Let's lose weight together!

Discussion, in general

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:Keeping your muscles in use is particularly important in losing weight like this. It's surprising how easy it is to lose significant muscle mass when cutting down in this way. If you aren't already, doing bodyweight strength exercises should easily be enough assuming you have ordinary amounts of muscle to begin with. If you're a beefcake you might want to look into protein supplements to conserve your muscles while you're cutting fat.

I am by no means a beefcake, people have assumed that I'm strong but I'm really not very. I can barely do a few pushups or situps in a row. Part of the problem, I assume, is that I'm pushing against what ought to be my own weight, plus the equivalent of a small woman sitting on my back. I figure it'll be easier to get some muscles going after I've slimmed down. As it is, I do a fair bit of walking. I did 4.5 miles in 80 minutes today, for example. I don't have a FitBit watch or anything, I just worked out the distance on google maps and kept track of the time. I don't own any weights or have an inclination to purchase any, do you have any recommendations as to what I could be doing for my upper body?

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Many of you will know that I have trouble with my joints - mainly my knees and occasionally hips. I generally describe it as arthritis but haven't had a proper diagnosis. I've always been glad that my arms aren't affected.

I started doing daily press-ups - not too many and gradually building up, so as not to overdo it - when I started trying to lose weight, because I read the same thing, that it's important to do strength exercises when losing weight - and I don't really put a lot of strain on my arms in my daily life.

I've been kind of letting that slide the last week or so though, because it turns out after a month of that my elbows are shot too.

Scarik wrote:I'm not dead. I'm invading Kent
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Battling ropes would be a good choice. You can learn the techniques to work pretty much all of your main upper body muscles and it's good for cardio too.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Don't you dare go Hollow.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:00 am

Anglerphobe wrote:Battling ropes would be a good choice. You can learn the techniques to work pretty much all of your main upper body muscles and it's good for cardio too.

Allow me to rephrase, things that would not require me to go anywhere or buy anything.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:02 pm

So, I did it! I didn't manage to keep up the press-ups or increase muscle tone, but I lost a stone and a half, and I'm at my target weight.

Now I just have to find a balance to maintain this weight without putting it back on or losing any more.

Scarik wrote:I'm not dead. I'm invading Kent
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:41 am

I’m down to 290 due to an appetite suppressant called Saxenda.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Previous