The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby iMURDAu » Wed May 09, 2018 3:15 am

It isn't much thicker than a common #2 pencil. Stands about 2 feet tall. Sorry, stood. Stands about a foot tall now.

We put it about 15 feet or so away from the back fence. Even if the tree grows fully the only thing that will be blocked by either of the houses behind us is a great view of the back side of our house. We're slightly higher up. Our back fence is much lower than the one that our neighbor directly behind us has. They could see our little tree from their windows but not in their yard. DISREGARD AWFUL DIAGRAM! See our back yards are like this...

|back neighbor| other back neighbor | [
| | | [
-----------fence-| | [ ROAD WAY
| | [
| | [
------------------8 ft high fence---------- [
==========grass path alleyway=========
----------------our 3 ft fence---------------| next door
f | neighbor
dat tree e|
n |
c |
e|

So that's everyone's back yards. Format, format, format, kick me in the nuts, I spent too long on that, just understand one thing about all our back yards. They all face each other. Now the unseen neighbors to the uncharted left of the above diagram are elderly and there's no way they messed with it imo. They have all kinds of expensive bird baths and pay for nice landscaping. Plus since the tree we just had removed was super close to their house we let them know ahead of time and they were just glad for the heads up about the early morning noise.

I think it's a random hit that was done out of spite by a random person who lives nearby and wanted to be a dick and knew they could run up the alley to wherever. There's a pretty big neighborhood behind us and we are en route to the ice cream shoppe.

Honestly I can't see anyone complaining about blocking a view. I'll get pics.

not now is dark.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Tesseracts » Wed May 09, 2018 8:14 am

I got another tick bite.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Malfeasinator » Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 am

Tick bites suck. Har har. But yeah, it's that time of year - check yourself often.

As to the plant situation: four words. Spikey evil death plants.

I'm a big fan, always have been. One of my favorites is called Trifoliate Orange, also known as "Cold-Hardy Orange", which is basically all the worst parts of an orange tree, packed into a bush. If you haven't been around orange trees, they tend to have these GREEN FRICKING NAILS sticking out of their branches. They're brutal.

Trifoliate Orange ups the death factor by growing into a giant wad of spikes. The flowers are beautiful and the orange blossoms smell wonderful, and apparently you can use the sour oranges you get as jam or jelly, but the real treat is the supervillain cred you'll have from owning the most sinister looking plant ever. It grows big and spreads over time, so you'll want to keep it in check from time to time, but dude. Yes. Get these.

LOOK AT THIS BITCH

Wild Roses also grow like mad, and are trainable vines that you can use as a deterrent of some kind. Depending on where you live, they can show up whether you like it or not, but if you take the time to transplant and manage some of the volunteer plants, you'll have some nice border control.

Plus, hey, they also make little rose hips. Yay for Vitamin C.

They taste kind of like apples.

The plants themselves will choke out, cut over time, and kill other plants they come across. Wild Roses do not play well with others. Just keep that in mind.

There are a lot of plants that are thorny or prickly or you know, otherwise very well into the "ouch" category, and some even grow fruit or just look pretty. Bing/Duckduckgo/Google it up.

Be the evil mastermind on your block.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby cmsellers » Sun May 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Pretty sure my HVAC is broken, as in not cooling at all. Since it's been cool enough that I've been opening my windows at night and it hasn't been getting insufferable in my bedroom in the day (it has in my living room), I was in denial.

However I've noticed that there seems to be literally no difference between running the AC and not running the AC, and it's getting to the point where my bedroom is uncomfortable in the day, and at night it doesn't get cool enough for me to go to sleep until almost 5 AM. Texas summer is coming up, and this is not sustainable.

Just to be safe I changed both filters (the small one was around the time it needs to be changed anyways), but it made zero difference, since again, HVAC seems to not be cooling at all.

It will presumably be expensive to fix, and since I cannot figure out what's wrong with it, I cannot shop around for quotes. I also have no idea how to make sure that an HVAC person is honest. Also, something I read said that 85% of HVAC issues are actually electrical issues, which means I might have to call an HVAC repairperson and an electrician.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Quotes should be free. If someone wants your potential business they'll come out and give a free quote. When we had a slight issue last year we had 3 different companies come out to look at it and they all came to the same conclusion and it ended up costing us nothing. Our problem was easily resolved and if we want to get everything 1000% fixed we know how much it'll cost.

Oh I never got pics of my yard but I can today since the water falling from the sky seems to have finally stopped. Also the little tree that could has a couple branches growing so it's a survivor.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon May 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Do you rent? If so, the landlord should be obligated to fix it.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby cmsellers » Mon May 21, 2018 7:26 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:Do you rent? If so, the landlord should be obligated to fix it.

Nope. Rents in Austin go up dramatically every year, so shortly after I moved here my mother bought a condo, on the assumption that within a few years rents will cost as much as the 15-year mortgage. Based on what I'm seeing, she wasn't wrong. Unfortunately, we didn't renew the home warranty after the first year.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Home warranties are horseshit. We got one free with our home purchase. We called about our HVAC before we talked to anyone else. It wasn't covered. The HVAC system was pre-existing. Just for giggles I asked about the roof which is new. Still not covered because it was put on prior to us owning the home so it too was pre-existing. So unless your condo was built after you bought it, your HVAC wouldn't be something they cover.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue May 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Ranting on another's behalf here, but I was sort of affected too. Over the weekend, my girlfriend got absolutely munched on by gadflies. I only got bitten a couple of times but they had her for lunch. In addition to the considerable pain and discomfort, she then couldn't wear a new dress out because her shoulders, upper back and neck were covered in angry, swollen red bumps. It's not enough to completely ruin a weekend but it did adversely affect the mood, as you'd imagine. The most galling part is that the blood will be put to use in gestating a new generation of the little bastards.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Tue May 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Look at it this way:
Even the bugs think your girlfriend is sweet.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue May 22, 2018 9:07 pm

That's exactly what I said at the time sellers. "They have discerning taste." As she noted, though, that statement sort of implies that I've drunk her blood at some point, and found it to be pleasant.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:19 pm

I twisted my knee yesterday, and I’ve been feeling it all day today. So walking has been fun.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Paradox » Thu May 24, 2018 10:00 pm

Dear Brazilian government: when both the extreme left and the extreme right and the center and everyone else agree you're taxing too much, you probably are indeed taxing too much,

Signed, a citizen who pays as much in taxes as an upper middle class Norwegian and have none of the benefits.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu May 24, 2018 11:47 pm

But Paradox. How will the government pay for all those villas?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Fri May 25, 2018 12:20 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:But Paradox. How will the government pay for all those villas?

How can I disable French Canadian?

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

PreviousNext