The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Firas doesn't fight himself these days. He used to compete a bit years ago but for the last fifteen years at least he has been a trainer and cornerman of martial artists. Other than damage from the gym I don't think he's been hit that much in the head.
The thing with training in competitive martial arts is that your false bravado gets mercilessly picked apart and crushed to dust. Rogan's podcast occasionally has segments mocking fake martial artists, rightly ridiculing their obvious lack of real knowledge, perspective, or experience. It's astounding that he can't see that when he rambles potheadedly about some subject he googles sometimes he becomes that guy demonstrating how to catch a punch out of midair or kick a knife out of someone's hand. To anyone who understands the subject better, which is a low, low bar, he looks ridiculous.
It's annoying because I feel I've learned a lot from Firas and here he is making an idiot out of himself in front of a massive audience. If I ever try to talk about some of the great things he teaches, people may well just think of the guy who Dunning Krugered the living shit out of primary school level science that one time on JRE.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:14 pm

Firas needs to stay in his lane. I saw he was on the Rogan podcast and knew he couldn't talk that long without looking incredibly stupid at some point. I figured it would be him shit talking a good fighter that one of his guys has to fight soon or has lately but good grief.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:20 pm

It's just like Eddie Bravo. The man's achievements and innovations are spectacular but get him high enough and put him on the air and suddenly he's Alex goddamn Jones.

Spoiler: show

Not that one.

I'll talk to someone about Eddie's JJ and it can be genuinely hard to get them to take him seriously because to them he's just that crazy pseudo-intellectual flat earth guy from the memes. You're making me look bad, Eddie!

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:29 am

I'd like to rant about something but can't top Anglerphobe's rant. Damn you Anglerphobe! Damn you!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Got up to year 225 with the Anglo-Saxons in CiV V only for it to crash. That's like, 4000 years wasted because I forgot to save.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:20 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Got up to year 225 with the Anglo-Saxons in CiV V only for it to crash. That's like, 4000 years wasted because I forgot to save.

You know you can set the Civ games to auto-save, right?

I set it to autosave every turn and keep the latest ten games. Also, I think by default in Civ IV it saves every five turns and saves keeps five savegames, so you should still have a game saved if Civ V does the same.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:42 pm

So somehow, and I still have no fucking idea how I managed this, I managed to book my flight back to New England to fly out of and return to Grand Rapids, Michigan (GRR) instead of Austin, where I live (AUS). And despite what Ridley speculated, I don't do drugs or drink and was therefore stone-cold sober. How did I manage to confuse two airports on opposite sides of the country with not one letter in common? It's a mystery for the ages. Fortunately, I managed to catch it before the day before I flew, and because I'm flying Southwest it only took me the difference in airfares (under $200) to fix, but I was momentarily terrified.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:57 pm

Civ V autosaves every ten turns by default. A feature I have definitely never taken advantage of when a war suddenly goes south.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:22 pm

Absentia wrote:Civ V autosaves every ten turns by default. A feature I have definitely never taken advantage of when a war suddenly goes south.

Oh, wait, Civ V is what I have too! *facepalms*
I suppose this shows how often I play it. According to Steam, I have barely 100 hours.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Takes away Sellars gamer card. "You can get it back when you play more games!"

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:32 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Takes away Sellars gamer card. "You can get it back when you play more games!"

I have literally never identified as a gamer.

That said..
Give me back my library card thou vile miscreant!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:30 am

I’ve had a minor but persistent cough for the past week or so. Thinking it might be allergies, I took some medication a few hours ago that was supposed to make me drowsy. I’m still very much awake, at 3:30 AM.

EDIT (almost twelve hours later): I didn’t get that job I interviewed for last Friday, either.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:13 am

I'm flying Southwest and forgot to check in 24 hours before my flight tomorrow. I got low C's for both legs, so there's a reasonable chance that I still get a window seat in the far, far back, but still, this is the second fuck up I've made this trip. It's like this trip is cursed or something.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:17 am

Yep, this trip is cursed. My flight out of Austin was delayed two hours for a ninety minute layover, and my flight to Hartford was the last of the night. I had three options: go back home and fly out at five-thirty AM, stay in Chicago overnight but Southwest won't pay for a hotel, or fly into Boston.

That last option would have been my preference, but my father isn't willing to drive the extra fifteen minutes. (I suspect it may be more about driving in Boston rather than the time.) I tried calling hotels at the Midway Airport for prices and after a few wrong numbers and answering machines I bit the bullet and chose option, the worst fucking option of all.

I have a bunch of peaches I got that aren't ripe so I'm bringing them with me, and they now make you take out fucking food, so tomorrow is going to be fun. Happy Fourth to me!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:25 am

I'm rather sorry to hear that sellers and I do think your father is being a bit unreasonable. Driving into cities isn't ideal, but it's better then the other options presented unto you.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

PreviousNext