The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 08, 2020 5:50 pm

My car broke down, again. And, once again, it chose to do it in the HEB parking lot. Which is super-frustrating, because if it had broken down at my apartment complex, I could just leave it and take Lyfts shopping (or find a delivery option that didn't limit how much cheese I can buy) until I felt like dealing with it.

I have one tow left with AAA, but since it looks like most hybrid battery replacers don't charge a diagnostic fee, it's probably better to have it towed to one of them (if they're within AAA's towing range), and be out a tow if it's something else, than have it towed to a mechanic (and I need to find a new one because the last one ripped me off) and be out a tow and diagnostic fee if it is they hybrid battery.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon May 18, 2020 6:22 am

Windy wrote:I like waking up every morning with a mug of ant-infested coffee

Welcome to Florida.

Borax and about 50/50 White Vinegar and Water in a spray bottle are your friend. (Borax to kill the ants, the vinegar to destroy their scent trails so they can't find their way back to your Pop Tarts and such)

And yeah, Florida ants can totally get into your Pop Tarts. Into the package, into the foil, everything. They're crafty bugs.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 29, 2020 5:15 am

AAA just sent me an email to say my car insurance payment is past due.

I pay for the whole year upfront every year in August, and I thought I's set up autopay anyways, so this is a surprise and an annoyance I didn't need and thought I'd set things up to avoid. And of course they sent the email at 11 PM (probably scheduled to send at midnight EST), so I can't clarify until tomorrow.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:15 pm

So after "training" for two weeks on first shift, today I asked my boss if I was supposed to start second shift next week. She had no idea what I was talking about.

I'm not amused.

Meanwhile, the last panel of this Cyanide & Happiness comic is a rough sketch of how I've been feeling...

Spoiler: show

Next-day edit: I got a call today from the headhunter that got me this job, and he said that the company told them I don't work there anymore. He's going to try to figure out wtf is going on, since I haven't had any incidents and (he still thought) I was supposed to start second shift next week. At least they didn't wait until I got there to tell me, unlike a certain company.

-
Monday edit: Those rotten bastards. I was texting with the headhunter over the weekend, and he said I should go in second shift today, thinking that it was a mistake of some kind. I got there a little before 3, only to find that apparently I was fired, but "it wasn't anything [I] did." Yet they still have a second shift (they had their staff meeting around the time I walked in), so idk what happened that they had exactly one person too many. The rotten bastards.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:19 pm

I get we're in the age of COVID-19 currently but this is a problem imo.

This is 2020. Why are businesses closing early on Sunday? What is the point? To inconvenience customers and save on labor? So you can send anyone wanting to spend money at your business to their local Wal-Mart that isn't dumb enough to be closed at an arbitrary time?

I was going to go to Harbor Freight to get a cheap drip pan to collect oil for my lawn mower. Oh no it's after 5 p.m. can't go there. Wal-Mart is further away. I'll just go there.

But Harbor Freight will be open until 7 tomorrow. On a work day. Not the weekend. When people aren't out spending money on home projects.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:10 am

So, today I had one of my birds, whom I refer to here as "J," on my wrist, and I noticed my wrist was covered with blood. I looked, and realized that his foot was swollen and he was chewing on it. I called the closest avian vet, was told their avian vet was in surgery all afternoon and was referred to another avian vet, whose avian vet was also in surgery all afternoon. The second vet referred me to a 24 hour animal hospital, and their answering machine said that if your pet seems to be in distress to just come in, and I figured J trying to chew his own foot off qualified.

Ever since the first time my car broke down and I took it to a mechanic, it's been filled with mold, not sure what they did, but since I don't have a private garage, I haven't been able to air it out, and I've just been living with it, but I wasn't going to risk J's little birdy lungs in the mold car, so I called a Lyft.

It took about four hours, from the time I called the Lyft until the time I got back home. They weren't sure exactly what caused it, but bandaged his leg and then put a collar on him. When L plucked and I took her to the vet, they put a collar on her too, and she managed to get it off in about a day the first time and two days the second time. This hospital assured me that the way they put the collar on parrots have no hope of getting it off.

It cost me $400, and it'll probably be at least another hundred when they remove the bandages. It would have cost another $300 more if they'd done x-rays, and they'd have had to sedate him, but they didn't think the x-rays were necessary now (the most likely explanation also wouldn't be caught on an x-ray), so I held off on that bit.

Once I got him home, J was completely pitiful. He was absolutely obsessed with getting the collar off (I'd probably be too in his situation), and when I tried putting on a towel on my bed with some pellets and a capful of water, he sort of rolled around on the towel trying to get the collar off until he fell right off onto the floor. This has been the first time I've been grateful to have carpet. Since he was clearly incapable of climbing, perching, or even really walking with his foot bandaged up, I lined a decent-sized cardboard box with towels, put in some pellets and a capful of water, and put the box right under a window so he could get some light.

They gave me some medicines and by the time I gave them to him and covered him up for the night, he'd stopped trying to get his collar off and had just kind of given up, but I'm not sure he ate any food and he'd knocked the water cap over. I'm using a medication cap, because I can't think of anything I have shallow enough for him to reach in his condition that will hold water. But I'm worried I may have to syringe-feed him water until the bandages come off, and maybe hand-feed him pellets as well. He'll eat the pellets from my hand if I'm holding him, but it's also clear that me holding him distresses him, so I'd rather he ate on his own.

Hopefully he makes it out OK with a healed-up leg and this doesn't happen again, but I'm gonna be pretty scared for the next week until his bandages are off, and probably a good while longer. I'm still not entirely over the scare I had with L plucking three years ago.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:11 pm

He died last night.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:07 pm

That fucking sucks.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:03 pm

My company:

"We want people who are fully engaged. If someone starts to feel disassociated with work then their performance declines blahblahblah"

Yet this is the worst company I've worked for in keeping people engaged. Main example: holiday pay. I'm a full time hourly employee and I get nothing extra on my paycheck for working the holidays. Oh but they schedule all the full timers off an extra day during that week. Just not the holiday. You work that. You get noffing. But hey they just schedule a part timer instead because then they save a couple dollars an hour on labor and as well all know the main thing you need to eliminate in retail is your labor cost.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:48 pm

I urgently need a medication refill and was trying to get that through my PCP in Austin. They used to have a callback option for long hold times, but got rid of it, so I was listening to their shitty hold music/announcement cycling for an hour and a fucking half. I finally got through to someone, and she put me on hold to check something.

Now, at this point, I should mention that my apartment doesn't get cell service. So in my apartment, I do wireless calling. Unfortunately, the only ISP option in my complex, the one I'd have avoided if I had literally any other choice, even Comcast/Xfinity or Time-Warner/Spectrum, is ATT. And ATT likes randomly disconnecting my internet several times a day.

So, while on hold, ATT decided to go offline again, and my call dropped. Despite asking for a callback number, it's clear the receptionist isn't going to call me back (she probably assumes I got impatient and hung up). So now I get to listen to hold music/announcements for ninety minutes or more all over again.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:49 pm

*screams internally and externally*

So Windows 8.1 is back, somehow. Even if I turn the computer on with the flash drive in. Oh, and the other computer isn’t working right, either.

What the actual...

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:24 am

Getting that med I badly needed was a giant pain, but I finally got it on Friday. I had to pay out-of-pocket because the prior authorization still hadn't gone through and I really fucking needed it. Of course, it went through first thing this morning. Hopefully, I can get reimbursed.

Meanwhile, I have had several symptoms of the 'rona, starting last night. I looked at all the free testing options I could find. Walgreens and CVS both say I should get tested. But Walgreens is full up and CVS's website is broken, specifically the bit that lets you schedule appointments. Harris County wouldn't tell me explicitly that I was eligible, but I got to the appointment scheduler, which was also broken. I'm guessing Harris County and CVS are drawing on the same database, and that's gone down.

So I'm thinking I will see about maybe doing urgent care tomorrow. That would require me to pay out-of-pocket, but I think it would count towards my deductible, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to hit my deductible regardless, so...

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:52 pm

Today NBC launched their streaming service, Peacock, and with it, they premiered the second Psych movie. Being that I am a crazy fan of that show (also known as being a Psycho) and it's a free (with ads) service, I immediately signed up and tried to watch the movie. It kept giving me an error message
incredibly frustrating streaming service from NBC wrote:"Sorry, your video configuration is not compatible with Peacock. Try disconnecting an external monitor."

Now I have two monitors set up, so I unplugged my secondary monitor and disabled my ad blocker. It played all 3 minutes of ads, and then showed the same error message. I tried a different browser, slammed my fist on my desk repeatedly, and otherwise being frustrated. I began downloading Microsoft Edge (MICROSOFT EDGE!), but then I thought of plugging in only my secondary monitor...which worked. It turns out that it would only work if the display was connected via DVI, not VGA. I switched cables so I could watch the movie on my larger monitor, and it threw the color balance off completely! I got it worked out to watch the movie, which was fantastic, but then I switched the cables back after it was done. I cannot get my colors back to normal. My secondary monitor looks fine, but my main monitor keeps looking off. I think I'll wait until tonight to really dig into to it and balance the colors once it's dark.

I have no idea how or why they have such a restriction on their streaming video. Ad Blocking, I can understand, but dual monitors? I don't get it.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:31 am

You know Microsoft Edge is just a skin for Chrome.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:41 pm

My refrigerator and freezer have suddenly stopped working.

It's almost certainly a condenser coil issue, but the design my apartment complex uses doesn't appear to have accessible coils. So I may have to have a maintenance person out, which means cleaning my apartment.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext