Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Me: <something I actually mean in earnest>
Other guy: Hahaha that's so funny
Me: I wasn't making a joke, I was serious
OG: Haha it's still funny.

I'm probably the one being unreasonable here because no-one else ever seems to even grasp that fact it might possibly make anyone feel bad to have their serious opinions or ideas interpreted as a joke.

I know I'm over-sensitive about a lot of things, and this is probably one which is why I put this in the Minor Annoyances thread even though to me it's not really minor, it actually makes me feel really bad, but am I really the only person who minds it at all, to the extent that no-one else can even comprehend that it's hurtful to me?

Scarik wrote:I'm not dead. I'm invading Kent
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:31 pm

CarrieVS wrote:I know I'm over-sensitive about a lot of things, and this is probably one which is why I put this in the Minor Annoyances thread even though to me it's not really minor, it actually makes me feel really bad, but am I really the only person who minds it at all, to the extent that no-one else can even comprehend that it's hurtful to me?

No, I think it’s beyond annoying when people do it to me, too. Likewise for people who act horrified that I would be sarcastic about [something I was asking/saying in earnest].

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 pm

See, I have the opposite problem. Though people mostly laugh when I'm being serious, it's because I phrase things in odd ways, rather than because they take it for humor. However when I intend to joke, even people who know me think I'm serious fairly often. People who don't know me think I'm being serious most of the time.

cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Postby cmsellers » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:01 am

FiveThirtyEight made a mistake in analysis that I see a lot of sources make. The issue is that when sources look at whether a party has total control of a state, they look at who controls the governor's office and the two houses of the legislature. Which oversimplifies a number of issues, but most are relatively minor.

However there is one issue that is not: if a party has a supermajority in both house of the legislature, and the state constitution allows a supermajority of the legislature to override the governor (or a mere majority in six states), then the party which controls the legislature has total control, regardless of whether the other party controls the governorship or not. This has been the situation in Massachusetts for a large chunk of my life. According to Ballotpedia, similar situations currently prevail in Maryland, and with the parties reversed in North Carolina.

It annoys me enough when other sources do this sort of thing, but I expect better from FiveThirtyEight. This is especially annoying because with Democrats poised to take governorships in red states and to expand legislative majorities in blue states, we could see more situations like this, and the analysis does not consider them.

cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Previous