The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 am

My "n" key has stopped working, forcing me to copy-and-past it to use it.

I do not know what I will do, but the most likely option seems to be doing a custom key binding to replace the caps lock key.

ETA: I figured it out. Caps lock is now n, but I'm thinking maybe I should do something else instead.

Now I suppose that this is just a minor annoyance, or will be when I get used to it.

ETA 2: After some fiddling, Caps lock now maps to enter, enter maps to keypad 0 (a dummy key to make this work), semicolon maps to n, and keypad 0 maps to semicolon. I'm tempted to swap the current locations of n and m though, since I'd have jklm that way.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:18 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:I'm assuming that this is a laptop, because a cheap replacement desktop keyboard can be had for less than $15.

It is, yes.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:42 pm

grab the key and pull. laptop keys are usually on a safety release.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby clownpiece » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:09 am

(Background: 7-8 months ago dad lost his job and refused to get another one. Continued his expensive-ass hobby in the meantime while we were coasting on savings.)

My dad is such a colossal piece of garbage. Right now, we're completely broke. We (Clarification: everyone but him) have given up nice luxuries like going out for lunch, watching movies, buying video games or snacks or any non-essential whatsoever. But HE deserves smokes, and vape juice, and wasting gas sitting out in his truck with the heat on for hours at a time, and going to hockey games, and sodas, and out of town trips, and... whatever he wants. We're not allowed any of those things though, because then he'd have to spend his money on us like we're his family or something dumb like that.

On the ride home from work, he told me he didn't have the money for supper. I walk in the house (He stayed behind in his truck) and what do I see on his computer? An Amazon invoice for a new hard drive. How much did it cost? $230. TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY DOLLARS! 2-3-0!!!!!! We've already had our fucking gas shut off once already. We're behind on bills. He still refuses to get a fucking job. He says he'd applied to "so many different places" but that's a lie. There's an opening at a company downtown that he's qualified for and pays well, but some old co-workers of his from another company he got fired from works there and it'd be "embarrassing" for him. Beggars can't be choosers, you whiny bitch. Plus, he wouldn't be able to dump all of his shifts on others so he can piss off early for hockey games 4+ times a week.

He borrows money from one of my older sisters who no longer lives with us. She requested that he send her copies of the bills so she knew exactly how much to pay. Reasonable request, right? No. He got pissed off and yelled at her! (Well, it was over text, so he wasn't really yelling at her) Apparently it's "micromanaging our finances" and "it's not going to work" and he blamed US (Clarification: everyone but him) for the situation we're in because we didn't get jobs years ago, as if it's our fault that he's a shit employee who got fired twice and we should always be a safety net for him so he wouldn't have to worry about it. It's not that it's "micromanaging our finances", it's that if my sister pays the bills he won't be able to blow her money on his personal luxuries while his wife and two daughters struggle. >.>

Now that my mom, who has pretty bad back problems, my other sister (also has back problems) and me have (minimum wage) jobs, he's just going to continue sitting on his ass and let us do all the breadwinning. He's not going to get a job. Ever. Even if his expensive-ass hobby costs us a fortune. (Editing & filming for the stupid fucking hockey team. God, I hate hockey so much.) He spent over 20 grand on filming equipment, and doesn't demand even a single cent for the time and work he's put in. The team's building burnt down a year ago, actually. A bunch of his equipment was lost. Didn't even ask for compensation, just immediately went out and bought more out-of-pocket.

...And he's kind of a scumbag in general. Just not a pleasant person to be around at all.

Oh, and to top it all off he's cheating on my mom (And his mistress is a gold-digging whore. I don't use the word 'whore' lightly). She knows it, I know it, everyone knows it. He doesn't bother to hide it. He's called his mistress INSIDE THE HOUSE multiple times. And he has a loud voice and terrible hearing. So he's basically yelling and the phone volume is at max. You can hear it from across the house.

clownpiece
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: fwip

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:36 am

Someone should inform the gold digging whore that he can't hold down a job.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby clownpiece » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:43 am

Tesseracts wrote:Someone should inform the gold digging whore that he can't hold down a job.

Oh, don't worry; he lies to her too. It's always "I'll get a job soon," or some other bs excuse... she knows he's unemployed. I haven't heard them talk in a while. Wonder what's up.

clownpiece
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby KryingKraken » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:24 am

I'm fucking sick and tired of dealing with art style thieves. I'm not talking about 'vaguely inspired' or creating something loosely based on mine, I mean full on design, coloring, and highlight theft. I don't even know how to bring it up to the thief nicely because they look up to my art, but I'm done trying to deal with people who steal my one scrap of originality.

Don't mind me.
KryingKraken
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Professional Klutz™

Postby Absentia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:29 am

clownpiece wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:Someone should inform the gold digging whore that he can't hold down a job.

Oh, don't worry; he lies to her too. It's always "I'll get a job soon," or some other bs excuse... she knows he's unemployed. I haven't heard them talk in a while. Wonder what's up.

I just don't understand how people like that can live with themselves. On the bright side, you're 17. Pretty soon you won't have to deal with him so much if you don't want to.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Monday I left work at lunch time because I wasn't feeling good. When I came back to work on Tuesday morning, there was a slip of paper on my desk prompting to do a shift bid.

Basically, because I work in a glorified call center, every 3 months they adjust schedules to account for call volume at various times of day. They make everyone rank the available shifts according to preference, and they do the best to accommodate requests and people's lives.

Well, this shift bid form said it needed to be returned by close of business on Monday. In other words, they only gave a few hours' notice to bid on the shifts, and I wasn't here.

I emailed my wife (we can't use our cell phones at work) to try to figure out which shifts would be best. We have to drop off our daughter at the babysitter's house and pick her up. We also have to consider her schedule.

Before my wife could respond back, they told me I was too late. They had already assigned me a new schedule. Fortunately, it is similar to my current schedule, but I was still furious.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby clownpiece » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Absentia wrote:
clownpiece wrote:

I just don't understand how people like that can live with themselves. On the bright side, you're 17. Pretty soon you won't have to deal with him so much if you don't want to.

Yeah, that's a bright side, isn't it? But I'm not leaving unless I can take my mom and my sister with me too.

clownpiece
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:39 am

clownpiece wrote:
Absentia wrote:
clownpiece wrote:

Yeah, that's a bright side, isn't it? But I'm not leaving unless I can take my mom and my sister with me too.

Would they want to come though? Have you discussed it before? (I know in some cases spouses would be reluctant to leave even if the whole things going badly, choosing to instead weather the storm and hoping it'll all get better).

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby cmsellers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:15 am

Absentia wrote:
clownpiece wrote:I just don't understand how people like that can live with themselves. On the bright side, you're 17. Pretty soon you won't have to deal with him so much if you don't want to.

Serious question:

Why can't your mom just kick the cheating deadbeat out?

If she divorces him he'll have to pay for his children, instead of the other way around.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby clownpiece » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 am

DoglovingJim wrote:
clownpiece wrote:
Absentia wrote:
clownpiece wrote:

Would they want to come though? Have you discussed it before? (I know in some cases spouses would be reluctant to leave even if the whole things going badly, choosing to instead weather the storm and hoping it'll all get better).

We've discussed it already, and made plans to squirrel away some money in an account that dad can't touch until we can afford to move out with all of our stuff AND the cats. (If we leave them, dad will take them out to the bush and abandon them there.)

clownpiece
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

PreviousNext