Controversial opinions you hold

Discussion, in general

Re: Controversial opinions you hold

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:05 pm

I think the Eiffel Tower, the Shard, and the glass pyramid in front of the Louvre are all ugly and jarring. Moreover, historical preservation be damned, I'd be happy to see them all torn down. I also feel the same way about brutalist buildings, but that is somewhat less controversial.

Brutalism at its finest

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Lindvaettr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:08 pm

cmsellers wrote:I think the Eiffel Tower, the Shard, and the glass pyramid in front of the Louvre are all ugly and jarring. Moreover, historical preservation be damned, I'd be happy to see them all torn down. I also feel the same way about brutalist buildings, but that is somewhat less controversial.

Brutalism at its finest
Spoiler: show

Do you feel the way you do about the Eiffel Tower, the Shard, and the Louvre pyramid because of their designs themselves, or because you don't like how their styles look in juxtaposition with the surrounding architecture?

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:26 pm

The Eiffel Tower and the Shard I dislike the designs, but if they were in Dubai they wouldn't evoke nearly the same reaction from me. I'd probably still think they were tacky but otherwise not think about them too much, pretty much the same way I currently feel about the Burj Khalifa.

The Louvre Pyramid I think would look fine in a more modern setting, based on the fact that I think the very similar Moody Gardens pyramids look fine in their setting (and those pyramids are larger and gaudily colored). However in its current location it's much more intrusive than even the Shard or Eiffel Tower.

But contrast, the Seattle Space Needle I think looks fine in Seattle but I'd still probably hate it in London or Paris. And I think the Atomium would look good in nearly any city, as long as it weren't directly in front of the fucking Louvre.
In other words, the Atomium is fine where it is in downtown Brussels

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:33 pm

cmsellers wrote:
Brutalism at its finest

Flagged! I thought you knew the site policies on posting pictures of crap.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:03 pm

I don't like most brutalism, but the Geisel Library in San Diego is pretty awesome

As is the Perth Council House, in Perth, although I'm not sure it's brutalist rather than somewhat inspired by brutalism. I mostly just mentioned it because it's really fucking cool when they turn the lights on.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:30 pm

Kellyanne Conway is a babe. There I've said it.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Kellyanne Conway is a babe. There I've said it.

22279464_351662291949023_8177295963441053773_n.jpg
22279464_351662291949023_8177295963441053773_n.jpg (23.15 KiB) Viewed 4147 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Typical Michael » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 pm

I see what happened. You were watching SNL. That was Kate McKinnon, not the real Kellyanne Conway.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby 52xMax » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:35 am

Lindvaettr wrote:I don't like most brutalism, but the Geisel Library in San Diego is pretty awesome

That's in San Diego? I'll be sure to go there next time I visit.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:04 pm

52xMax wrote:
Lindvaettr wrote:I don't like most brutalism, but the Geisel Library in San Diego is pretty awesome

That's in San Diego? I'll be sure to go there next time I visit.

It's the main building of the UC San Diego library, so stop by and, I don't know, finish a research paper.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 am

Who, this chick?

Fuck yeah!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby SandTea » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 am

This one or...

that one...

I tried to find the most physically attractive one I could. It wasn't that easy but maybe its just personal taste or I'm just a bit, a bit, surprised personality doesn't play a factor in determining "babe-ness"

To further have people here hate me, my controversial contribution for here would be that I would not want an indoor bird as a pet. You folk love bird pets but a guys gotta fly man. Don't clip my wings!

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:49 am

SandTea wrote:This one or...

that one...

I tried to find the most physically attractive one I could. It wasn't that easy but maybe its just personal taste or I'm just a bit, a bit, surprised personality doesn't play a factor in determining "babe-ness"

To further have people here hate me, my controversial contribution for here would be that I would not want an indoor bird as a pet. You folk love bird pets but a guys gotta fly man. Don't clip my wings!

Some birds remain unclipped, like toucans, because they can't climb well like parrots can. However they require larger cages.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:56 am

Yeah, when I was looking for "ugliest brutalist buildings" and somehow that one came up and I thought "I actually like that one." I told that to Tess who has better artistic taste than I do and she said nothing, so I'm probably wrong.

Lindvaettr wrote:As is the Perth Council House, in Perth, although I'm not sure it's brutalist rather than somewhat inspired by brutalism. I mostly just mentioned it because it's really fucking cool when they turn the lights on.

I don't like that one, at least not based on the picture you posted.

SandTea wrote:To further have people here hate me, my controversial contribution for here would be that I would not want an indoor bird as a pet. You folk love bird pets but a guys gotta fly man. Don't clip my wings!

This is actually a controversial issue among people who keep birds, and I addressed this some time back.

Flying is difficult and energy intensive, and most birds don't fly more than they have to. This is why land birds on islands tend to evolve towards flightlessness over time. Some birds even on continents including fowl, parrots, and mousebirds pretty much don't fly unless they're startled or traveling long distances. All of these birds are also rather clumsy fliers, for all that watching a flock of macaws or geese is an impressive sight. The strongest flyers among birds are never kept as pets.

Parrots are the most popular pet birds, and since captive parrots don't need to fly long distances to find food, they only fly if they're startled. When startled indoors, parrots tend to fly into things. When startled outdoors, they tend to fly off and get lost. When it comes to parrots I am very strongly in the pro-clipping camp.

The other birds that are commonly kept as pets are small songbirds such as canaries and estrildid finches and doves and pigeons. Both groups are generally not kept as pet-pets but rather kept in cages, aviaries, and dovecotes and since they rarely come out their wings aren't clipped. Larger songbirds such as ravens, starlings, and mynahs are sometimes kept as pets as well and my impression is that they mostly get about by walking and hopping even when their wings aren't clipped (again, except when startled or flying long distances).

There are birds which people keep as pets that you absolutely shouldn't clip, most notably toucans. Toucans, because of their large beaks, cannot climb as parrots and mousebirds do and do not find it as easy to hop as starlings and crows do. They're not particularly strong flyers but do need their wings to get around. I would assume that similar logic also applies to hornbills, however hornbills need more space than toucans and I've never heard of one being kept indoors.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:00 am

SandTea wrote:This one or...

that one...

Yeah. For an older gal I think she's quite nicely put together.

When did I say her personality didn't play a factor? I think she's a tough cookie with a bit of fire in her belly. I like that ;)

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

PreviousNext