The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:31 am

So Boxer Lady realized she was too good for you and made off with your dogs?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 pm

cmsellers wrote:So Boxer Lady realized she was too good for you and made off with your dogs?

We'll see cmsellers, we will see...

EDIT: And yes she basically did... So cmsellers joke turned out to be practically real. One of the reasons I never upvote him, he's a seer.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Absentia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:24 pm

Absentia wrote:I was just thinking a couple of weeks ago how nice it is that my youngest cousins are all in high school and I don't have to deal with kids at every family gathering, because for whatever reason I just don't like kids. If I have to spend time with somebody under the age of 16 I start looking for the fastest exit. Don't know what to say to them, don't know how I'm supposed to act, just generally don't enjoy their company at all.

Tonight my sister told me she's pregnant. And I see her a hell of a lot more often than Thanksgiving and Christmas. I want to be happy for her but I couldn't even fake it. Ugh.

And today she lost the pregnancy and I feel fucking terrible about the whole situation.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:14 am

DoglovingJim wrote:
cmsellers wrote:So Boxer Lady realized she was too good for you and made off with your dogs?

EDIT: And yes she basically did... So cmsellers joke turned out to be practically real. One of the reasons I never upvote him, he's a seer.

I'm sorry to hear that Jim, that's rough.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 am

DoglovingJim wrote:EDIT: And yes she basically did... So cmsellers joke turned out to be practically real. One of the reasons I never upvote him, he's a seer.

Shit, that sucks, Jim. I'm sorry.
Things seemed to be going so well with you two too.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:44 am

I'm so sorry to hear that Jim =( she is no Lady, that's for sure {{{Jim}}}

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:

I'm sorry, Jim. I hope things work out. =(

Absentia wrote:And today she lost the pregnancy and I feel fucking terrible about the whole situation.

That sucks, but don't take it too personally. Somewhere between 10-25% of (known) pregnancies end in miscarriage. The actual number is probably higher due to people not even knowing they are pregnant.

Obviously, I wouldn't recommend quoting the statistics to your sister to make her feel better, but just remember that nothing you did or thought about the situation changed anything.

How far along was she? It sucks at any stage of the pregnancy, but the sooner it happens the less bad it tends to be.

Being in that situation previously with both a miscarriage at about 9 weeks and a stillbirth at 30 weeks, I know that one of the best things you can do is to just help out without asking what they need. Tell them you're coming over with food, show up to help clean the house, or just do something nice.

When something like that happens, a lot of people will bombard you with questions about how they can help, which is nice, but having to respond and coordinate can be more trouble than it's worth. Don't ask, just tell them you're doing something for them or just show up and start helping.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Absentia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:04 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:How far along was she? It sucks at any stage of the pregnancy, but the sooner it happens the less bad it tends to be.

9 or 10 weeks. So yeah, not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Being in that situation previously with both a miscarriage at about 9 weeks and a stillbirth at 30 weeks, I know that one of the best things you can do is to just help out without asking what they need. Tell them you're coming over with food, show up to help clean the house, or just do something nice.

I'm actually staying with them right now while I wait for an apartment. I'd like to bring dinner home but they're vegetarians and my sister is... picky.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:40 am

My left ear has been ringing almost continually for nearly a week now. I’m getting concerned.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby JamishT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 am

Well then answer it!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 am

Ladki96 wrote:I'm so sorry to hear that Jim =( she is no Lady, that's for sure {{{Jim}}}

Nah, she will always be a lady but just not my lady... I might be in a bad place right now (actually had a little car accident too since my brain is so scatterbrain, but I'm sure that was just a screw up and unrelated) but I will never be able to defame her.

It's just this reason in which I love dogs, they wouldn't leave me. I'm going to be cuddling my dogs a lot now.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:48 am

All the tax expert advice I've gleaned from reading websites is bogus in the way it applies to our situation. Oh yeah buy a house and you get alllllll the interest and taxes back. If. If your interest and taxes is greater than the standard deduction of $12,800. Which for us it is not. But hey my paycheck was bigger by 8 whole dollars this week so there's positive tax news. Right? The gubmint bought this week's shitpaper. And again next week and on and on until time ends...

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby emm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:44 am

Sure thing, book your fire performers on short notice, insisting they can't use their regular Playlist and don't tell them they'll be performing on a frozen bloody lake. To quote a friend, Jesus frigggin' Godzilla Christ on a power drill! I'm glad I'm firmly in camp "not overly tall or stocky person", so I was the only one to not end up with their feet in the water at some point.

I mean, we are planning a slapstick show, planning being the operative word here.

At least, that guy usually pays fairly quickly and well enough...

Of course I am an angel, the horns are just to keep the halo straight.
emm
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:06 am

So I had a pretty bad day today. I had to drive to San Antonio for a dentist's appointment (why I had to go to San Antonio is a story I don't want to get into right now), which is an hour and a half away. But I've driven to the San Antonio Zoo twice before, the drive isn't normally that bad. However it started to rain, and rain instantly turns all traffic in Central Texas into stop-and-go traffic. Fortunately, I was almost there when it happened and made it on time. But then...
  1. My dentist's appointment proved to be quite unpleasant. They're fitting me for a crown and because it's the dental school they did much more stuff to fit it than a typical dentist would do. Which is a bargain I suppose, except that a lot of this stuff was various degrees of painful. The worst part was the large number of "before" pictures they took with medieval torture devices to part my lips.
  2. I learned that the dental hygenist's boyfriend has an amazon he smuggled back in from Mexico which he keeps in his garage and ignores because it's "mean." He put a captive-bred bird in with this amazon and it killed it, which is clearly because of the way he treats it. And this poor bird itself is probably going to die in that garage.
  3. I'd planned on going to the San Antonio Zoo afterwards, but the appointment took until 3:45. Most zoos have a policy of last admission an hour before closing, and I realized that with the rain fucking up traffic I wasn't going to make it there by four, so I turned around and went home.
  4. Which meant I got to enjoy rush hour in both San Antonio and Austin. What a bargain! At least the rain had mostly stopped.
  5. The shitty signage around San Antonio meant that I was twice in a lane of almost stopped traffic when it turned out that the lane to the right went to the same place. They probably added no more than ten minutes between them, but my mood was not improved.
  6. My brakes seem like they might be wearing out, and I had two near-accidents where I slammed them so hard I hurt my foot to make them work.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:42 am

iMURDAu wrote:All the tax expert advice I've gleaned from reading websites is bogus in the way it applies to our situation. Oh yeah buy a house and you get alllllll the interest and taxes back. If. If your interest and taxes is greater than the standard deduction of $12,800. Which for us it is not.

I don't want to be preachy, but I would strongly advise anybody who wants to take tax advice from the internet (or TV, or anything else that isn't from an expert who is aware of your personal situation) to double check with somebody who knows what they're doing first. That shit is complicated.

On the bright side, you're not paying any more in taxes than you would have been and now you're building equity.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext