The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby Pedgerow » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:29 pm

Considerably worse! For me, anyway. It seems there is a market out there for people who get off on my mother.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:27 am

Yesterday, I mentioned to a coworker that I hadn’t fallen down any stairs in a while (only while going upstairs). Today, I slipped on some steps at home and landed on my tailbone. It still hurts.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:34 am

But was it while you were going upstairs or down?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:26 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:But was it while you were going upstairs or down?

Down, because ofc it was. I wanted to tell my coworker that day, but he was out. So I mentioned it pretty much as soon as my shift started today.

I could make a minor correction to my statement from the other day and have it still apply, but with my luck, I'll probably land face-first into a hornet's nest or something tomorrow if I do.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:10 am

About a month ago, I wrote:After telling me last month that I’d be trained on the bottle fillers in the main packaging area, today my boss said they’re “too complicated,” despite the fact that almost everyone else in my department was trained on them about six months after they started working there (which would have been mid-October 2019 for me), and I’m one of the best operators at other stations that have about as many things to keep track of. I always suspected they thought I was too stupid to learn how to do my job, but damn.

I really have to get out of there.

Today at the end of our shift, a few coworkers asked my boss why she wouldn’t train me on the fillers. She said I was the one who told her I never wanted to learn how to use them, which, unless I had an extremely temporary bout of insanity, never happened.

Anyway, I should be trained on them some time tomorrow. (But I still have to get out of there.)

(multiple edits to get that GIF to show)

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:43 am

So, this became a much bigger headache. The large item is a travel bird cage, sturdier than any you can find in local pet stores, and I wanted it for my move to another city tomorrow.

When the package wasn't delivered by Thursday, I contacted Amazon, where the customer service representative seemed to be unusually stupid. Though, in fairness, Amazon is such a shit employer it's amazing most of of their customer service people are great.

But basically, I was trying to explain that, I've had this happen in the past. It's a known problem, that drivers who cannot deliver on time will prematurely mark packages as delivered. And every time it's happened to me, it's then delivered 3-5 days later than the initial two-day (three-day, in this case) delivery option.

It's fairly obvious that the driver's calculation is "well, I'm already marked as on-time and probably won't get in trouble, but if I do, it's better to get in trouble for being 3-5 days late on one package I mismarked than 1 day late on 3-5 packages I intentionally mismarked." And it's almost certain that I will be getting this package between Saturday and Tuesday with no explanation.

But the problem is that, because I am moving to another city tomorrow, and ordered this item to help with the move, I neither need nor want it Saturday to Tuesday, and if it's delivered then, I now have a largish item at my otherwise-empty unit in Austin to deal with.

So, I wanted Amazon to contact the UPS driver and note that I need this package by Friday or not at all, but he seemed to not understand what I wanted or why I didn't believe it had been misdelivered to a neighbor or stolen. (I was home when it was marked as delivered and have never had a package go missing forever, but 3-5 days to deliver a package marked as delivered happens a lot.) Finally, he told me to contact UPS. He also didn't close the window when we were done, undoubtedly knowing that if he did I would rate him poorly. (Amazon is really great at creating perverse incentives for the people it underpays to behave dishonestly, isn't it?)

UPS refused to do anything because the request had to go through Amazon. So I contacted Amazon again and got a much more helpful rep. She contacted UPS twice before saying basically "UPS claims the package was delivered and an investigation will take about a week, which doesn't help you. I'm issuing a refund and you can keep the package if it arrives anyways."

I'd rather have had the cage in time for a move, instead I wasted 2 1/2 hours of my life in an already stressful time and got a migraine.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:38 pm

That sucks. We've only had issues with Sunday delivery. Once the package just never arrived but was marked as being delivered to an adjacent zip code. No physical address, just "delivered to zip code 12345". That was weird. The only other time we had a Sunday delivery scheduled it was dropped off to an elderly lady who lives on a street off of ours and we only know that because she was concerned it might be important and brought it to us.

But yeah the early marking of things being delivered is a bad joke. Other than the times I mentioned above we always get our deliveries but it's a whole lot of wtf when we're at work and get the notification, one of us gets home and there's nothing. Until later in the day. But 3-5 days? I'd be heated.

And yeah the tying of customer ratings to pay is disgusting. So many people call customer service or go to a customer service desk just to unleash their rage without any plans on having their problem actually get solved. And even if it does get solved they're angry it happened in the first place. The rep is the face of the company, fuck the company, the rep suffers financially. What a great model for motivating your workers.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:27 am

I had something like a sunglasses moment at the beginning of my shift today. Apparently I groaned or sighed somewhat loudly when I was putting on my uniform at the beginning of my shift, and a coworker took it upon himself to lecture me about how to cure a genetic autoimmune disorder that I’ve had for about a quarter century (immediately after he heard a very basic explanation of how it works).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:34 am

At least there is customer service. There's no customer service number, email, text, or chat for Canada Post. All there is the local post office which may have your mail, but likely not, and they can't help you because they don't have a number for customer service either. It's a cluster fuck. I mean you can scream at them all that you want. But they still can't do anything.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:11 am

So, this should really be a minor annoyance, except that it's building on top of something which is already pissing me off.

I moved from Austin, which has four ISPs anywhere in the city but most apartment complexes at least have AT&T and Time-Warner, to Houston, with a dozen ISPs in various parts of the city, whereon I discovered that my apartment complex only has AT&T as an option. AT&T is the absolute worst possible option for me not only because it's one of the most expensive ISPs, but also because they only provide internet on contracts, you cannot go month-to-month, and I don't expect to be here a full year, meaning I'll be paying them $15/mo of remaining contract on top of anything else. I would sooner go Comcast or Time-Warner than AT&T, and I hate Comcast and Time-Warner, because they are cheaper and have non-contract options.

Adding insult to injury, my apartment complex will be getting Comcast as a second option soon, but likely just after the 14-day period in which I can cancel AT&T with no penalty.

But what's really rest me off isn't all this bullshit, which is really just money. It's the fact that AT&T will not let me set the password on my router to be all letters. I've used the same router name and password since 2010, a very long password consisting of all lower-case characters. And while updating all my devices isn't a big inconvenience I'm super-pissed that AT&T is breaking my tradition following security rules which are useless anyways. It's the cherry on top of the shit sundae that is having AT&T as my only internet option.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:14 am

Well, today's been a really shitty day for me. About 80% of it is the hoarders and preppers who made it impossible for me to buy food.

Maybe 15% is an incident that stemmed from that. I really just wanted meat and cheese, and since the cheese I wanted is made in Houston, albeit halfway across town, I figured I might be able to buy it direct from the manufacturer. Conversation went something like this:

Me: Do you sell retail?
Receptionist: Yes.
<pause>
Me: Do you know how much of your Oaxaca cheese you have in stock?
Receptionist: You'll have to talk to the general manager.
<another pause, as I wait for her to offer to transfer me, then I decide it's not worth it, I'll get whatever they have>
Me: Well, OK, thank you, have a good day.
Receptionist: You too.

So, because they close at six and aren't open on weekends, I'm driving across Houston in the middle of rush hour. As I pull onto the highway, there's a cop standing there on the highway on ramp. He gestures for me to pull over and cites me for my expired registration. (I knew my registration is expired; I knew I'd be moving to Houston and wanted to wait so I could register it here, but then have been so busy I didn't get around to it, since I needed my VIN number to do it online.) Are registration traps a thing? I've never heard of it, and Google doesn't turn anything up. Or was he there for some other reason, and if so, what was it?

Now, the good news is that the citation is dismissable for $20 if I can prove I registered it, and registering late after getting a ticket carries a 20% penalty, so roughly $40 isn't all that bad in the scheme of everything else I've spent moving here. The problem is that I have to change my registration to Harris County, and because I have a ticket, I need to go in person to do it. So that's going to be a fun thing I get to worry about. Hopefully I can do that, and hopefully they don't shut the tax office down because of COVID-19 before I get a chance.

So then, after all that and a half hour drive, I get to the cheese factory. I don't see an obvious retail store, and as I'm wandering around, a woman comes out.

Her: Hello, can I help you?
Me: Yeah, I called on the phone and was told you do retail?
Her: I was the one who spoke to you and told you you need to get the general manager's approval to buy retail.
Me: That was not clear at all.
Her: *shrugs.*

In my head, of course, I'm fuming, because I wasted time, got a forty-dollar fine/penalty, and most annoyingly, now have to deal with my registration at the damn tax office, and of course our lovely cop did it on a Friday so I can worry about it all weekend. And while the proximate cause of this was the hoarders and preppers, and the ultimate cause of the ticket and my registration headache is my own laziness, none of this would have happened if the receptionist had a six-year-old's competence in communication.

The other five percent of why my day is shitty is the discovery that my microwave is broken and some meat I bought at Target over a week ago was eight days expired at the time I bought it.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby SlayerGoddess » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:10 am

Rose (my rat) has another mammary tumor (this is her fourth) that needs to be removed. How much mammary tissue does an animal need? I'm getting boy rats after she eventually passes, because this shit doesn't happen with them.

I survived watching "50 Shades of Grey" for TCS Movie Night

3/7/15

NEVER FORGET
SlayerGoddess
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: HER

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:06 am

I understand the panic. Fear of the unknown. If you're found to be sick and need to be quarantined, sure you need food and shit paper. I don't condone it but I understand the thinking.

Of some people at least.

Others are panicking because of dumb shit. I had a customer get highly irritated that we were out of Blue Diamond Chocolate Almondmilk. HOW DOES THAT HELP YOU SURVIVE ANYTHING?

Explained to me about their lactose intolerance and when I suggested ya know, another chocolate almondmilk I was told "that's my brand, I can't drink regular milk". *shrug*

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:34 am

iMURDAu wrote:If you're found to be sick and need to be quarantined, sure you need ... shit paper. I don't condone it but I understand the thinking.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:15 pm

So, the panic from the first COVID-19 case in Houston had died down enough that I was able to go to HEB at 8:30 AM last week and get stuff with no line. I planned to replicate my success today. I waited until eight fifteen, confirmed on Google that it was no busier than usual, and drove to the closest HEB ... to find lines out the door and wrapping around the store.

Apparently, in the time it had taken for me to get ready and get down there, news had spread of a stay-at-home order, which is to take effect at noon today. It doesn't affect grocery stores, but apparently people either don't know that or don't believe it.

So once again, my timing in trying to buy food is terrible. I really should start checking the local news before I go out.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext