The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:06 pm

None of us were kidding when we said we're here for you. You know where we are. Zeke, I love you. If I'm around on chat, regardless of what else is happening, I will always come and talk to you if you need me. I think I can promise the same from everyone else.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Sekhmet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:49 am

This is a minor rant compared to most here but I need to rant. For the last 2 Saturday nights a neighbour has been playing their very bass-heavy music very loudly late at night from a car stereo. It is 2:34 as I type this and they are out there. Last week it went on, intermittently, for over an hour and I have no idea how long it will last tonight. I don’t know who it is but it can only be a very limited number. I live in a very quiet subdivision in the suburbs and the majority of people who live here are retirees. I have a feeling that the woman in her 80’s is not going out clubbing. I am seriously considering writing a few anonymous letter politely asking if it could be possible to keep the music down when most normal people are asleep.

I now feel better and I think they have stopped. I hope Right when typed that is started again and it is louder this time! Hopefully it won’t go on too long.

EDIT: I heard at least 16 separate noise “events” from them going to 5:01am. I don’t know if it kept going because I went to bed.

Last edited by Sekhmet on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
So remember, If the women don’t find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy. –Red Green
Sekhmet
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby HarpingCarp » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:06 am

Sekhmet wrote:[..] I am seriously considering writing a few anonymous letter politely asking if it could be possible to [...]

What, threatening to end them and calling their mothers ladies of the night whilst brandishing a chainsaw isn't the acceptable anymore?

*looks at Sekhmet's profile*

Oh.

Canadians.

Kate threatened me to take it down. I need an adult.

Spoiler: show
<Kateness> Carp
<Kateness> Change your damn sig.
<Kateness> Hate Week's over
<Kateness> I swear to God I'll start editing links to your indiscretion with a pirate, in everything.
HarpingCarp
In The Soul Stone
In The Soul Stone

Show rep
Title: The Carpfather

Postby Sekhmet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:45 am

HarpingCarp wrote:What, threatening to end them and calling their mothers ladies of the night whilst brandishing a chainsaw isn't the acceptable anymore?

*looks at Sekhmet's profile*

Oh.

Canadians.]

We Canadian are very polite to your face. It’s only after, once you have walked away when our true selves are shown. To the noisy person we say “please” to our friends we say “What a jackass”.

I now realise that even my insults sound polite. I guess I am truly Canadian.

So remember, If the women don’t find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy. –Red Green
Sekhmet
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:37 pm

sunglasses wrote:Just remember, it's your character in the game that has the negative traits-not you. Some people really, really get into role playing. Such as Notch.

Hey, kiss my grits Suns. :P

On the real, though, a big ol' part of my little guy's journey in that thing was how close to home it all started hitting over time. I have, over the years, sacrificed quite a lot of the things that most people just sort of embrace as normal, all for the sake of principles. And while I continue to assert that there is a wealth of intangible benefits to be had from living that way, the problem is that many of the tangible benefits I once enjoyed are gone, and this because of eschewing those principles even for a split second. Not all of the things that put me in this position are things that are universally disdained; only some are particularly terrible.

The biggest issue I had in playing was that it felt like the people who killed at night and robbed and spat at authority were the ones who were going to win. What irked me particularly was the emphasis on everyone having a happy life as a result of winning. It just didn't seem fair. I thought of several cases of people who were tried for a long period of time for murder, and ultimately acquitted, and their declarations of life finally getting back to normal. Life isn't going to ever go back to normal for the families of the murdered one, and life is ended period for the victim. Where the hell is the justice in that? Now that's real life, and this was a game, of course, and telling myself that is always a shot of fresh perspective. I suppose I'm just very tender-hearted. Examples keep springing to mind: I know a couple friends who experienced bombings near their houses, and both seemed so nonplussed about it. There's a woman I know at the airport who broke up with her worthless and possibly abusive boyfriend, only to reunite with him because "it's a lot cheaper" and using his indiscretions as an excuse to start keeping her own dark secrets.

There's another woman I know... she had an affair with a man a couple years ago. I knew her and the guy both pretty well, and I know the details of it accurately. He'd wanted to keep a safe distance once it seemed like their friendship was getting too close, but after he took a step back she'd get a little desperate; I guess her husband was very distant and even a little cold sometimes. One day they were together with friends and she was surreptitiously trying to get him all worked up, and finally he had to ask the next day what was happening with them. She said she'd fallen in love with him and had given it a lot of thought, and was ready to run off. She'd been married to her husband ten years at that point, and he was married too. Once the affair got to be too much for his conscience, they both told their respective spouses, and while she was still ready to leave, he started to regret his actions terribly. This led to them breaking up, staying with their spouses. It also led to her telling her friends that she'd been all but raped, and in general making herself look as innocent as possible. He lost a great many friends because of these events.

That's part of what got my goat, too. At one point Moo said that everyone had pretty much dropped all pretenses of hiding who they were. Now that deception is a part of the game, but for some reason it started to strike out at me when people were just getting away with doing these terrible things. It reminded me of that silly woman who messed with my friend. Of course he brought hell on himself with his own stupidity, and I don't mean to excuse that either. And AGAIN... all that was real life, and this was a lark. I was a pirate in the last game and didn't have any fun little quirks of conscience killing people and deceiving in that one. I think this game just kind of intersected with a point in my time where injustice started really affecting me. It's a phase I'm sure, and it'll pass.

The POINT of all this ranting is... it wasn't very fair of me to put all that inner turmoil into a character in a game that's supposed to be fun, and I'm sorry if it's ruined anyone's experience. I will endeavor to divorce real life from roleplay a little more as time goes on.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby WaitYAmIHere » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:20 pm

SO! I guess our thoughts and opinions don't matter to you? Are we just that unimportant? Or do we not even register in your thinking? We would've listened? We would've talked to you. I was UP! I was right there!! Why didn't you say anything. Why didn't I? you're never up that late. i could've said something. checked in. GOD. stop doing this to us. Please. I HATE THIS. this sitting here waiting to hear if you'll be alright. don't you see that you aren't the only one hurt? that you are never the only one hurt.

Don't leave us. Please.

Wait... How did I get back here?
WaitYAmIHere
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: An imagination of a figment

Postby sunglasses » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Sometimes we have rough patches in which the lines between realities blur. It happens. Chin up.
*gets thonked by the manly chin*

Also, Banksy is aborbs.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Oh no Yami.

Hang in there buddy. Please don't blame yourself for these things. If you had actually done everything you are thinking you could have done at the moment, you'd just find more things you could've done. This is how people work, sadly. Obviously we don't know all the details, but we're here for you when you need to vent.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Yes. Don't blame yourself, Yami. It 100 percent is not your fault. Please don't beat yourself up, and remember we're here for you, sweetie.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:29 pm

The Plumber knows we're here for her Yami. As you can see she was immediately surrounded by love from everyone here.

On a slightly different note:

Oh good lord Notch.

I LIKED your game character. I'm sure a lot of others did too.
And as I've said a long time ago (or at least it seems that way), I don't mind rambling...

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:58 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby ButtChocolate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Gash wrote:Then, just now, I found out on her Facebook...

There's a chance she wouldn't appreciate the humor or worse interpret it as stalking, but you should create a Facebook page for The Bike and try to friend her with it. Post some stuff on her wall similar to being an animal at a shelter needing a new owner, maybe photoshop the bike having fun with YOU but saying things like "These spokes may be old and rusty and my seat may have a lot less spring to it now, but I've got plenty of good times left in me for the right owner."

OR you could go the completely depraved route and post things like "I'm been waiting for you to come and ride me [Sarah]," or whatever her name is. (If you get thrown in jail for that, I assume that we win the Haunted House game by default because I'm not waiting around 10 years- 5 on good behavior- for you to post to it again.)

"Comb" ~ Typical Michael
ButtChocolate
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Sausage King of Chicago

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Honestly, Gash, at this point I'd say fuck her and let your uncle have the bike.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby pickledlightshow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:19 am

ZekeThePlumber wrote:This isn't really a rant as much as a rambling of stress and anxiety. I've been in a real funk lately. I've stopped coming here for a few weeks, stopped doing ceramics, trying to hang out with people: basically I've stopped doing anything, even going outside. I hate when I get like this and it doesn't really help my depression, anxiety or the pain from the fibro, but I can't help it. I wake up with panic and anxiety and it doesn't go away, day after day, making even basic everyday tasks become insurmountable mountains. That in turn makes me feel crippling guilt and self loathing. It's a vicious cycle, one that I have real trouble getting out of.
Also I've been feeling lately that I don't really fit in anywhere in the world.
Also my family dog is dying but we can't tell if we should put her down yet or not.
I don't know. Looking back at what I wrote makes me want to erase all of it. I hate how it sounds pathetic, clichéd and trite, but I can't think of any better way to put it and it's really frustrating. Anyway, I think it's better that I post something cringe worthy than to erase it all and then go on not posting for weeks.
Anyway sorry for the rambles >:(

Reading that was almost like reading someone talking about my life right down to the dog. I just feel like nothing is worth anything anymore, and I'm terrified about my senior year and going to college. I have separation anxiety, I cant do sleep overs, how am I gonna do college? I've got a growing list of things to do but every time I look at it I just feel hopeless and go to sleep. I don't know what to do.

pickledlightshow
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Post-Modernist

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:20 am

My advice is to take it one thing at a time. Completing your to-do list feels daunting, so just pick the easiest thing on there and pretend the rest doesn't exist for the moment.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext