Let's lose weight together!

Discussion, in general

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Midas Burroughs » Mon May 27, 2013 5:14 am

sunglasses wrote:
Robert wrote:
Midas Burroughs wrote:Tell you what, I'll gain weight without increasing my BMI. I won't be as fast about it as Aussie but I'll try. I'd offer to lose weight too but I'm kind of using what I have.

I am not sure if you know how BMI works, but that's like saying I will gain weight without gaining weight. Unless of course you are still growing vertically. But good luck anyway.

Here ya go Robert and Midas: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obe ... micalc.htm

I'm not growing vertically. I'm going to stretch myself on one of those torture racks while drinking protein shakes.

Resident expert of disagreeing and fruit.
Midas Burroughs
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Advocatus Diaboli

Postby Peryite » Mon May 27, 2013 5:41 am

This seems like a good idea. I managed to lose 10 pounds since January but I seem to just be sticking where I am now. I want to weigh 125--don't worry, I'm short. I tried joining myfitnesspal, but lurking on the forums a little revealed the community there to be pretty spiteful, competitive, and self righteous. A health thread here on TCS seems like a good idea. I agree with Skootle that it would be a good way to stay motivated.

Peryite
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Post-Modernist

Postby Glassjaw Girl » Mon May 27, 2013 9:05 am

I think one of the best ways to lose surplus weight and get healthier overall is to cut back on the trans fats.
Trans fats are bad. Do not support the trans fats.

Glassjaw Girl
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Communications Commander

Postby sunglasses » Mon May 27, 2013 10:03 am

Glassjaw Girl wrote:I think one of the best ways to lose surplus weight and get healthier overall is to cut back on the trans fats.
Trans fats are bad. Do not support the trans fats.

Transfats, so bad yet they taste so good. All the bad stuff tastes good. I've decided I'm going to cut out all soda, I drink diet but it can cause a craving for sugar. I going to go cold turkey on snack foods as well.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby CarrieVS » Mon May 27, 2013 2:06 pm

I'll join you. I don't need to lose weight - yet - but I do want to stop gradually gaining it, and to get fitter. I eat far too much junk food and don't take enough exercise.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby sunglasses » Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 am

So, week one day one. I'm off to a 'fabulous' start. I've decided no alcohol during my diet and may have had a mimosa or two at my aunts. So yay for headaches. Meanwhile, I cannot find a tape measure in the dang house to do my measurements. I found a paper one but it only goes up to 36 inches so I couldn't do my hips-last I measured those babies they were 40 inches. It looks like the waist is 29 inches. The weight this morning is 139.5 lbs.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue May 28, 2013 1:02 pm

sunglasses wrote: I've decided no alcohol during my diet.

Woah, hold on there, let's not go nuts here people. I mean I'm all for getting healthy, BUT AT WHAT COST!?!?

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby sunglasses » Tue May 28, 2013 2:04 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:
sunglasses wrote: I've decided no alcohol during my diet.

Woah, hold on there, let's not go nuts here people. I mean I'm all for getting healthy, BUT AT WHAT COST!?!?

Too many empty calories, Doc.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm up for this. I just joined a gym recently, so I've been looking to get healthier. Because I keep hearing about this mysterious "exercise" thing, and I figured I should be doing it more regularly.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Glassjaw Girl » Wed May 29, 2013 6:09 am

I just weighed myself and found that I am below my preferred weight of 115 lbs. I may take a break from this weight loss thing, but not much because I get really cranky if I don't run regularly.
FYI I'm not anorexic; I was just a very sickly kid. I'm healthy as a horse now. Wish I could run as fast too.

I'll enjoy my chocolate pudding then. However, I will be here constantly to keep an eye on how well you all are progressing. Remember, trans fats are bad!

Glassjaw Girl
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Communications Commander

Postby sunglasses » Fri May 31, 2013 3:02 am

That's all right, GG. I wouldn't want you to get any slimmer if you're only 115lbs. Well so far, so good-ish. Work has always been a hard one for me-it's very hard to not want to snack all night. I brought a variety of healthier foods in so that's helped. Eating when I'm hungry, etc. I also didn't bring any money for the snack machines. Well, actually, I did but I went to get gas and my bf had used my debit card and forgot to put it back so I used the cash I had on hand. Didn't really work out yesterday BUT I did take my dogs on a nice long walk, pushed a van into a parking lot, and lifted up my 30+ pound nephew a lot. Today I skipped out too however it was not intentional. I got some sleep before work and slept longer then I had planned. I did squeeze in a few squats and arm curls. Maybe tonight if I have a chance, I'll do some leg lifts or something.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Fri May 31, 2013 3:14 am

It was yesterday I realised that I lost an extra inch of my waist. This is good news.

It seems I can get most of my exercise from jiujitsu.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Peryite » Fri May 31, 2013 3:58 am

Water weight is what always kind of confuses me. I don't quite get it--I was running last week when it was hot and sunny, and this guy in a full hoodie and sweats comes along and chats me up while we're on the bench. We talked about running and he said that he was wearing his sweats to help lose water weight. I don't think that's the right way to do it. Maybe in the short term, but I've noticed that on days when I eat salty things without drinking extra water, I gain weight quickly. So it seems to be dehydration that causes water weight, not helps get rid of it.

As for me, I weigh currently 135 pounds. I found that I lost about 4 inches from waist since January when it was 35 inches, so that's good. There's been a rash of rainy weather so I only got to run once this week. However, I walk to the park in the afternoon if it's nice and make sure to drink plenty to keep the water weight off. I need to go shopping in a couple of days and get some fresh fruit and things.

It's a little difficult because I kind of have to hide this from my family. My older sister often has issues with eating and if anyone finds I'm trying to change my eating, they'll fear the worst.

Peryite
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Post-Modernist

Postby sunglasses » Fri May 31, 2013 4:32 am

Peryite wrote:Water weight is what always kind of confuses me. I don't quite get it--I was running last week when it was hot and sunny, and this guy in a full hoodie and sweats comes along and chats me up while we're on the bench. We talked about running and he said that he was wearing his sweats to help lose water weight. I don't think that's the right way to do it. Maybe in the short term, but I've noticed that on days when I eat salty things without drinking extra water, I gain weight quickly. So it seems to be dehydration that causes water weight, not helps get rid of it.

Peryite, you're correct-dehydration can cause you to retain fluid. The thing is people really focus too much on 'water weight.' The only time that fluid weight can be substantial is if you have kidney or heart problems. That being said eating too much salt can cause some fluid retention. Some body builders will restrict fluids and try to sweat out 'water weight' before competitions and photo shoots. This can be very dangerous. Additionally, women can retain fluid during pregnancy and menstral cycles but I think most people know that.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby revereche » Fri May 31, 2013 10:13 pm

I already take walks daily, and recently quitting coffee helped quite a bit (I can't take it without a heaping spoonful of cocoa or similar). Now to get to walking a bit more, and dropping my excessive reliance on sweets . . .

ハヒフヘホ~
revereche
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

PreviousNext