You're a shitty driver... yes, you with the eyeballs!

Discussion, in general

Re: You're a shitty driver... yes, you with the eyeballs!

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:05 am

DamianaRaven wrote:
ghijkmnop wrote:Driving the speed limit in the high-speed lane while people queue up behind you and pass you on the right is dangerous, and in many states will get you cited.

Penalizing someone for obeying the law while everyone around them is breaking it is some stone-cold bullshit!

Something seems really wrong about that, the speed limit is the law. I'm with DamianaRaven on this.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:09 am

DoglovingJim wrote:Something seems really wrong about that, the speed limit is the law. I'm with DamianaRaven on this.

You know what else what the law, Jim? Apartheid.
Should Nelson Mandela have obeyed that law?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:50 am

cmsellers wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:Something seems really wrong about that, the speed limit is the law. I'm with DamianaRaven on this.

You know what else what the law, Jim? Apartheid.
Should Nelson Mandela have obeyed that law?

Well, yes. Because it was the law, but then that law changed.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:48 am

That's a real racist catch-22 there, Jim.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 am

It was kind of a joke, I don't see how apartheid enforced by a "white minority regime" can even possibly be compared with following set speed limits. Now I don't like speed limits as much as the next man but it's the law and I'm not going to break it, all I can do is pray that they would one day change it and increase them.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:34 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:
ghijkmnop wrote:Driving the speed limit in the high-speed lane while people queue up behind you and pass you on the right is dangerous, and in many states will get you cited.

Penalizing someone for obeying the law while everyone around them is breaking it is some stone-cold bullshit!

You're not obeying the law if you're in the high-speed lane driving slower than the speed of traffic in the outer lanes.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:24 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:I don't see how apartheid enforced by a "white minority regime" can even possibly be compared with following set speed limits.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:01 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:57 am

ghijkmnop wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:
DamianaRaven wrote:

Something seems really wrong about that, the speed limit is the law. I'm with DamianaRaven on this.

The NSC defensive driving class I taught's response to this is: "Traffic is like a river; FLOW WITH IT!" Driving exactly the speed limit in the passing lane can get you cited for Obstructing Traffic/Dangerous driving.

If the speed limit is the law, then there would be no need for more than one lane in each direction on most stretches of the Interstate. The existence of a passing/high speed lane (and the fact that these lanes are called exactly that), and the well-publicized "secret" that police allow for 5-9 over the speed limit (for multiple reasons, including, to be honest, laziness), pretty much confirms that, in this case, the law is the law ONLY if you are obviously breaking it.

But--- even if you disagree with all that, the OTHER sign on the highway regarding driving says "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS," so by technically obeying the first law by going the speed limit, you are breaking the second one, which based on my conversations with LEOs, is far more important to traffic safety under normal circumstances.

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/16/5804590/wh ... -left-lane

Interesting, is this just an American thing or do you think it applies with Australia as well?

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:24 pm

I know it most definitely don't apply to Brazil.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:17 pm

I think it varies from state to state as well. California law, for example, states:
California Motor Vehicle Code § 22400(a) wrote:No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.

(emphasis added).

In other words, "speed of traffic" isn't an excuse for exceeding the speed limit.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Piter Lauchy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:29 pm

satan_n_stuff wrote:
Piter Lauchy wrote:
cmsellers wrote:
Piter Lauchy wrote:I'm a fantastic driver. That's all.

So what's the fastest you've driven on the autobahns?

160-170 km/h (~99-106 mph), I think.

You either have a really slow car or you've never once tried to see what it can do.

I don't have a car, but it's mostly the latter. To me, the point of no speed limit isn't to drive as fast as physically possible, but to be able to drive at a non-boring speed all the time. Wikipedia says that 85 mph is the highest speed limit in the US, but that's only in a tiny part of Texas. 70-75 mph is way more common and it would annoy the crap out of me to never be allowed to go faster than that.
The official recommended speed here is 130 km/h (~81 mph). I usually drive at 140-150 km/h (~87-93 mph) and only go faster when there's an annoying driver at roughly my speed and I want to get away from them.

Once I get a motorcycle license that might change, though.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby 8====D » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:31 pm

Here is a really, really simple one.

Turn your fucking lights on.

Is it raining outside? Turn your lights on.

Is it just grey and over cast? Turn your damn lights on.

Has the sun set like 30 minutes ago and there's just a tiny sliver of light peeking over the horizon?
TURN YOUR FUCKING LIGHTS ON!!!!!!

The sky is grey your car is grey the asphalt is grey and you are creeping around in my blind spot with your headlights off.

Turn your damn lights on.

8====D
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:15 pm

That's a rather aggressive introduction, but hello to you, too, Richard!
Also, don't forget the blinkers.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby Twistappel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:05 am

Piter Lauchy wrote:That's a rather aggressive introduction, but hello to you, too, Richard!
Also, don't forget the blinkers.

Yeah, normally we just start with some introductions and gentle probing, JamishT asks you a few seemingly innocuous questions, we extract one of your molars to keep on file and then we get into the vitriolic ranting.

But hi. Nice to see you're such a big fan of the number "8".

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

PreviousNext