Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:49 pm

So, I got an electric tea kettle. Seems to work great. This should be in "things that are good," right?

Well, unfortunately, I made myself four cups of black tea between 7 PM and midnight.

I've never been a person who thought caffeine made it hard for me to fall asleep. But then, until recently, I couldn't usually fall asleep until 3 AM and had a hard time of it then anyways.

I can now confirm that four cups of tea with six hours of when I meant to go to bed does, indeed, fuck with my ability to fall asleep.

I hadn't even thought that tea had that much caffeine. Not a ton more than chocolate, right, so surely I should have a tolerance?

When I eat chocolate, it's usually 25 grams of of 85% chocolate, which by my calculations is 17 mg of caffeine.

Estimates I'm seeing for a cup of black tea range from 47 mg (almost three times as much) on the low end to 90 mg (over five times as much) on the high end.

Per cup.

I had four.
  • 6

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8904
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:09 pm

This week I learned (from my newest coworker) that some of my other coworkers spend a lot of time talking shit about the rest of us in Spanish. They don’t know how fluent she is because she only speaks to them in English.

That might have gone in the rant thread, except I interviewed for two jobs this past Monday (one in person, the other over the phone), and I think I did pretty well on both. I should hear more about them soon. The second one doesn’t involve any travel and pays more than twice what I’m making now, but I still have one more interview for that one, and it’s for a company I’ve interviewed at before and got nowhere. *shrug*
  • 3

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
User avatar
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm
Location: not the outskirts of nowhere anymore, NJ, USA
Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Re: Things that are things.

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:46 pm

I just tried yerba mate.

The smell is awful. The taste: I don't hate it, but I can't say I'm a fan. I think I might like it better than green tea, but black tea is far better. OTOH, it leaves a sort of weird feeling on my tongue after each sip. Not an aftertaste, but like a slight tingling? I kind of like that, so I might have more on occasion.
  • 2

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8904
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Australia » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:50 pm

I feel like this weekend could be called Mane Concerns. Like, I'm not one for superstitions but if I was a Leo and not a Capricorn, I would lock in that there was some weird lion conspiracy going on in my life. In the past two days, I've seen the new Lion King (it's as entertaining as it is unnecessary), gone to a Lions footy match (we won - up to second on the ladder, baby!), made a shitty meme based around a Lion King poster for a podcast I like and gotten top comment on the new HISHE for Lion King (I try to avoid Youtube comment sections because Nazis but I had a joke I definitely would have put down in the Cracked days so I got it out of my system only for a truly inexplicable amount of thumbs awaiting me today). So if I'm mauled by a lion tomorrow, please pass this evidence on to someone to prove it was premeditated. Aslan is a cruel and unusual god.
  • 7

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
User avatar
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Take a wild guess
Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Twistappel » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:59 pm

BAD NEWS: My earphones went through the wash.

GOOD NEWS: They still work, and they're way cleaner now.
  • 7

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
User avatar
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: The People's Republic of Colorado
Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Re: Things that are things.

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:09 pm

I got a flat tire, which would have gone in the rant thread if I had the energy. Have the spare on and am trying not to drive much. But anyways, I was going to order from Discount Tire because that's what my mechanic recommended last time, and I noticed the "instant price match" and thought "huh, would Amazon or someone have a better price?" So I checked, and twenty dollars cheaper per tire.

At this point, I was just going to order from Amazon (have Prime through my father) but there's no free two day shipping, so I won't get it until Thursday. As I recall, Discount Tires will get them to you in two days. So I check the "instant price match." It takes 24 hours, negating any speed benefit, and excludes sale items. Since Amazon discounted items are always technically "on sale," it seemed likely any price matching would be rejected, and there was no speed advantage anyways.

So their "instant price match," which is neither instant nor a price match, saw me ordering tires from Amazon instead, something I wouldn't even have thought to do.

This isn't the first time Discount Tire's policies seem counterproductive. The reason my mechanic recommended them in the first place is because they come with a warranty, but the warranty only comes if you have them installed through them. However they didn't, of course, have what I needed in stock and wouldn't order them unless I cam in in person, so, screw that. First time, it just meant I went with my mechanic for installation instead of them, and I wouldn't have even considered going with them if the warranty hadn't depended on it.

This time, though, they lost the sale entirely, and now that I know Amazon is cheaper, I will probably never order from them again, all because they have a seemingly useless "instant price match."
  • 5

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8904
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Absentia » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:28 pm

People complain that Amazon is taking over the world because they're unethical, and maybe they are, but there's also something to be said for the fact that they're usually just smarter than their competitors.
  • 8

User avatar
Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1778
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 am
Location: Earth
Show rep

Re: Things that are things.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Today I learned that putting things in the colour red and making the BIG and BOLD is acceptable when quoting. Also, there's a town called Internet in India. Who knew?
  • 3

User avatar
NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:49 am
Location: You'll Never Know!
Show rep

Re: Things that are things.

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:37 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Today I learned that putting things in the colour red and making the BIG and BOLD is acceptable when quoting.


Adding emphasis is generally acceptable, though it's usual practice to state "emphasis mine." I guess the colour red might be considered excessive.
  • 4

The Dungeon Master wrote:Those who don't want to be baptised, make a dexterity saving throw.
User avatar
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt
 
Posts: 7069
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm
Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Re: Things that are things.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:56 pm

I lost my keys. So I searched for them for an hour. They were in my pocket.
  • 5

User avatar
NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:49 am
Location: You'll Never Know!
Show rep

Re: Things that are things.

Postby JamishT » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Last night I was playing Farming Simulator 17, because I AM A GAMER, and was staying up late trying to get my soybeans harvested and some trees cleared out. It got later and later, and the two cats that live with me were hanging out in my room, but then one of them STEPPED ON MY TOWER'S POWER BUTTON. Since I didn't have autosave on, she wiped out $90k in soybean sales, $15k in lumber sales, $150k in "mission" rewards, and the purchase of a new and bigger seeder. I am still annoyed at her.

Image
  • 4

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
User avatar
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber
 
Posts: 5492
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm
Location: KC, MO, AMERICA
Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:39 pm

My dad is weirdly insistent on convincing me to get a toupee. I think he just doesn’t like looking at the scar on top of my head for some reason.
  • 4

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
User avatar
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm
Location: not the outskirts of nowhere anymore, NJ, USA
Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Re: Things that are things.

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:45 pm

JamishT wrote:Last night I was playing Farming Simulator 17, because I AM A GAMER, and was staying up late trying to get my soybeans harvested and some trees cleared out. It got later and later, and the two cats that live with me were hanging out in my room, but then one of them STEPPED ON MY TOWER'S POWER BUTTON. Since I didn't have autosave on, she wiped out $90k in soybean sales, $15k in lumber sales, $150k in "mission" rewards, and the purchase of a new and bigger seeder. I am still annoyed at her.


Why? The kitty was just testing your gamer-er-ness by doing a save check.
  • 5

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6572
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Malfeasinator » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Today I learned that putting things in the colour red and making the BIG and BOLD is acceptable when quoting. Also, there's a town called Internet in India. Who knew?


Fixed that for you.
  • 4

Are you dreaming?
Are you dreaming?
User avatar
Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Florida
Show rep
Title: Cracka Ass Cracka

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:11 pm

Ice creams flavored like yellow mustard and (separately) hot dogs exist. I have never been less eager to try an ice cream flavor in my life.
  • 4

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
User avatar
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm
Location: not the outskirts of nowhere anymore, NJ, USA
Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests