pm

So, really this feels like a major rant to me, but I recognize it as an objectively petty First World problem, which feels weird to complain about when MURDA and sully are having to go into work while taking precautions that will probably do as much to stop the spread of COVID-19 as that Nigerian woman's bead mask that's been making the rounds.

See, thanks to Pinterest's horribly crappy UI design, I accidentally deleted a whole board of mine. The board was basically a mixture of stuff I might want to buy down the line when I feel financially sound, and stuff I might want to use as inspiration for crafts when I have the energy to do crafty things again. However weirdly, making this board felt good, I spent hours on it, and it feels really shitty to lose it.

But the thing that gets me is: UI design is hard, I know because I'm now learning to do full-stack web-development instead of the job I was initially hired for. It's probably even harder if you don't understand good UX (user experience) principles, which a staggering number of UI/UX designers seem not to. So, I can forgive the interface being so crappy that it took at least four terrible UX design decisions for me to accidentally delete this board.

What I can't forgive is that, despite years of complaints from users, Pinterest still has no way to recover deleted pins or boards. There are, right off the top of my head, three very obvious things they could do which other website do.

1. Have a "trash can" to which pins and boards are sent. You can even have it auto-empty after a period of time, and let people choose to disable it.
2. Have an "undo" function.
3. Have a feature which lets people auto-backup boards.

Now that I'm learning web development I have some idea of how you'd do all of these things, I know it wouldn't even take me all that long to do, and I'm still learning web development and am completely unfamiliar with Pinterest's architecture. A single experienced web dev who knows Pinterest's architecture should be able to implement any of these in weeks, possibly days (well, auto backup might take a bit longer, mostly for the new interface required) which makes their decision to continue to have no way to recover deleted pins equal parts unforgivable and baffling.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Apparently HP does not sell parts in Canada. They've got one company listed as a reseller and that reseller just told me that they only sell printer parts. No computer parts at all. But if you check HP's parts website everything is listed as 'not for sale, refer to authorized reseller'. It's a minor annoyance 'cause I have a way around this. Provided everyone co-operates.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:36 am

So, I ordered some bulbs, and some pots for them, and then realized that I didn't have enough potting soil. No problem, except my car broke down on the day I planned to buy more potting soil. So I ordered more potting soil from Amazon, an expensive $20 bag of it, but unfortunately potting soil is not something Amazon considers an essential item.

When they still hadn't shipped it a week later, I had my car "fixed" and was able to get some in person. Tried to cancel the Amazon order, and I couldn't because it was "preparing to ship." When it didn't ship Friday, I tried and failed to cancel it three more times before contacting customer service. They told me the same thing. It's impossible to cancel, because it's preparing to ship, whatever that means. As of today, it still hasn't shipped.

When it does, they tell me I can contact them again and refuse delivery, which is a waste and a nuisance. What the fuck is going on with Amazon that they have this multi-day preshipment phase in which items aren't remotely close to being shipped but can't be canceled either?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:06 am

So, it turns out Amazon did one-day shipping and it was shipped and delivered yesterday before I even had the chance to call and stop the delivery. The easy thing would just be to keep it, but I'm sure that's what Amazon wants, and so, out of perversity, I chose to return it, thereby forcing Amazon to eat both the cost of the same-day shipping (which is ridiculous when you're not shipping out for a week and a half) and return shipping instead of making a profit from my disinclination to return it.

Since I can't print labels right now, I did the free pickup option. I put the box outside, and when I went out today, UPS had stuck a "we missed you" notice to the box.

The notice includes a shipping label, so I guess I can drop this off at UPS, which is only a minor extra nuisance but, really?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext