Controversial opinions you hold

Discussion, in general

Re: Controversial opinions you hold

Postby Krashlia » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:01 pm

I don't really agree with the first. But, on that second part:
And Selfish to who, really?

The only ones likely to care about the fact that not enough babies are being had, or not enough people are having sex, are psychiatrists and sociologists (who are only interested in that as a proxy for sex, in order to figure out whats up with society) and various rational planners (capitalists and other economists and various institutions) who no one proclaims to, or wants to, live their lives for to start with.

Krashlia
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:46 am

Krashlia wrote:I don't really agree with the first. But, on that second part:
And Selfish to who, really?

Your...self?

I guess it deprives would-be grandparents of a chance to exact revenge on their kids try to make up for the mistakes they made the first time. Not to mention it’s the precise opposite of having/raising kids, which is generally considered inherently selfless.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Postby cmsellers » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Most people who have kids want them. And if you don't want kids, you really shouldn't be having them.

cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Postby 52xMax » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:30 am

A lot of people who want kids shouldn't have them either. And there's definitely people who don't want kids who end up having them, usually more than one, frequently to different partners, and more often than not with terrible results.

There's people other than psychiatrists who worry about not enough people reproducing, on account of the replacement quotas not being met to run the human pyramid scheme that is social security and retirement plans. Some Scandinavian countries and Japan come to mind. Then again there's a lot of third world countries where people have way too many children and the conditions for them to develop their potential or even reach adulthood become very limited. So really, it's just a matter of allotting (human) resources properly.

As for whether it's selfish to want to have offspring, that's the whole basis of Richard Dawkins' seminal work, pun very much intended. But it is also the reason we are here along with all the other surviving species, and that same drive to pass on our genetic material manifests itself in other memes that incentivize us to help our kin and participate in communal activities or charity. So it is selfish, but not in the narrow way we usually think of that sort of behavior.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Krashlia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Manger Dog Laws should exist for creative works. I'm quiet ticked at the idea of games or films that can't see the light of day, because some company is holding the liscence but will never produce another copy, or some existing stock of products that won't be sold because of some nonsense to do with lawyers.

And, while we're at it, non-controversial opinion, screw region locking. You mean to tell me that we have 800 military bases across the globe, but somehow a DVD brought in Dominican Republic can be prevented from functioning in a player in Colorado?

Krashlia
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:37 pm

So does this mean I'd be able to sell my unauthorized version of Winds of Winter? Sound good to me. I mean sure, I'd have to read the first five books and then write book six from scratch, but I bet I still finish before GRRM does.

Seriously though, this is an interesting proposal, and I tend to favor almost anything that shrinks the scope of "intellectual property" monopolies, but figuring out how to implement it would be tricky. It would involve radical revisions to both copyright and trademark law. Do you distinguish between an officially completed series, like JRR Tolkein and JK Rowling's books, series with no set finish like GRRM's Haviland Tuf series, and series with a set, but apparently abandoned ending, like GRRM's ASOIF series?

Applying this law to all series works seriously undermines trademark for creative works, but not other enterprises, which seems odd, and also encourages authors to turn out dreck just to keep the series in use. Applying it only to known serial works could be avoided by just saying each work is definitely the end. I'm not sure if there's a good way to let people build on old creative works, at least not where they are prominent enough to be trademarked.

You could also make a case for releasing out-of-print works into the public domain after a certain number of years, but a less-extreme version, releasing only orphaned works into the public domain, was roundly defeated by the copyright mafia.

However if we shrunk copyright back to 14 years from publication with a cost to renew for another 14, combining the automatic copyright we have now with the copyright durations we used to have, that would dramatically reduce the gap for when people have access to them freely, and even more dramatically reduce the gap between when works are released and when people can build on them, at least for works which aren't popular enough for trademarks. And this has the benefit of being a lot easier to explain to the public than orphaned works laws.

cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Previous