The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 25, 2018 12:46 am

Paradox wrote:How can I disable French Canadian?

Take them somewhere where there's no poutine or Tim Horton's in a hundred mile radius. Works for regular Canadians too.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Fri May 25, 2018 5:56 am

cmsellers wrote:
Paradox wrote:How can I disable French Canadian?

Take them somewhere where there's no poutine or Tim Horton's in a hundred mile radius. Works for regular Canadians too.

Please only send them to Kansas City if they are attractive singles. The others can be sent to Wichita or something.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Fri May 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Pics or I didn't happen:

Porchview.jpg
What I see standing on my back steps
Porchview.jpg (93.63 KiB) Viewed 5236 times

fenceview.jpg
This is the view the tree will eventually block. Don't forget to breathe.
fenceview.jpg (101.45 KiB) Viewed 5236 times

treeview2.jpg
It's alive!
treeview2.jpg (128.32 KiB) Viewed 5236 times

As you can see from the evidence provided, there is no way you can be bothered by that tree even when it was double the height.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Somehow I missed the bit about why MURDA wanted a gharial until now.

You said you had yardwork done, are you sure it wasn't the people you paid being incompetent?

I used to have some gooseberry and currant bushes at my mother's house. I'd planted the gooseberries in a garden bed and the currant bushes in the yard, by the fruit trees but still in the lawn, surrounded by mulch.

At one point, my mother paid some people to do some yard work and they mowed right over two of the three currant bushes. Later, she hired people to weed and clear debris from her garden beds and they took out all my gooseberry bushes, presumably on the logic that "thorns = weeds." Good thing we didn't have any rose bushes.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat May 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Nah we had a tree service cut a dead tree down but that was on the first of May. Their giant truck literally came within inches of the newly planted tree but it was fully intact when they left and for many days afterwards. Someone cut the new tree with shears. It's cut at an angle like if you were pruning. I do all the mowing and trimming here and found the damaged tree when I went to go trim along the back fence one day.

But, and it's a whole 'nother thread, I actually first wanted a gharial as a service animal. Originally to demonstrate how ridiculous the rules and regulations regarding service animals are. Now I want one because I don't want unfamiliar people approaching me when I'm in public. Oh and so I can rudely point out that no, that is not a gator or a crocodile and all giant water lizards do not look the same.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby CarrieVS » Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 pm

iMURDAu wrote:So I can rudely point out that no, that is not a gator or a crocodile and all giant water lizards do not look the same.

If you're going to pull the scientifically accurate card, you may want to extend that to not referring to archosaurs as lizards. Believe it or not, crocodilians are more closely related to birds.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Paradox » Sat May 26, 2018 9:22 pm

So I was explaining the history of military coups in South America. It's relevant because Brazil is on the verge of having another one at any time now. I hate talking about it because everyone seems to notice that democracy was reinstated around 9 months before I was born.

Stop it!

My mom is a virgin okay!?!?!

I was brought by the stork!!!

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun May 27, 2018 1:08 am

I've been shut down. How you might ask? Some guy got shot in front of my Tim Horton's and the police closed it for the day. Without my daily dose of Timmie's I can't be Canadian!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Mon May 28, 2018 1:51 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:I've been shut down. How you might ask? Some guy got shot in front of my Tim Horton's and the police closed it for the day. Without my daily dose of Timmie's I can't be Canadian!

I feel the need to say I took NO part in that.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:21 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:I've been shut down. How you might ask? Some guy got shot in front of my Tim Horton's and the police closed it for the day. Without my daily dose of Timmie's I can't be Canadian!

Just make an extra five apologies before midnight and you’ll be absolved.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:25 pm

I watched the "philosophy of science" segment of Joe Rogan's podcast with Frias Zahabi after being told it was awful. That description was very much on the money. Firas is a wizard when it comes to grappling and mma, I could listen to his insight on fighting for hours, but he lacks some entry level scientific knowledge and understanding and makes some skin-crawling arguments there. Rogan is similar but less fascinating in his martial arts knowledge and much more entertaining. I usually find myself struggling to listen to his entire podcast because of the amount of bullshit involved. I'm sure a volley of debunking videos is already hitting the internet in response but it is nevertheless frankly embarrassing to see such an intelligent man saying such things. It's like a less insane version of Eddie Bravo.

Here is the offending segment.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Malfeasinator » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:I watched the "philosophy of science" segment of Joe Rogan's podcast with Frias Zahabi after being told it was awful. That description was very much on the money. Firas is a wizard when it comes to grappling and mma, I could listen to his insight on fighting for hours, but he lacks some entry level scientific knowledge and understanding and makes some skin-crawling arguments there. Rogan is similar but less fascinating in his martial arts knowledge and much more entertaining. I usually find myself struggling to listen to his entire podcast because of the amount of bullshit involved. I'm sure a volley of debunking videos is already hitting the internet in response but it is nevertheless frankly embarrassing to see such an intelligent man saying such things. It's like a less insane version of Eddie Bravo.

Here is the offending segment.

Who'd have thought that people who take hard hits to the head on a regular basis (for a living) might not exactly be the great thinkers of our time...

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 pm

It's just another example of an intelligent person gabbing about something they don't know shit about. We're all guilty of it to some extent, but there's a lack of self awareness with these two that is just maddening from the outside. You would hope that their careers in such a bullshit proof field as fighting would teach them the importance of actually knowing what the fuck you're talking about.
Firas is especially frustrating because he is truly brilliant when it comes to fitness and martial arts and especially the psychology of training and fighting. He really should know better. He should also have the basic knowledge of science he seems to lack.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 pm

I have no idea if your fighter guy is as smart as you think he is, but the phenomenon of smart people spouting off on subjects they know nothing about is an annoying one, and this SMBC comic addresses it nicely.

Votey for avi

Physicists in particular are really prone to this, but engineers seem to be nearly as bad in my observations and lawyers are worse. And of course other fields do it too, like that Nobel-Prize-winning geneticist who decided we need to bring back eugenics and "scientific" racism.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:It's just another example of an intelligent person gabbing about something they don't know shit about. We're all guilty of it to some extent, but there's a lack of self awareness with these two that is just maddening from the outside. You would hope that their careers in such a bullshit proof field as fighting would teach them the importance of actually knowing what the fuck you're talking about.
Firas is especially frustrating because he is truly brilliant when it comes to fitness and martial arts and especially the psychology of training and fighting. He really should know better. He should also have the basic knowledge of science he seems to lack.

It's really not even about that the fact that he's ignorant, but that he says such stupid stuff with total confidence. I get that.

But I feel like I have to point this out - the guy min/max'd and specialized in Fighter skills and didn't have any points left over. Plus, there's the brain damage factor. He'll probably murder his family in a fit of rage and then kill himself when he turns 40 and everyone will act like it's a huge mystery and like we don't have all this data by now that tells us "hits to the head = bad."

Either that, or he'll get dementia by 50 and run for President as the Republican candidate running on a platform of exposing the Lizard People Aliens, and he'll win.

In his world, he can believe whatever he wants, and if anyone tries to tell him he's wrong, he can just beat them up.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

PreviousNext