Jug Wine 4 Lyfe #noregerts

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Re: The rant thread.

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Absentia wrote:I was ready for the part where you open the thing up and realize it tastes like shit. All you need is a fine strainer and a new stopper.

May I ask what brand of whisky this is? I work in the liquor business but I don't like Scotch, so I'm always looking for tidbits of information I can use to pretend that I know what I'm talking about.

It does taste a little bit like shit, to be fair. It has an alcohol strength of 51.6% ABV (103 proof), which is frankly overpowering. I just didn't want to admit that.

Officially, it's Cadenhead's whisky, but they are a third-party independent bottler who buy barrels from other distilleries rather than making it themselves, so that might not count. The distillery is Glenturret, which is a legitimate and recognised place, however.

Piter Lauchy wrote:Pedgerow, do you have a blog or something? Between this and that godawful joke the other day I get the impression that I really like your writing style. Please write more for my enjoyment. Write, knave!

Thank you! I never, ever update my blog, and I frequently struggle to even find it. I'd love to write more lengthy adventurous epics, but very little ever happens to me. I struggle to even find it, but if you'd like to see some parody song lyrics I wrote in 2011, and only if you'd like to see that, then I have some good news for you. Fun fact: you will be that blog's only reader aside from me and a friend from school I also sent the link to who visited once about eight years ago. Wordpress shows you this information, to hurt your feelings.

Anyway, another update: I bought a sieve today. I looked everywhere for coffee filters and couldn't find any because I work somewhere where everyone, I presume, drinks instant coffee, so hopefully the sieve will save me. A work colleague helpfully suggested I use "a very clean sock." It's like the universe has a vendetta against me drinking this stuff. No wonder it's managed to survive 31 years so far. It will probably outlast us all, and cockroaches will sip it beside the smouldering wreckage of major cities after the nuclear apocalypse. Then a giant mutant scorpion will come along and break all their drinking glasses in a Twilight Zone-style plot twist, and move the bottle slightly out of their reach, and the whiskey will go unconsumed until the heat death of the universe.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby Piter Lauchy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:24 am

[I swear this is my last off-topic post for the moment.]

Thank you for the link! I've read some of the entries and have concluded that you are, in fact, a good writer. Your style reminds me of Cracked back when it was, you know, good.
Two questions, though:

1. Are you still into anime or was it indeed just a phase?
2. Any new genres besides dubstep that the 2010s had to offer thus far?

As for not having anything to write about: You were able to turn "Opened a celebratory whiskey and the cork broke" into an entertaining read, so to reiterate my original request: Write, knave!

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:35 am

I just banged my head (and apparently scraped part of it) on the bottom of a shelf in my living room when I was moving some boxes of stuff around. Judging by the lack of particularly bad symptoms so far, I'm guessing it technically wasn't too hard of a hit, but damn, it hurts.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:26 am

Piter Lauchy wrote:1. Are you still into anime or was it indeed just a phase?
2. Any new genres besides dubstep that the 2010s had to offer thus far?

1) The CCNA training towered over me and chased me away from pretty much any hobby, by making me feel ashamed that I wasn't learning about subnetting or some crap instead. So I've been slightly removed from the anime world since then. I suspect it might have been a phase because my favourite core anime tastes were always the "little girls go to school and nothing at all happens and in the end they all learn a valuable lesson about friendship" genre, and after a while those ones started to feel like they were designed by committee, like they knew that's what I wanted so they gave me that and nothing more, and it all felt soulless and exploitative instead of heartwarming. I have a bunch of anime series I still haven't reviewed yet (Welcome to the NHK is good; Yuyushiki isn't, really), plus there are a load still on my list to watch (such as Kaiji and Usagi Drop, plus I've never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion or Serial Experiments Lain so I'm betraying my own cultural identity from three years ago and am clearly not a real weeaboo). I fully intend to return to anime at some point, but I don't feel the passion I used to.

2)Yes! But they might have been ironic, and created as a joke. I am referring to Simpsonwave and vapourwave and all those micro-genres around that whole meme. Here are some recommendations to get you into the culture if you haven't investigated it before.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:04 pm

If Tubeway Army's "Are Friends Electric" so ultra very rare then why does it keep appearing in my "Up Next" spot on Youtube? It's infuriating for someone with such broad tastes as mine.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:09 pm

george19 wrote:Hey,

I have a query like Does the entire house needs to be treated or can they just treat areas where I see termites?
please suggest me something I am a newbie to this forum.

Thank you in advance.

Hey George, I've dealt with this myself.

Normally they only treat the bottom floor/basement/where the termites have set up shop.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:18 pm

You should tent the entire house in a circus tent and then charge people to enter. That's what you need to know George. How to make money out of this entire termite situation.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:42 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:You should tent the entire house in a circus tent and then charge people to enter. That's what you need to know George. How to make money out of this entire termite situation.

Call it a flea circus, charge them extra as these are professional fleas trained in le Louve. Doesn't matter that they are termites, what schmuck would be able to tell those two things apart anyway?

One that needs to be in the area that's more densely fumigated, that's who.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:19 am

Fuck "The Great British Baking Show."

It's a boring old lady show for boring old ladies.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Malfeasinator wrote:Fuck "The Great British Baking Show."

It's a boring old lady show for boring old ladies.

You take that back, mister! Paul Hollywood is a treasure. A treasure, I tell you!

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 am

I stayed in an AirBNB recently during a trip to NYC. The trip was mostly good. I saw Avi IRL which I should have posted about in the meetups thread already but didn't. The reason I'm posting here is the host of my BNB.

The place was inexpensive, about $120 per night. I was splitting the cost with my friend so it was really only $60 per night which is good for a place in Manhattan. It was in Harlem and not the gentrified part, and the place was tiny, but me and my friend both got separate rooms with nice beds and free breakfast. I would have no complaints about my experience at all if the host was not the most militant vegan I've ever met.

This is partly my fault for not reading the reviews more carefully. She has reviews complaining about all the behavior I have a problem with, but most of her reviews are positive. During the orientation I noticed her shirt saying we can't eat fish because they have feelings so I asked if she's vegan. She said yes and I told her I'm vegetarian, and she insisted I call myself meatless which really annoyed me because 1) I don't identify myself as meatless 2) I don't understand why the word vegetarian isn't politically correct enough for her. Somehow this lead to her asking me if it was okay to talk about her beliefs, and I said sure and I meant it, but then it was like she was trying to shame me for being vegetarian. She started talking about how when you buy eggs this results in male chicks being sent into a contraption that kills them while blood spurts out of them, and about how they "rape" cows to produce milk. My friend's grandfather happened to be a dairy farmer so he didn't agree with this version of events. Or agree with her on a lot of things. They got into a lot of arguments that lead to her saying increasingly absurd things, I couldn't tell if she was trying to be deliberately offensive or convert us. Like, my friend asked her what she thinks an ideal society is and she started talking about China and defending the actions of Mao. She told him to read a book written by Stalin. As strange as her genuine opinions were, what disturbed me more was her arrogant attitude. Any time my friend disagreed with her on anything she told him he didn't watch the news and didn't read. She said this because he revealed he had dyslexia, and he certainly gave her no reason to think he doesn't read or pay attention to the news. Our host is a former teacher and she claims her son works with disabled children. I wonder if she treated her dyslexic students the same way.

There were problems other than her veganism also. Her doorknob could only be turned in one direction. When I accidentally turned it in the other direction she told me if I did that it would break and we would be trapped in here for hours. One of her rules is to spread the shower curtain wide when we are done with our shower, which is a perfectly sensible rule, but she said her niece would die if exposed to mold. I think this is a lie. Other parts of her bathroom have mold on them, like many bathrooms do. Half of her light switches were off limits and she would insist on shutting off the lights the instant you leave a room. The place is advertised as having wifi but she keeps the wifi off unless you ask to have it on because she doesn't want the wifi to get into her brain. One of her policies is to not bring in any outside food, which is fine, but she said the policy exists because she's a "compulsive eater" which is probably another lie. She's in extremely good shape. Of course she also had several opinions on veganism which were highly false, like claiming the average vegan lives to age 125. She told me she lost 100 pounds by going vegan but couldn't show me any photos of herself before losing that weight. It really bothers me to think she would lie about that just to get me to convert to her stupid diet.

On the last day she asked me for feedback and I told her I think it's jarring to arrive on the first day and immediately get lectured about how I'm responsible for raping and murdering cows. At the time I was thinking I should tell her my problems in person and still leave a positive review, because most of the time she managed to put up the appearance of being nice and accommodating. However her response was to ask me if she shouldn't have mentioned that stuff at all or should have waited until the second day. I didn't know how to answer that, there's no real formula for it, the point is she wasn't very respectful. She also wanted us to take propaganda from PETA with us, or "literature" as she called it. It's like the entire point of her business is to convert people to her extremely narrow worldview. She believes the only way to end violence is to stop eating meat and if you disagree with that even slightly you are complicit in violence. She thinks even wool is exploitative of animals because their bodies are being used for profit and doesn't understand that domestic sheep would die in the wild.

So I'm trying to write an AirBNB review now. I don't know how to write a review that is honest but still makes me look "reasonable." I know she already wrote a review of me but I can't see it until I write a review. I feel she may have written a negative one because I didn't always turn off the light switch and because I forgot my luggage and left it in her room for over an hour longer than I said I would.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Grimstone » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:33 am

"has wifi but keeps it turned off so it doesn't get into her brain"

That's all the review you need, I think.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Tesseracts wrote:So I'm trying to write an AirBNB review now. I don't know how to write a review that is honest but still makes me look "reasonable."

Just copy and paste what you've written here. It sounds reasonable enough. Maybe redact the actual opinions so future guests don't get any spoilers about what to expect, but otherwise, it's a great review.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:24 am

Tess' story makes me think about how a chain hotel would have been preferable in that situation but then I pause when my thoughts come to the part where staying at The Red Roof Inn of Harlem would probably not be preferable after all.

And yet again I'm posting here to say that I have a problem with people who are not able to physically move themselves being allowed to drive motor vehicles on the road.

Today I watched an employee of the Chinese restaurant that's next to my store physically pick up an elderly woman by her hips and hoist her into the driver seat of a late model full size Chevy pick up truck. Then pick up her right leg and slide it in, followed by the left, and then shut the door for her. Just speaking out again into the TCS darkness about how I feel like if you're not able to get in and out of your vehicle then you shouldn't be allowed to operate it. We need self driving vehicles for the elderly, disabled, and temporarily injured.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext