Controversial opinions you hold

Discussion, in general

Re: Controversial opinions you hold

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu May 31, 2018 9:54 pm

LaoWai wrote:The comment section has become entirely about who said what on discord, petty arguments about what "we-mean-by-pokemon," grumbling about political figures, grumbling against the grumbling about political figures, and news flashes and reactions to news flashes, and the reactions to reactions to news flashes. The comment section has become every social media site online, only with fewer members.

I don't know how to delete my membership, but I'm trying.

You're not in the EU, are you? =P

I mean, we are literally The Comment Section. We're like a microcosm of all the comment sections through out the internet. The whole purpose of the site is to argue over stupid things, though I must say we do it a lot more civilly than most.

I honestly hope you stay, though. We always like to have more and differing views to provide another perspective.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby iMURDAu » Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 pm

We've been at this for 5 years so if you want to resurrect some old topics like The New Phone Book Is Here, be my guest.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Tesseracts » Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 pm

LaoWai wrote:The comment section has become entirely about who said what on discord, petty arguments about what "we-mean-by-pokemon," grumbling about political figures, grumbling against the grumbling about political figures, and news flashes and reactions to news flashes, and the reactions to reactions to news flashes. The comment section has become every social media site online, only with fewer members.

Personally I think the level of discourse here has generally decreased. We are trying to change things a bit and get the old level of conversation back if that helps.

Also the Discord is currently more active than the site. If you’re not on Discord it probably seems like a source of drama but it’s mostly a good place to hang out.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby LaoWai » Thu May 31, 2018 10:32 pm

Tesseracts wrote:

Personally I think the level of discourse here has generally decreased. We are trying to change things a bit and get the old level of conversation back if that helps.

Also the Discord is currently more active than the site. If you’re not on Discord it probably seems like a source of drama but it’s mostly a good place to hang out.

Thank you for the rather reasonable and fair response there, Tess. It reflects a lot of my personal, recent feelings.

For various reasons, discord's just not an option for me.This is changes, maybe.

While I do feel like I'm probably done, I want to thank you, Tess, specifically for the space you created, and I do want thank all the other lovely brothers and sisters who made my time on the site really wonderful. I could've sneaked off like a thief in the night, but I do want you all know why I'm going and why it bums me out to be leaving.

See, what started as a defiant sort of missive got melted in the face of the just the "way" of the place. Thank you all for your support.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby CarrieVS » Thu May 31, 2018 11:13 pm

I guess I should finally peel those paper labels off my Rubik's cube.

I shall miss you a great deal, Lao, but best of luck.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:25 am

I was saying that we've been doing this so long that we're acquainted and we've talked about so many things that current events and personal interests tend to be conversation drivers.

I'm going to have my Hyrulian fairy friend sprinkle some dust on that thread I mentioned if you don't do it yourself though for real.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:17 am

LaoWai wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:

Thank you for the rather reasonable and fair response there, Tess. It reflects a lot of my personal, recent feelings.

For various reasons, discord's just not an option for me.This is changes, maybe.

While I do feel like I'm probably done, I want to thank you, Tess, specifically for the space you created, and I do want thank all the other lovely brothers and sisters who made my time on the site really wonderful. I could've sneaked off like a thief in the night, but I do want you all know why I'm going and why it bums me out to be leaving.

See, what started as a defiant sort of missive got melted in the face of the just the "way" of the place. Thank you all for your support.

It will be a shame to see you leave LaoWai.

I'd post more on the forums but there isn't many new threads, might start necroing (that's the term for it right?) some old ones though.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:04 pm

I’m perfectly fine with Kim Kardashian’s involvement in politics. She’s smart and hard working and she wants to reduce prison sentences.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 pm

This would probably be less controversial in Europe or New Zealand, but I believe that the US (and many other countries) give far too much latitude towards parents in how they raise their children. And while I believe that parents should have a fair degree of latitude in how they raise their kids, the phrase "parental rights" sets my teeth on edge. In particular, I believe that the following things should be illegal.

1. Not vaccinating your child, unless your child has a legit medical reason that makes an actual doctor advise against it.
  2. Taking your child out of sex ed. (For homeschooling, sex ed should meet the same requirements as other courses.)
  3. Sending your kid to live with someone who is not their guardian without their consent, such as boarding schools and "troubled teen" camps. (Edit: To be clear, giving up guardianship to adoption or the foster system is fine. So is sending your kid to a boarding school with their consent. I'm talking about using your guardianship to outsource your parental responsibilities in a way that makes your kid miserable and may be abusive.)
  4. Hitting a child.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Tesseracts wrote:I’m perfectly fine with Kim Kardashian’s involvement in politics. She’s smart and hard working and she wants to reduce prison sentences.

I don't think she's especially smart or hard working, but I'm fine with what she's doing currently.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Tesseracts wrote:I’m perfectly fine with Kim Kardashian’s involvement in politics. She’s smart and hard working and lives in a Barbie world.

FTFY

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:45 am

Holy shit this video suuuuuuuucks. I was expecting something decent because it's "trending" or some shit and it features a new Gorillaz character which is a Big Fucking Deal. The music is terrible and the video is boring. The animation style is way too tame. Jack Black is incredibly annoying. I don't hate Jack Black but I really hate him in this video. There is an incredibly obnoxious product placement for the terrible Beats headphones. Most of the characters show up just to stand around. The new one pops a basketball and it deflates and zooms away like a balloon. Basketballs do not behave like this. The female gorilla beats somebody in chess to prove that despite being a girl she is smart. The rollerblading one won't stop smiling and has gotten too tall and skinny.

For comparison here is a video that is actually cool and not a complete waste of time.

Update: I Googled it and apparently the new character was originally in Powerpuff Girls. Which means... ?????

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:04 pm

This post is not a complete waste of your time.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:53 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:This post is not a complete waste of your time.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 am

Tesseracts wrote:Holy shit this video suuuuuuuucks. I was expecting something decent because it's "trending" or some shit and it features a new Gorillaz character which is a Big Fucking Deal. The music is terrible and the video is boring. The animation style is way too tame. Jack Black is incredibly annoying. I don't hate Jack Black but I really hate him in this video. There is an incredibly obnoxious product placement for the terrible Beats headphones. Most of the characters show up just to stand around. The new one pops a basketball and it deflates and zooms away like a balloon. Basketballs do not behave like this. The female gorilla beats somebody in chess to prove that despite being a girl she is smart. The rollerblading one won't stop smiling and has gotten too tall and skinny.

For comparison here is a video that is actually cool and not a complete waste of time.

Update: I Googled it and apparently the new character was originally in Powerpuff Girls. Which means... ?????

Well, since the Powerpuff Girls did a crossover with Teen TItans Go!, and TTG! had a song done by Fallout Boy, that means THE GORILLAZ AND FALLOUT BOY EXIST IN THE SAME UNIVERSE!!!

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

PreviousNext