The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:42 pm

It is 30-something degrees (F) outside and they have the air conditioning on at work! Why? It is blowing cold air directly at my face.

This is a crime against humanity, and a waste of electricity! Everyone on this side of the room has complained about it, but our cries have gone unheeded.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm

You know what you need to do creepy. Get prune juice. Warm it up in the microwave and drink it.

You'll gas them into submission.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Absentia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm

After agonizing over this job for two weeks, I've come to the conclusion that underneath all the fears and neuroses, I really just don't want to live in Richmond. Not that Richmond is all that terrible, but I think I'd be a lot happier living somewhere close to my mother and stepfather. Had I sat down and really thought about it at the time I would have been looking for jobs in WV instead.

So now I have this job set to start tomorrow that I don't actually want, and everybody seems to agree that it would be a terrible stain on my employment record if I just called and told them I'd changed my mind but nobody can tell me exactly how long I'm supposed to stay before it's acceptable to quit. Plus I'm getting all these messages of support from people telling me I'm going to do great and I'm not sure how to tell them that I don't want to do great, and if they fired me before lunch on my first day that might be the best case scenario.

The good(?) news is that after getting close to rock bottom depression over the weekend I feel mostly human again for whatever reason, so hopefully I can manage to hang in for however long I need to without losing my mind. Maybe.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:04 am

I am sick. I have been sick for about 5 days. I am tired of having my nose run like my eyes are the Twin Towers and it's 9/11. I am tired of this fever depleting my energy, leaving little for work and the usual dumbness that goes on there. I am tired of this cough that is tearing up the back of my throat like a cheese grater. I'm a slow grump these days at work, and then I come here and y'all make me smile (mostly).

But.

This morning, an aunt of mine died. We weren't particularly close (it's hard to get close to just one of 12 aunts and uncles [plus spouses like the now dead one, so more like 20ish] on one side of the family), but she was cool. I remember her having a great sense of humor, and she was loving to us kids. Her youngest is just a few months older than I am (his birthday is like 2 weeks away, so I feel for him), which is fun to think about. As far as I know, the flu did her in, on top of having lost her father last month, and other lifelong illnesses; on the bright side, she died peacefully and surrounded by family. The funeral is this weekend, and I want to go. I can't though, because I'm pretty sure I'll just spread whatever sickness I'm fighting right now. It sucks, but I've gotta think about protecting my family before my desire for closure. It's not like I can just swing by the calling hours for a bit or something, because it's a 12 hour drive away.

Plus, there doesn't need to be more than one coughin' in that room (I'M THE WORST).

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:59 am

Can't you just wear one of those masks?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Wear a facial mask and tell them you've become a doctor. They'll be proud of you and people will be a little happier at such a sad time.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Jams, you can even get fancy flu masks to wear.

615MaQs6dRL._SL1009_.jpg
615MaQs6dRL._SL1009_.jpg (103.57 KiB) Viewed 4100 times

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:06 am

So, uh, guess whose hospital's endo refuses to oversee HRT.

Jerk.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Kate » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:19 am

I'm sorry, Absentia, that's rough. How is the job going? Do you have a lease on a place down there, or are you living with family?

I'd say to give it a few months and see how you feel. You've had a very traumatic run lately. When you're a caretaker for someone, that becomes your purpose and when they're gone, all of that purpose just...dissolves. Every day has been about helping someone who is no longer there. It's a grief that eats away at your soul and undermines your sense of direction and purpose. And it wasn't just anyone you were taking care of, it was your dad.

I really hope you can get some good therapy and maybe a change in medication if it's needed. Hang in there. It won't be like this forever. And if you need to move back home, that's not going to look terrible. You can always tell future employers looking at your resume that you needed to move back close to your mom for family reasons, employers are usually pretty understanding of that. And I'm sure your uncle will be understanding of that, too. If I were in your position, I'd start putting out feelers and sending my resume to places in WV. If a good opportunity comes along, you'll have options.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:So, uh, guess whose hospital's endo refuses to oversee HRT.

You came out less than a year ago. I wanted to see an endocrinologist to get hormone blockers (which not identifying as trans they probably wouldn't have given me anyways) and was told it would be six months for the first appointment and six months to a year after that before they'd prescribe anything.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:25 pm

Who has two thumbs and a car that overheats in the middle of winter despite having enough coolant (that was topped off yesterday)? *points at self obnoxiously* This guy.

My car was running a bit hot yesterday, and the coolant looked a little low, so I added a lot more last night. I was out today and it started overheating again. I don't see any spots on the ground, and (after fluid sprayed everywhere as I opened the cap), it looked like it was still pretty full. So I called a tow truck, which should be here sometime in the next two hours or so. by fuck-if-we-know o'clock (I called again >2 hours later to see what was going on).

Last edited by jbobsully11 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby sunglasses » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 am

Not to mention a lot of endos primary deal with diabetes. You have to go to one that's specifically ok with HRT.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:08 am

I was just thinking a couple of weeks ago how nice it is that my youngest cousins are all in high school and I don't have to deal with kids at every family gathering, because for whatever reason I just don't like kids. If I have to spend time with somebody under the age of 16 I start looking for the fastest exit. Don't know what to say to them, don't know how I'm supposed to act, just generally don't enjoy their company at all.

Tonight my sister told me she's pregnant. And I see her a hell of a lot more often than Thanksgiving and Christmas. I want to be happy for her but I couldn't even fake it. Ugh.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:24 am

Absentia wrote:I was just thinking a couple of weeks ago how nice it is that my youngest cousins are all in high school and I don't have to deal with kids at every family gathering, because for whatever reason I just don't like kids. If I have to spend time with somebody under the age of 16 I start looking for the fastest exit. Don't know what to say to them, don't know how I'm supposed to act, just generally don't enjoy their company at all.

Tonight my sister told me she's pregnant. And I see her a hell of a lot more often than Thanksgiving and Christmas. I want to be happy for her but I couldn't even fake it. Ugh.

Interesting since for me it's the opposite, I always found that I preferred spending my time with little kids. That or dogs of all ages, adult humans leave me uncomfortable.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Kate » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 am

Kids have no idea how to act around you, either. Just do what you normally do but maybe no sex jokes. They are more bearable when they're nieces or nephews, as long as their parents are decent. Also when in doubt, just stick your tongue out at them and make a silly sound. Kids like that for some reason.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

PreviousNext