Let's lose weight together!

Discussion, in general

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Anglerphobe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:02 am

Followup: My BMI officially went over 30 for the first time ever. It's probably been flirting with that number for a while, but this is the first confirmation. Still not too concerned for the short term but I fear for my cartilage and intervertebral discs down the line.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Tuli » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 pm

So I decided to try out this online meal plan thing after seeing the results on a friend of mine. It's an Estonian site but it's also been translated into English, so you can poke around if interested: https://www.erikorgu.ee/index-en. The first week is free (you don't need to give out your bank info or anything to get this!) which is how they get you... because it really worked, and after the free week, I decided to pay for the 2 month subscription since I don't have a lot to lose. And it's not expensive at all in comparison to a traditional nutrition plan, but A LOT more convenient for the novice. Basically it calculates your nutritional needs according to your BMI and activity level and makes a meal plan according to that. Recipes and instructions are all included, you can make automatic shopping lists, you can swap out recipes or some ingredients you don't like. I usually swap out recipes so I am eating the same lunch and dinner for 2 or 3 days in a row, because cooking multiple meals every day would take too much time.

So after my weight being stagnant for so long, I've lost about 2kg in a few weeks now. Pretty good, considering I'm not super strict and still drink my two coffees a day with milk and a teaspoon of sugar, which has not been calculated into the meal plan. I guess my problem was always not having enough vegetables in my diet (even though I do like them), and doing this is helping me learn what the right proportions should look like. I'd say the portions are pretty big, probably cause I work out 4 days a week currently (well not at this exact moment, because I've got a cough for a fucking week already, but in general). So a breakfast omelette for me can be four eggs + veggies for example, which is a lot more than the two weak toasts I used to eat for breakfast before.

This whole post sounds like an advertisement, sorry folks. :lol: But this thing has been really convenient. And I'd say the biggest benefit and the main reason I bought it is having access to all these new recipes, with the exact right portion sizes for me. Because trying out new recipes while using myfitnesspal was a real fucking pain when I had to enter in everything manually...

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Swimming?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Qinglong » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm

FaceTheCitizen wrote:I have a question. What's a good cardio exercise to help lose weight that doesn't involve too much- or any- running or jumping?

You might consider a recumbent exercise bike. I use one an hour a day while reading. Higher-end models have programmable levels that can vary the resistance to simulate hills or adapt to your heart rate. I'm not interested in that, so I just have a cheaper one where the resistance is set manually.

Man created logic and because of that was superior to it. Logic He gave unto me, but no more. The tool does not describe the designer. More than this I do not choose to say. More than this you have no need to know.
Qinglong
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Experienced Bystander

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:29 pm

I'm starting a keto diet tomorrow. Basically that means low carb and high protein. As a vegetarian it will be hard but I can do it for at least a week. My friend is doing it with me and I think my parents and sister might try it also.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:32 am

I’ve definitely been gaining weight lately. Luckily (?), I’m also going to be moving into the basement soon, which means I’ve been finishing all the projects my sister and BIL didn’t bother to do (surprisingly many, given how long they lived down there). So that’s what I’ve been doing for the past week or so. With few power tools, because it turns out that most of the ones that were here all belonged to other people and I’m too broke to buy new ones.

So anyway, I’ve been walking >5,000 steps for each of the last few days, in addition to sawing some surprisingly stubborn trim for around the doorways and windows.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby CarrieVS » Tue May 15, 2018 9:43 pm

I've been gaining weight on and off for the last six years or so. Always telling myself that I just need to get my act together and eat a bit better to stop gaining any more, and then slipping back into old ways. Used to be a size 8 to 10 (UK sizes) and wasn't too bothered to become a size 10 to 12, but by now I'm a size 12 to "I'm not buying it if it fits me in a 14" and threatening to go up a bra size too, and can no longer pretend I don't have a slight double chin.

I weighed myself at the weekend for the first time in many months and learned I was a stone heavier than I'd been counting on, and slightly overweight by BMI (I'm not muscular so BMI is probably fairly accurate for me) instead of towards the top of the officially healthy range. So. Time to get serious.

I wasn't keen on cutting out carbs for a couple of reasons, so I'm going for good old fashioned calorie counting, otherwise known as "you really can eat anything you want, but if you eat more than a tiny bit of junk you'll end up hungry." Although I'm estimating the amounts and calories pretty roughly.

Based on extensive research of filling my vital statistics into a couple of different websites, I should be eating 1500-1700 calories a day. I've cut out snacking an started paying attention to the calorie amounts and recommended portion sizes on packaging, and am somewhat shocked at what I used to eat - and frankly surprised I'm only half a stone overweight.

I'm finding that without snacks and eating more or less the same things I always did (on a day when I cook a proper meal instead of bingeing on junk and convenience food) but sticking to portion sizes, I can easily eat enough to not be hungry without even reaching 1500 calories.

I really want to learn portion control and get used to only eating at mealtimes, so that I won't slip back into bad habits and put the weight back on, and I definitely don't want to make myself eat after I'm full, but I'm kinda concerned I'm going to lose weight faster than is good for me. I've been weighing myself every morning, and was nearly 2lb lighter this morning than the same time of day on Saturday - and I wasn't counting but thought I'd have gone way over on Saturday because I was at my parents' and my mum was feeding me.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 pm

So starting about a month ago I've been trying to change my habits. Hopefully I'll lose weight as well, but I don't weigh myself, so I won't know until my clothes stop fitting, and at 3XL and 56", that will be awhile.

First phase, I changed several things:
  1. Try to mindlessly eat healthier foods (mostly bran flakes) instead of crap.
  2. Try to increase my fiber intake as much as possible.
  3. Wait at least two hours before eating seconds of food that isn't my mindless eating food. (Usually this means I'm not hungry by that point.)
  4. Don't go shopping when I'm hungry, because hungry shopping results in more junk food in the house.
Second phase I started a week ago, and changed some more things:
  1. Except for chocolate, don't eat anything with added sugar.
  2. Try to cut cheese mostly or entirely out of my diet. (I've been doing this by eating a lot of quinoa.)
  3. Reduce saturated fats in favor of monounsaturated fats where possible. (Less meat, more hazelnuts so far.)
  4. Treat my mindless eating sessions as a meal, and put them away after a certain point.
I know of several things I'll change in phase three, but I already feel like I'm moving pretty fast. Though in fairness a lot of these changes are low-hanging fruit. OTOH, I thought that reducing my cheese intake would be way harder than it actually has been so far. One thing that I've noticed is that I feel relatively great. I feel full longer, I feel less miserable, and I feel like I have a lot of energy, which is really just being slightly less low-energy but it's still an improvement.

I'm now wondering whether cheese is secretly the source of all my problems in life. The last time I remember being happy in life was living in Korea, a place where supermarkets only sell inedible processed cheese product. And even in Korea, things went to pot there after I realized I could get real cheese at Costco.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:39 am

It's been three weeks, and I've lost eight pounds, four centimetres off my waist, there's a noticeable difference in how my clothes fit, and I'm just over a third of the way to my goal and no longer in the officially overweight category for my height.

I've also discovered I was way overestimating the calories I was eating at first, for two reasons. Firstly I was guesstimating amounts, and not bothering to check calorie content of things that didn't have labels, like loose fruit and veg, and it turns out I was overestimating both. Secondly, when it comes to the things I was shocked about the calorie content of, turns out I was reading the kilojoules figure by mistake (which is around four times the calorie figure).

I'm actually finding that if I eat three proper meals every day, stick to the recommended portion sizes of carbs, and don't eat snacks, most days I end up having a biscuit or a handful of crisps or something extra after my dinner to make up my daily total to 1300 calories, which I'm trying not to go lower than because I don't want to lose weight any faster than this.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:35 pm

CarrieVS wrote:It's been three weeks, and I've lost eight pounds, four centimetres off my waist, there's a noticeable difference in how my clothes fit, and I'm just over a third of the way to my goal and no longer in the officially overweight category for my height.

I've also discovered I was way overestimating the calories I was eating at first, for two reasons. Firstly I was guesstimating amounts, and not bothering to check calorie content of things that didn't have labels, like loose fruit and veg, and it turns out I was overestimating both. Secondly, when it comes to the things I was shocked about the calorie content of, turns out I was reading the kilojoules figure by mistake (which is around four times the calorie figure).

I'm actually finding that if I eat three proper meals every day, stick to the recommended portion sizes of carbs, and don't eat snacks, most days I end up having a biscuit or a handful of crisps or something extra after my dinner to make up my daily total to 1300 calories, which I'm trying not to go lower than because I don't want to lose weight any faster than this.

That's very good to hear Carrie, keep on the great work.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:54 pm

I've been going to the gym semi regularly lately while doing fuck all with my diet.

I've lost 2 lbs and have improved how much I can lift overall and my cardio endurance has improved. It's not easy, but I can now walk at 4 mph instead of being forced into a jog. I'm able to run at 5 mph for an entire song. This is huge for me. Some of my clothes are fitting marginally better. It's not super noticeable, but slow progress is still progress.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby AboveGL » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:57 am

Congrats to sunny and others here who have made progress on their journeys. For anyone who has fallen off the wagon: don't be too hard on yourself, and get back on it. It's disappointing not seeing the gains but you're allowed to go through that periodically.

A couple of weeks ago, I announced reaching my next milestone which is to drop below 80kg. The last time I weighed myself (last week) I was 78kg, but I have noticed my waist getting thinner too. Because I've put on more muscle than before, I must be losing a lot in body fat.

However, overall body fat reduction has also made my hips slightly smaller. Maybe I just need to hit the gym again after a nearly two-week break (I've been busy as hell downsizing for the house move lately), but I'm gonna have to continue working those hip and arse muscles.

I'm ever so happy with my progress so far and I've managed the shed the extra faster than I anticipated. It's not just the exercise, but also regulating what I eat. I don't obsessively calorie count but I carefully manager my portions and allow myself to cheat on weekends and I've really been able to see the results from doing just that.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 pm

I've just recently started buying my own groceries and preparing my own meals, I don't currently have any work or classes for the summer, so I figure now's as good a time as ever to try to slim down.

I'm 6'4" and about 270 lbs. (I don't have a very good scale so it's hard to get an exact number). For my height and age, I really ought to only be 220 lbs. at most, 200 being ideal. Which means that I'm aiming to lose 50-70 pounds, but losing 20 before fall semester starts in about 9 weeks is my target right now. Apparently with how much energy my hulking mass takes to just function on a basic level from day to day, to stay exactly as fat as I am, I need to consume 2800 calories per day. According to MyFitnessPal.com, in order to lose the 2 pounds/week that I'm aiming for, I need to have a daily net calorie intake of 1900. Which is WAY more food than I thought dieting would be like. I guess this is one example of height privilege, since right now my 'diet' meal is portioned to what most people would consider a 'normal' meal. I'm actually finding that I can get by with just a net of 1300 calories or so, but I'm being sure to not dip below 1200, since I've read that's actually counterproductive to weight loss, your body atrophying muscle instead of burning fat.

My 'diet' (such as it is) right now is as follows. It's not sophisticated, but it seems to be working so far. When I get hungry, I ask myself "am I hungry enough to get up and eat either an orange or a banana?" if the answer is no, I wait a while. If and when the answer is eventually yes, I eat either an orange or a banana, very slowly. After eating the fruit, I may usually still be a little hungry, but I ask myself "having just eaten this, are you hungry enough to get up and cook yourself a meal right this minute?" and the answer is generally no. If the answer is yes, I still will myself to wait at least an hour or two after the fruit. And then I cook myself something hearty and delicious, my mainstays so far have been pasta, burgers, fried eggs, bacon, and grilled cheese, portioned at a modest serving, about enough to fill a small plate. And then I eat it slowly, maybe with a half-can of mountain dew to feed the ole caffeine addiction. I may or may not still be hungry after eating my 'something delicious', but I then ask myself "am I hungry enough to get up and eat either an orange or a banana?" and thus the cycle continues.

I've been doing that for about a week now, only been keeping proper track of stuff for three days. Wish me luck!

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Keeping your muscles in use is particularly important in losing weight like this. It's surprising how easy it is to lose significant muscle mass when cutting down in this way. If you aren't already, doing bodyweight strength exercises should easily be enough assuming you have ordinary amounts of muscle to begin with. If you're a beefcake you might want to look into protein supplements to conserve your muscles while you're cutting fat.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

PreviousNext