Let's lose weight together!

Discussion, in general

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby octoberpumpkin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Thank you Jim, that is very kind and it means a lot. Speaking of which, I screwed up again yesterday and my biggest pair of jeans are tight and I just feel like crap.

But I cant give up. Everyone has off weeks, its okay. Just gotta keep trying

Anyways here is what my potatish self looks like now

Spoiler: show
Image


Lets hope I make some progress and can share a less potatish image soon
  • 5

User avatar
octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 pm
Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Pumpkin you will NOT have loose skin. You are young and only slightly overweight.
  • 8

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9531
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Maize » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm down about 8lbs, since last month. I know that's not a lot, but I'm pretty much taking small steps so I don't get stressed out. For instance, I'm cooking most of my food and being more careful with how much candy/sweets I have. To keep from feeling hungry I try to cook things with decent protein, which means I tend to eat a lot of eggs or chicken. If I have fast food, I'm keeping it to once a week. I also have those flavor packets I add to water, and I'm drinking at least 72oz a day. I haven't been counting calories, but I do see some positive changes.
  • 6

User avatar
Maize
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:27 am
Show rep

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby sunglasses » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Every step forward no matter how small is a huge step sometimes.
  • 4

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
User avatar
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 11404
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:53 pm

octoberpumpkin wrote:But I cant give up. Everyone has off weeks, its okay. Just gotta keep trying

You could never imagine the amount of respect I have for you Pumpkin, I'm proud of you.

Maize wrote:I'm down about 8lbs, since last month. I know that's not a lot, but I'm pretty much taking small steps so I don't get stressed out. For instance, I'm cooking most of my food and being more careful with how much candy/sweets I have. To keep from feeling hungry I try to cook things with decent protein, which means I tend to eat a lot of eggs or chicken. If I have fast food, I'm keeping it to once a week. I also have those flavor packets I add to water, and I'm drinking at least 72oz a day. I haven't been counting calories, but I do see some positive changes.

Good job Maize, it might not be "a lot" but it's something. You got something that is working and it will continue working, congratulations.
  • 6

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Tuli » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:21 pm

So my main gym goal right now is to be able to do unassisted pull-ups. I've been working on my pull-ups since I started training in the gym in early spring, using rubber bands to help me. And now I can finally do 4-5 sets of 5-6 reps using only the medium resistance band, meaning I do not need the heavy resistance band any longer. Progress! And it's really surprising right now because my summer training regiment hasn't been exactly... consistent. Sometimes I went only once a week :lol: But maybe the extended periods of rest were somehow a benefit. I can start implementing even lighter resistance in my first sets.

My weight is the same but I've gained a lot of muscle and strength in the upper body area especially. It's pretty badass. Also posture is generally better. For the last few months I've been really lazy about ab exercises, since I don't like doing them in the gym. So finally I decided to also do some Blogilates ab videos at home on the days I go jogging in the park. And the effect was immediate! I don't mean I gained a sixpack overnight but it feels like my waist is a lot tighter already all because my guts no longer have free reign to just loosely hang all over the place. The abs must keep them in line! It was a real difference surprisingly fast.

I'm also thinking of taking some dance classes in autumn, because music is great. So I'm considering maybe belly dance (yay more core strength without having to do abs in the gym!) but also wondering if I'm not biting off more than I can chew here, time-wise. Also my coordination is just terrible. Terrible!
  • 5

User avatar
Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 pm
Location: Estonia
Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Lindvaettr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Tuli wrote: But maybe the extended periods of rest were somehow a benefit.


First off, great progress! Pull-ups are a huge area of weakness for a lot of otherwise very fit people. You need a lot of back (and to a lesser extent, bicep) strength to do them. Sounds like you're well on the way!

The idea that you have to go to hit a muscle group multiple times per week isn't terribly true. A lot of very muscular people only do each muscle groups ~1/week. Doing a muscle group more than twice a week can actually hold you back, as it takes several days to fully recover. There's probably a golden are around once every 5 days or so, but if you're on a weekly schedule, doing it on Mondays or whatever won't mess things up.

The trick here is to make sure you get a really good workout on that day. Make sure you're not just going until you finish your reps. Consider alternating a set of pull-ups with something like dumbbell or barbell rows or some kind of cable pull-down, and try to go to failure (when you can't complete the movement anymore. I usually call it failure if I can't get 1/3 or so of the way through or so). You really want to wipe your back out.

On the same topic, if you're not already, it would be wise to add in a lower back exercise like good mornings or hyperextensions. They won't help you do more pull-ups, but since pull-ups target the upper back, you'll want to balance out the lower. As will all back exercises, be careful to keep your back straight when you're doing them, so you don't hurt it.

One last bit here, since I've just emphasized the benefits of each muscle group once a week: Since your back, abs, and calves are so central to pretty much everything we do in life, they conveniently seem to recover more quickly than other muscle groups. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to do them more often than the other groups, but you don't need to worry as much about overtraining your back, core, or calves as much as you do other groups.
  • 6

User avatar
Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Various, depending on time and day
Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby reallifegirl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 pm

The gym near my apartment has been shut down for four days for renovations. So I haven't really gotten any exercise (I could, conceivably, go running, but then non-gym people might see me) and I feel gross. Bleh.

On the other hand I think I've successfully dropped 5-6 pounds since July, so that makes me happy.
  • 3

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
User avatar
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:21 pm
Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby sunglasses » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:12 pm

I'm still trying and falling to get back in the swing of things. I just have noooo motivation and I'm still terrified that I'll start exercising and throw my back out again. Fear is the mind killer alright.

But, I saw that the "volumetrics" diet is rated one of the best for both short term and long term weightloss and well as health.

Of course my husband saw this and sighed and said "Are you going to add spinach to everything again?" I re-assured him I'm not.

I am going to re-integrate more veg and less calorie dense food into my diet as the book suggests. It was rather cheap on kindle, so I'm pleased. has a step by step week by week process to help ease people back into things.

Nothing is crazy or faddy about it, just suggests eating more nutrient dense and less calorie dense food per meal.
  • 5

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
User avatar
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 11404
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 pm

I've walked almost 7300 steps so far today. Mostly because I had to do a grid search covering over a third of the mall parking lot just a little while ago because I couldn't remember where I parked, but they still count, dammit.

There's a scene from a '90s cartoon that I think is really relevant, but it's even harder to find than my car was...
  • 4

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
User avatar
jbobsully11
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm
Location: not the outskirts of nowhere anymore, NJ, USA
Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:07 am

jbobsully11 wrote:I've walked almost 7300 steps so far today. Mostly because I had to do a grid search covering over a third of the mall parking lot just a little while ago because I couldn't remember where I parked, but they still count, dammit.

There's a scene from a '90s cartoon that I think is really relevant, but it's even harder to find than my car was...


Just adding this here because that's the first thing I thought of.
  • 3

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Grimstone » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:32 am

sunglasses wrote:I'm still trying and falling to get back in the swing of things. I just have noooo motivation and I'm still terrified that I'll start exercising and throw my back out again. Fear is the mind killer alright.

But, I saw that the "volumetrics" diet is rated one of the best for both short term and long term weightloss and well as health.

Of course my husband saw this and sighed and said "Are you going to add spinach to everything again?" I re-assured him I'm not.

I am going to re-integrate more veg and less calorie dense food into my diet as the book suggests. It was rather cheap on kindle, so I'm pleased. has a step by step week by week process to help ease people back into things.

Nothing is crazy or faddy about it, just suggests eating more nutrient dense and less calorie dense food per meal.


"volumetrics diet" sounds very cringy to me. Like, even if it's just common sense advice about eating nutrient rich foods(or whatever) it sounds like something mostly designed/made up to sell diet plans n junk.
  • 3

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
User avatar
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 2117
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:52 am
Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby sunglasses » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I know how the title sounds. The original book was written in the late 90s I think! So that's really not the worst title from that time period lol

There are no associated diet plans or meal supplements sold for this. Or any special equipment or fancy foods. There are some recipes in the back and a weekly meal plan of you aren't comfortable coming up with your own. Or special trackers or apps.

Lots of pics about how different 400 calories can look!
  • 4

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
User avatar
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 11404
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 am

I have been thinking more about weight loss recently, despite never really having concerned myself with it before. I currently weigh something like 105-110 kilograms (230-240 pounds) fairly lean. That's fucking big. The thing is that for now, while I'm a young physically fit healthy man, it's not an issue to be carrying ~30% more of myself around than an average person, but it's going to become an issue eventually. My older male relatives, most of whom share my above average BMI, are a multi-generational shitstorm of knackered joints, bad backs, and breathing problems. Granted, many of them are unhealthy for reasons other than their size per se, but the scarcity of exceptions is fairly stark. It's frightening to think of.
I realised that it is certainly in my interest to try to slim down as I age. If I don't swim against the tide, the trend of men who share half my blood suggests that my 30% extra mass is going to be looking more like 50% or more a quarter of a century from now, and that it will be unpleasant. Middle age is noticeably harder on bigger people in general. As I'm sure to get older and likely to get bigger, I'm suddenly pretty worried by this. This is really more of a ramble than anything. Thoughts put into writing without a real objective. I may be worrying too much, too little, or just the right amount. One of the three.
  • 6

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

"Believe in your fucking self."
-Justin Gaethje
User avatar
Anglerphobe
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:03 pm
Location: Candy Apple Island
Show rep
Title: Ape, but not so big

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:48 am

It makes sense to be concerned. It’s very easy to gain weight unconsciously. If you can’t lose weight, it would make a huge difference if you just put in the effort not to gain any. Personally I ignored my weight for a long time until I got huge and got a ton of problems including metabolic syndrome.
  • 5

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9531
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests