Controversial opinions you hold

Discussion, in general

Re: Controversial opinions you hold

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:13 am

52xMax wrote:
cmsellers wrote:I mean, there's a certain manner of condescendingly explaining/correcting which I've only ever encountered from men, typically online. I absolutely do believe mansplaining exists, it's just that the people who claim to call it out usually aren't.
Care to elaborate? Or explain, if you will.

On which part? I am sick and have been trying to not read threads where I need to make a thoughtful response, but I know I will forget to respond to this one if I do not do it now, so will try my best to answer.

I believe mansplaining exists, because there have been many times people on the internet (and sometimes IRL) have 1. told me I am wrong about something, 2. I have provided proof that I am right, and 3. they doubled down with vague rebuttals or resorted to ad-hominems. Every time this has happened IRL, and every time I have determined the gender of such a person online, they have been male. One IRL example that still sticks with me is a political science major in my Arabic class who corrected me calling Kurdish an Iranian language to tell me it was a dialect of Arabic.

However I believe that a lot of them people who complain about "mansplaining" are using it as a shield against criticism. For example, I have noticed that WRT the wage gap, pointing out that the figures they are using are dated and do not even take into account even obvious things like occupation or hours will get you labeled as a mansplainer who is trying to trivialize a serious issue.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:35 pm

So if a woman does it then it's what femsplaining?

It's still awful behavior and isn't exclusive to either gender.

It's another term to divide people, at least imo.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:54 pm

cmsellers wrote:
52xMax wrote:
cmsellers wrote:I mean, there's a certain manner of condescendingly explaining/correcting which I've only ever encountered from men, typically online. I absolutely do believe mansplaining exists, it's just that the people who claim to call it out usually aren't.
Care to elaborate? Or explain, if you will.

On which part? I am sick and have been trying to not read threads where I need to make a thoughtful response, but I know I will forget to respond to this one if I do not do it now, so will try my best to answer.

I believe mansplaining exists, because there have been many times people on the internet (and sometimes IRL) have 1. told me I am wrong about something, 2. I have provided proof that I am right, and 3. they doubled down with vague rebuttals or resorted to ad-hominems. Every time this has happened IRL, and every time I have determined the gender of such a person online, they have been male. One IRL example that still sticks with me is a political science major in my Arabic class who corrected me calling Kurdish an Iranian language to tell me it was a dialect of Arabic.

However I believe that a lot of them people who complain about "mansplaining" are using it as a shield against criticism. For example, I have noticed that WRT the wage gap, pointing out that the figures they are using are dated and do not even take into account even obvious things like occupation or hours will get you labeled as a mansplainer who is trying to trivialize a serious issue.

But you're a bloke aren't you? So it doesn't fit my bill of "mansplaining", since a man refusing to believe another man is right despite being given proper evidence on the contrary is simply stubborn and/or ignorant. I don't like that phrase due to its somewhat sexist connotations, and also because women can be pretty darn stubborn too.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 pm

@MURDA
In my experience, it seems that women are far less likely to issue erroneous "corrections" than men are, and far more likely to clam up or change the subject if you argue with them. Men are both more likely to "correct" you inaccurately and to double down on being wrong.

@Jim
I do not identify as a man, however people do tend to perceive me that way. Which may be why I encounter it online (where everyone assumes you are male but no one really knows) a lot more than in person.

Mansplaining is something me seem to do to people they presume are less knowledgeable than them, a combination of bluffing, presuming ignorance on the part of the other party, and refusing to back down when their bluff is called. In the example I mentioned, the political science major went to a much better college than I did, and likely assumed he was smarter than I am. Online, I notice I get mansplained to only when the person doing the explaining thinks they know more than the average person on a given subject, which will often come up when they argue from personal experience to justify their claims.

Sex becomes an issue because a lot of men tend to assume that all women (but not all men) are ignorant about certain things (cars and finance, for example), provoking the mansplaining impulse towards women more often than towards men. However I do not believe that mansplaining is something that men only do to women, nor that it is necessarily sexist when men do it to women, though it very often is. I also think that men are more likely to interpret a man mansplaining to them as the man being an idiot or a dick rather than as a gendered behavior.

I believe that the impulse to mansplain is to a large degree a cultural issue: men are taught that admitting ignorance is not acceptable, and that having information to add to a conversation (even inaccurate information) is a sign of strength.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm a boat! I boatsplain.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:08 pm

God now sellers would you just listen to what I'm saying and attempt to comprehend it? You know nothing about mansplaining. Allow yourself to be schooled.

Am, uh, amidoing it rite?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Krashlia » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:07 pm

The reason why the Black murder rate is so high is mostly in part because, not only do murders only happen in the thousands not millions, the majority of ~40 million live within cities (high crime rates, dense population) and in the East Coast (high population, denser than west).
Also the reason why they're over represented in Hollywood (at most a thousand celebrity figures, and its in another city).

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:57 am

Land of the Lustrious is Diamond Authority propaganda

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:58 am

I do not know about the books, but on Game of Thrones, I do not like Arya Stark as a character. She does not really seem to have any personality, other than being a badass action chick who is good at killing people. Plus she has become a Mary Sue in later seasons.

Compare her to Alanna, from Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness, or Talia, from Mercede's Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar: these are badass action chicks who were genuinely compelling, memorable characters. Hell, compare her to Brienne of Tarth, also in Game of Thrones, who is a badass action chick who still manages to be much more interesting than Arya.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:17 pm

I like Arya. She's not memorable and an assassin should never be memorable.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 am

Memorable assassins are like Memorable intelligence agents: All dead.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:19 am

cmsellers wrote: She does not really seem to have any personality, other than being a badass action chick who is good at killing people. Plus she has become a Mary Sue in later seasons.

Well, she was with the Faceless Men, and that's literally who they are supposed to be, they are supposed to discard their identity entirely. Yeah, she never did that, but her stay here did have an impact. The loss of her identity is more pronounced in the books, where she has to use many aliases even before joining the Faceless Men, and at one point she isn't sure anymore who she really is. "She'd had so many names. Had she only dreamed Arya Stark?"

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Spoiler: show
The loss of her identity is more pronounced in the books, where she has to use many aliases even before joining the Faceless Men, and at one point she isn't sure anymore who she really is. "She'd had so many names. Had she only dreamed Arya Stark?"

Not really though. Most of her fake names are taken from her life and childhood. The most prevalent one is Cat of the Canals, which is her mother's name. She uses her warging ability to evade the blindness test and keeps reciting her death list. She never gets rid of needle either. She keeps applying her own morality to targets and kills people like Dareon when there's no reason for "nobody" to do so. She's not much better in the book, it's just not gotten to the "ultra ninja assassin" part yet so we can't know if he's going that way. Honestly it seems like the House is playing her for her usefulness rather than they are making her an actual Faceless Man.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:14 pm

Spoiler: show
I wasn't saying she became a Faceless Man in the books, but she did join them and tried to get rid of her identity, only she couldn't go through with it. But maybe there's a reason that there's little more to her personality in the show than identification with her family and obsession with revenge; her identity has been whittled away. Or maybe it's just bad writing.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext