The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby Kate » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:50 pm

It really depends on the disability. It's hard to tell from watching someone get loaded into the car how well or poorly they are able to operate a vehicle. Certainly for your lower body, a little goes a long way. Self driving cars will be great for many reasons but until then, disabled people need to get around too and while they aren't entitled to help getting into their cars, that's not really a reliable indicator for whether they are safe drivers. Plenty of handicapped people who need accomodations to get into their cars can still drive just as well as anyone else.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:27 pm

You didn't watch her drive away.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Hah! We all know that handicapped people can't drive. They've got no arms!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:07 am

iMURDAu wrote:You didn't watch her drive away.

Well nothing about her driving abilities was in your post, you just said she couldn't get into a car.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Sorry, I thought the implication was there.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Kate » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:32 pm

I missed it, sorry. Even if it was implied that she was a terrible driver, that doesn't at all lead to your conclusion that people who need assistance getting into their cars can't drive, anymore than someone talking about a woman getting into a car and then driving poorly would imply women can't drive. It's a pretty understandable conclusion to draw in this case, though, and I figured I would point out that though it may seem as if the ability to get into a vehicle is a good way to measure that individual's ability to drive the vehicle, but it isn't really and is a standard that would exclude many safe and good drivers.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:00 am

Why do horror films have to be so violent and bloody? Am watching 2013's Evil Dead. Much blood, very violent.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:07 pm

Try watching Creep. Not much blood and guts iirc.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:40 am

iMURDAu wrote:Try watching Creep. Not much blood and guts iirc.

I thought you were talking about IAmNotCreepy, and was like "there's a lot of blood and guts in him, but you probably won't see them if watching is the only thing you do to him."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Last week, I scheduled a job interview for 9:00 tomorrow morning, since I’m off from work Tuesdays.

Today as I was signing out, I was informed of a mandatory safety training session tomorrow morning... at 9:00. Why they can’t just have it at 7 or 6:45 like everything else is beyond me. We were told it shouldn’t take long (but nothing more specific than that), and we’ll get paid. So I’m thinking either it will be about ten minutes long and we’ll make almost nothing, or it’ll be all day and I won’t be able to do anything else.

next-day edit: The training was basically a twenty-minute slide show to remind us not to be idiots (don’t use machinery you’re not trained on, don’t swipe anyone else in with your ID badge, tell people about any spills or biohazards on the production floor); not to try to put out any fires yourself; and if there’s a shooter (there haven’t been any, ever), GTFO, hide, or fight back (only if you have to).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:07 am

I have two-factor authentication disabled on Google and always have. I also have a security question as an acceptable verification method, if it's ever necessary. Despite this, Google has decided that every new device I log into will require me to authenticate with my old phone. Which fortunately, I still have. Look, I know that turning off two factor authentication is safer, and security questions are unsafe, and my email is a single point of failure so I should be more cautious about it, but it should still be my fucking choice.

And if you're not going to offer me the choice, don't fucking pretend like you are. And at the very least, how has Google not figured out that unknown devices in Texas are me, after all the times I've confirmed for their security events "yes, this is me?"

Plus, depending on a phone, which I've lost before (and now I have my father's old iPhone, which I never wanted because iOS fucking sucks dangly old man balls, but have no money so I have no choice, it's at risk of someone stealing it), creates a new single point of failure. I'm tempted to remove a recovery phone number from Google altogether in the hopes of ending this behavior.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:10 pm

I forgot to set my alarm for this morning, which led to me frantically racing out the door fifteen minutes before I had to get to work, and because the traffic gets worse the later I leave, I ended up 45 minutes late. My line supervisor didn’t really care... because our line had enough people, so I was sent to work on the other side of the room. Which is fine, except I need to ask for tomorrow off because of a job interview car trouble.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:04 pm

cmsellers wrote:two-factor authentication

We use Google for basically everything at my work, and sometimes, in the middle of reading an email or something, it will just log you out and say, "To prove that it's still you, please log in again." It's infuriating and astoundingly stupid. I hate Google so much, partly because of this but mostly because of Captcha, which must be destroyed in fiery armageddon as soon as possible, and damn the collateral damage.

My own personal email address, meanwhile, is a classic old-skool Hotmail one. It always used to ask me for my phone number, "for safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!111!!", and because I know damn well that everyone is out to harvest my data and get rich off it, literally selling my own identity out from under me and keeping the money for themselves, I always refused. Then, once, it updated itself, as it so often does (I honestly don't know how long it's been Outlook instead of Hotmail, for example), and once it was updated, it said, "Hey, you can't log in" (to your own damn email address). "We will send you a text message to make sure it's really you. For safety. Please enter your phone number." Now, it's only just occurred to me how comically futile that is from a security perspective, but Microsoft straight-up locked me out of my own email address until I volunteered to let them harvest my data. The only other time I've ever been so brazenly insulted, so publicly exploited, so profoundly demeaned, was every time I try to use any website with Captcha on it. I really, really hate Captcha. I don't care that this isn't what you were talking about. I hate it so much.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:22 am

Now that I use a VPN, Google makes me solve capchas in order to search several times a week, which is really annoying.

On another note, OSX has been bugging me about important software updates for months and I've been postponing it for twenty-four hours because I never remembered to install them when rebooting. Finally remembered, and these software updates it wouldn't stop nagging me about? Safari and iTunes. Two programs I don't want and never use.

So I try to delete them for the last half hour, and Apple has broken all of the old ways of deleting its useless fucking bloatware. One thing I haven't tried is rebooting while holding down command+r in terminal, and I can't actually do that because my r key is broken and bluetooth keyboard and old keyboard remappings don't work until the computer has started up. I am well and truly fucked here.

I swore years ago that I would never get buy Apple product simply because I was pissed at the Samsung lawsuit. Then I bought a refurbished Macbook because it was way cheaper than a new PC with the specs I thought I needed and I didn't realize that recent Macbooks all had fucking crap keyboards. Then I had to upgrade my operating system because nothing worked and realized new OSX is becoming increasingly like OSX.

And I know this is such a First World problem, but now I have a fucking iPhone even though I think iOS is the fucking devil and always have, because I have no money and my father gave me his, and after using literally the worst Android phone ever invented I have no choice. So yes, iOS is better than the absolute worst Android phone, but I still swear that when I have money, I am buying a halfway decent Android phone smashing this fucking thing with a goddamn hammer.

And now Apples godfuckingawful paternalistic elitist walled garden mobile device philosophy is infesting its computers. So I'm making a new pledge: from the moment I can afford not to until the moment I fall back into poverty, I a never going to touch another fucking Apple product again if it's at all avoidable except with a hammer. And I am very seriously considering overwriting OSX with Linux on this computer, because I swear that aside from not crashing every half hour, OSX is almost as bad as Windows now, which is an impressive achievement for a Unix-like OS.

I was going to ask rhetorically why people put up with Microsoft and Apple's shitty shit, and then I remembered that most software only runs on Windows, plus in an increasingly mobile world, the Linux kernels's dev team still cannot figure out how to keep it from guzzling energy the way Brett Kavanaugh guzzles brewskis. Fuck.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:19 pm

*puffs up proudly*

I use a chromebook!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie