The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Driving in cities is fun! Need for Speed Underground taught me that.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:45 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Driving in cities is fun! Need for Speed Underground taught me that.

*has flashbacks to hours of traffic from my last job*

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Tree update:

I found the culprit. Or one of many possible perps.

A wascally wabbit.

We see them all the time because there's a brushpile in the neighbors yard that they seem to live in. I see a rabbit out the back window while I'm washing my hands and that wanker stood up and brought down the tallest remaining branch! I waddled out there in the misty rain wearing slippers to confront it by saying no and c'mon. Looks like I'm going to need some chicken wire.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Malfeasinator » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:10 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Driving in cities is fun! Need for Speed Underground taught me that.

Aren't those the games where you crash fifty times before you finally get a course right, because the AI cars can do instant 90 degree turns at full speed like they're in TRON or something?

Oh no wait, that was Midnight Club.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:59 am

One of the many things I just love about commercial air travel, almost as much as the seats and the little games the TSA plays, is the way it's perfectly designed to spread contagion. I'm pretty sure I catch something at least half the time I fly, as in each leg of the trip, which means that most of the time when I fly I catch something.

This time, I caught a particularly nasty cold. It's infected my salivary glands, which is a fun new feeling, and while my sore throat itself is mostly gone there's something else going on in my throat which makes it hurt to talk and swallow.

I'm betting that this all goes away just in time for the whatever I catch on the flight back to kick in.

I tell you, if I ever become rich enough to afford a private jet I'm going to be completely unapologetic about it.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby KryingKraken » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:56 am

Everyone always says that working from home sounds fun, when in reality i haven't left my fucking house in days ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also, every company ive done design work for is managed by asshats
"hey we know you need to do this complex map of our facility..... here's a couple numbers aaaand an excel document that isn't to scale!! have fun, we're not going to provide any more information and we're also going to bitch that your map isn't correct" : )

Don't mind me.
KryingKraken
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Professional Klutz™

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:32 pm

So my flight back to Austin was the plane ride from hell. Remember, I still had the cold. And at the time, I was concerned because flying gives me indigestion, and the cold was also giving me indigestion. And the indigestion that resulted was bad, but not nearly as bad as something I had not counted on.

Flight up on the first leg it felt like there were static electric shocks in my ear, a couple times a minute, for fifteen minutes. It was bad, but not nearly as bad as what followed. Going down, my ears simply did not equalize, with me trying every trick I knew to equalize them the whole time. It was excruciating, some of the worst pain I have ever had in my life. Finally, fifteen minutes after the plane landed, the pain began to subside, but it felt like there was water in my ear.

Getting to my connection is a story I may tell on another thread: it involved four incidents of hiccups (with two more on board), but since I always carry chocolate to treat hiccups when I travel (and usually even when I am not traveling), these were manageable.

Then I got on the new flight. Going up was the same, going down was worse. I would rank going down into Austin as the second-worst pain of my life: behind my tooth dying, ahead of the periodontist excavating the infected bone around the remnants of that tooth's root under mostly-ineffective local anesthesia.

The pain and liquid was mucus getting slowly sucked into my ear, and it does not look like it will come out again anytime soon. In the mean time, it has caused a double ear infection. My hearing is significantly decreased, and I am now on two kinds of antibiotics and a prescription NSAID to treat it. (The doctor was adamant that it is definitely a bacterial infection, I really hope she is right.)

I had no idea that this all was a possible consequence of flying with a cold, and of course the only reason I was flying with a cold in the first place is that I got a cold while flying, which may not have happened if a storm in Tampa had not delayed the flight I was supposed to catch the night before.

TL;DR: Without me even having to go there in person, Florida gave me a horrible double ear infection and now I am miserable.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:13 pm

France are cheating bastards, and the ref was, charitably, a fool.

Still proud of the boys.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:10 am

It is eleven days later and I still have a double ear infection. I have been on two kinds of antibiotics and got an antibiotic shot and there is little-to-no improvement in my ear. On Wednesday I went in to the urgent care and thought they said they could give me a referral to an ENT if it had not cleared up in a couple days, so I went back to the urgent care and was told that no, I misunderstood, they do not do referrals.

I wish they had told me this clearly on Wednesday. I do not have a primary care doctor who takes Medicaid. It is almost impossible to find a primary care doctor in Austin who takes Medicaid, I have been trying for literally years. So I will need to go back to the PCP I had when I had private insurance and pay out of pocket for a referral for an ENT. It will take a couple days to a week to get an appointment with her, and then who knows how long to actually see an ENT.

In the mean time, I will be doing nothing to treat my ear infection because I run out of antibiotics tomorrow. I could ask for more from the urgent care, but I am increasingly certain that this is a viral infection. I asked the first person I saw and she was very adamant that it was a bacterial infection, which shut me up initially. But it seems weird that getting mucus sucked into my ears while I had a cold (viral infection) would give me a bacterial ear infection, and since three kinds of antibiotics are not working I am now suspecting that I was prescribed a lot of unnecessary antibiotics instead of getting the treatment I actually need.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:19 am

I got a call last week about a job fairly close by, and they seemed really excited to talk with me, so I scheduled a phone interview for tomorrow morning. My brother has jury duty tomorrow, and mine is the only car he’ll be able to take. I didn’t mind, because I wasn’t planning on going anywhere. I just checked my e-mail, and I got a confirmation message from that company for an in-person interview at 9:30 AM, telling me to fill out their application and bring it with me.

I really could’ve sworn it was supposed to be over the phone.

I’m stupid.

I guess I’ll tell them an emergency came up, like my car exploded or something, but still, I hate being scatterbrained.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:00 pm

Someone pinched among other things my debit card so I quickly had to cancel it, now I gotta wait 5 days for a new one. I ran out of bacon but I still have a bunch of Baked Bean cans in the meantime.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Piter Lauchy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Do you have enough dog food?!?!

This would probably fit better in a different thread or maybe even warrant a thread of its own, but I'd have to do research in that case. Instead I'll rant with half-knowledge:
Apparently, Steve Bannon wants to establish his particular brand of bullshit in Europe and of course, the AfD is jzzing all over itself. Can't you guys, like, keep him? Please? *puppy eyes*

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:49 pm

Yeah well "The Wall" should have theoretically kept people in also but we can't find a way to build it that doesn't involve idk making it out of Titans or something so Steve Bannon is allowed to travel outside the gates for now.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:27 am

Piter Lauchy wrote:Apparently, Steve Bannon wants to establish his particular brand of bullshit in Europe and of course, the AfD is jzzing all over itself. Can't you guys, like, keep him? Please? *puppy eyes*

Europe sent us Sebastian Gorka. Turnabout is fair play.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:44 pm

I’ve been coughing for about a month now. The medicine I got last time helped, but didn’t cure me completely. So I went back to the clinic today, and apparently I have bronchitis. One of the prescriptions I got this time requires me to take something like eight pills on the first day at weirdly specific times, decreasing by one pill per day until I’m down to 0.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext