Controversial opinions you hold

Discussion, in general

Re: Controversial opinions you hold

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed May 30, 2018 5:11 am

Pokemon isn't a big deal and I don't understand the obsession with it, unlike Simpsons which adults can watch (depending on the episode) Pokemon is just... It's a kid thing. I can get behind adults reading comic books for superheroes like Batman or the Punisher but not watching Pokemon.

And it shouldn't be unbelievable that I don't know the theme-song nor have any intention to.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Tesseracts » Wed May 30, 2018 6:43 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:Pokemon isn't a big deal and I don't understand the obsession with it, unlike Simpsons which adults can watch (depending on the episode) Pokemon is just... It's a kid thing. I can get behind adults reading comic books for superheroes like Batman or the Punisher but not watching Pokemon.

And it shouldn't be unbelievable that I don't know the theme-song nor have any intention to.

I hate it when people associate Pokemon with the anime. It's not an anime it's a video game. Also not liking something you have never watched isn't an opinion.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby cmsellers » Wed May 30, 2018 8:37 pm

Tesseracts wrote:I hate it when people associate Pokemon with the anime. It's not an anime it's a video game. Also not liking something you have never watched isn't an opinion.

It's an animated cartoon TV show from Japan, ergo it's an anime.

Also, I don't have to watch The Real Housewives of Wherever to know that I'd hate it. If you don't like an entire category of shows, it's not unreasonable to suppose that you won't like a specific member of that category.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Tesseracts » Wed May 30, 2018 9:23 pm

cmsellers wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:I hate it when people associate Pokemon with the anime. It's not an anime it's a video game. Also not liking something you have never watched isn't an opinion.

It's an animated cartoon TV show from Japan, ergo it's an anime.

Also, I don't have to watch The Real Housewives of Wherever to know that I'd hate it. If you don't like an entire category of shows, it's not unreasonable to suppose that you won't like a specific member of that category.

Anime is a huge category with a lot of genres, so yeah it is unreasonable to say you wouldn’t like anime. It makes as much sense as saying you dislike something because it’s live action. Especially because you have probably never watched Pokémon or anything remotely similar to it.

If Jim had said he wouldn’t like Pokémon that wouldn’t be unreasonable. However he said it’s childish and not a big deal. You can’t form these specific critiques of a TV show you have never watched in your life. Well I guess you can but it just makes it look like you have no idea what you’re talking about and are choosing to wear your ignorance as a badge of honor.

Speaking of having no idea what you’re talking about I very clearly stated Pokémon is a video game. I thought my point here was obvious but I guess it isn’t since your retort is “no it’s a TV show from Japan” as if you seriously think I need the definition of the term anime explained to me.

This began because I was discussing an upcoming Pokémon video game on Discord and Jim butted in with all this stuff about how it’s a TV show for kids which he has never watched. No, the show and video games are not the same, get this through your head people. This happens a lot.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed May 30, 2018 9:38 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Anime is a huge category with a lot of genres, so yeah it is unreasonable to say you wouldn’t like anime.

It wouldn't be a category, though, if they didn't all have something in common.

I don't like anime. I've tried animes where I've really loved the story, the characters, the genre, but I just don't get on with the anime style. I'm not saying categorically that there's no anime in the world that I would enjoy, but what I dislike seems to be constant enough across anime that I don't feel inclined to keep trying them in case I come across one that's not like any other.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby iMURDAu » Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 pm

My Pokemon Experience:

For years I was wondering why the hell there wasn't a 15-20 hour portable RPG. Then one finally came out. Two versions, I took Blue. Find creatures, make them fight each other, level them, evolve them. It was meh to me then the anime started airing that fall and I became the joke among my group of friends for playing "that kids game". Which to me made as much sense as someone being 18 when the Super Mario Bros animated show came out and being made fun of for playing "that kids game". Whatever. Once a sequel was announced I realized this thing, like a common Toyota, would probably never die until someone wrecked it. I'm just not into collect and battle RPGs. I tried Shin Megami Tensei 4 (worst overworld map of any modern game) a few years ago but the genre just bores me compared to story driven RPGs.

Which I know makes no sense because you're still grinding for something at some point in most RPGs just not character variations.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Krashlia » Wed May 30, 2018 11:28 pm

Jeez you mention anime once and suddenly paragraphs show up.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu May 31, 2018 8:54 am

Tesseracts wrote:This began because I was discussing an upcoming Pokémon video game on Discord and Jim butted in with all this stuff about how it’s a TV show for kids which he has never watched. No, the show and video games are not the same, get this through your head people. This happens a lot.

Nope, it actually started when I said that I never heard of the theme-song and you dismissed me as trolling because "everyone knows it". Pokemon isn't a big deal for me, it is a kids-show designed for children. I shouldn't have to watch every episode and play every game to say that Pokemon isn't my sort of thing and I don't see what the big fuss is all about, with even the mere mention of not knowing the theme-song is considered to be a lie and trolling. I don't say you're trolling for not knowing the classic tune for thunder-birds.

Casual nostalgia is one thing but c'mon, when it gets that excessive it's almost like Pokemon is akin to a cult.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Further note: I have no issue with people enjoying Pokemon, collecting toys and playing games since that is up to them. It's nostalgic for many and it's not a bad thing to have a way to release your inner child and do something completely innocent. I have issue however in people expecting me to know it religiously as well simply because they do, I don't need to know it nor do I need to be expected to enjoy it. I don't need to watch every episode just to have the opinion that I don't see the appeal in cartoons about kids collecting magical animals in balls to fight/compete with each-other.

I don't watch football either nor do I have any favorite team (which is a big deal in Australia), I shouldn't have to watch every game played and know every team anthem to be able to say that I don't see what's the big deal with football. And I shouldn't have to do it in order to say that I find watching people running up and down a field on TV boring and that it's the fastest way to get me to change the channel.

By virtue of existing in this planet each of us have our own preferences and opinions, and nobody can take that away from us Tess.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu May 31, 2018 1:07 pm

I feel like saying that Pokémon is an anime is like saying Action Man is a cartoon. In both cases the TV show is a supplementary product designed to act as advertising. This is especially clear with the Pokémon anime where the show throws all narrative consistency out the window in order to keep the leads traipsing around wherever the new game is set even when it makes no sense. The intention is to act as advertising for the game, and that shows that it is as a product subordinate to the video games, which are the primary product and it's much more reasonable to describe Pokémon as such.

On the other hand, I think it's entirely possible to go through life without experiencing it or caring about it. I've personally missed a lot of unrelated anime series because they generally don't interest me. I don't like to spend a ton of time telling people who have how much I've not experienced them though, generally because beyond a vague "doesn't interest me" there isn't much I can say without being ill-informed or offending people who do know about and care about those things.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu May 31, 2018 4:34 pm

Well Jim I looked at the Discord conversation again and I didn't actually accuse you of trolling for saying you don't know the song, I accused you of trolling because you started arguing with me about my depression which I interpret as a personal attack. To my knowledge nobody ever said anything about you trolling in relation to Pokemon and in fact I already clarified on Discord that I did not accuse you of doing any Pokemon related trolling. So I don't know why you keep making that claim. But this is off topic so you should PM me if you have anything to say about that. I will just say I honestly do not care if you aren't interested in Pokemon and I respect that, but there is no justification for your constant insistence that it's childish and beneath you and it just comes off like you're picking on me. I'm happy to talk about what aspects of Pokemon are childish or not childish but that wasn't the way this conversation was going unfortunately. I don't insult the entertainment you like that I don't care for. It's not nice to drag arguments from chat into this thread and that's not really what this thread is for.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu May 31, 2018 8:25 pm

Tess I'm not trying to direct it at you. And it wouldn't make sense to within this thread to complain about the weird things I watch since it wouldn't be controversial. Although you could mention that you never watched the original Star-Trek and don't seem to want to because that certainly is strange and I'd wager would be controversial for some.

Since I don't want to be portrayed as "butting in" though I'll just say what happened. One person came out of the blue and started saying they are the best at something and I asked the best at what? Someone then said I'm pretending to be ignorant and to ignore me while another called me an idiot. Turns out it "be the best" or something was a lyric to that Pokemon theme-song, I have never heard of it and I made sure to say that so how would I know? Since the response was like that I figured it would be considered "controversial" and perfect for this thread. That's all. Now thinking about it though I have a feeling I posted here about Pokemon on this thread before before.

But anyway it's a TV-program designed and marketed for children, so in my defense describing it as a bit childish is perfectly appropriate. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just geared for children. I get that many adults feel nostalgic since they watched it as kids and that's completely understandable, but I didn't watch it myself and so even to this day I fail to see its appeal. I probably never will.

UPDATE-UPDATE:
Okay, I did a bit of thinking and I change my opinion. Now I think I'm starting to actually hate Pokemon, like even thinking about it is getting me frustrated. Although it's 5:37AM and I haven't slept at all so that could also be a factor.

UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE:
It's past 6AM and I edited this a bunch of times and I'm tired and grouchy. I'm just failing to voice myself in the way you guys deserve, tomorrow I'll do better.

Last edited by DoglovingJim on Thu May 31, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu May 31, 2018 9:16 pm

Things are getting a little heated. I think maybe everyone is taking this a little too personally.

Jim, I know your initial post seems innocent enough, but dragging an argument from Discord into a thread like this, even without naming people directly, can be viewed as being very passive-aggressive. Your experience with popular culture is very random, where you have a lot of direct knowledge of obscure things, but you don't know the basics of other things that are very popular.

There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for this (like the fact that you live in Australia), but we don't really know anything about you as far as like your age, background, etc. That makes it harder for people to understand your gaps in knowledge and believe that you could be trolling or "playing dumb" on purpose.

As to the topic at hand, Pokémon is first and foremost a series of video games. Most of the people here grew up with them and either still enjoy them or at least have fond memories of them. You seem to be willfully blind to these facts and keep harping on the TV show. Intentionally or not, the way you have been discussing has been very dismissive.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu May 31, 2018 9:27 pm

Hold on. There's someone out there other than me who doesn't know the Thunderbirds theme song? Mon Dieu!

EDIT: The same goes for the Pokemon theme song.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 pm

I actually agree with your opinion on the Pokémon anime. It’s deeply flawed and seems to get more immature each year. I can’t get into it as an adult. However I see Pokémon as a video game series. Of course you don’t have to enjoy either of them. My Dad gave Pokémon Go a perfectly fair chance and just doesn’t see the point. Not everyone will like it. Also I’m sorry I said you are lying about not knowing the Pokémon song as that would be a completely pointless thing to lie about.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Thu May 31, 2018 9:47 pm

The comment section has become entirely about who said what on discord, petty arguments about what "we-mean-by-pokemon," grumbling about political figures, grumbling against the grumbling about political figures, and news flashes and reactions to news flashes, and the reactions to reactions to news flashes. The comment section has become every social media site online, only with fewer members.

I don't know how to delete my membership, but I'm trying.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

PreviousNext