Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:37 pm

That got me thinking. I graduated 20 years ago. Apparently I'm not even on the list for my graduating class on classmates.com. According to that site there was one in 2008 and more people declined than said yes.

I'm just glad that I'm not officially lumped in with that place or those people. Ick.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:41 pm

I feel like the only purpose of high school reunions is rubbing your success in other people's faces. I have no success, and therefore I see no point in going to one.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 pm

I only actually attended the school I graduated from for half of my sophomore year. The next two years were at a vocational school career center. I was immediately adopted by a popular clique after moving to the town and was hilariously both "popular" and a pariah due to unintentionally climbing a social ladder that others spent their entire lives struggling with. So I really don't know most of the people I graduated with. I'd be glad to rub in their faces that I don't live there anymore but I'd really be interested to see which ones haven't died from an overdose.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:41 pm

cmsellers wrote:I feel like the only purpose of high school reunions is rubbing your success in other people's faces. I have no success, and therefore I see no point in going to one.

I’m mildly curious to see who got knocked up (one person, that I know of), who’s in jail, who (else) died, what the hell happened to convince that one guy to get married, and whose life isn’t a complete mess, but yeah.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 am

I love reunions. It's an opportunity to show everyone that I still wear all black (but in a suit now!), am still sarcastic, and I'm a raging alcoholic. Actually maybe now that I think about it I shouldn't go to other people's reunions.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 pm

I think I found a new religion:
Spoiler: show

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:45 am

I was at a Toyota dealership looking at what they had in a reasonable price range. Salesman shows me a Venza, which is not on the list of cars I am looking at, telling me it is a Matrix at first. I sit in the car to try it and get out. The conversation that follows is transcribed to the best of my recollection.

Salesman: Sorry, I was wrong, this is not a Matrix, it is a Venza.
Me: That was not on my list; I will have to look it up. What did you say it was called again?
Salesman: A Venza. Are you basing your buying decisions entirely on Consumer Reports?
Me: No, but that and the reliability rating from US News and World Report are what I am using to narrow down the cars I am looking at.
Salesman: Why would you rely on the opinion of another person for this? Why not try the cars and make a decision for yourself.
Me: Because knowing about cars is their job.
<Timelapse forward to when I am leaving>
Me: By the way, you sell Toyotas. Toyota dominates reliability ratings in both sources across almost every category. Are you sure "third-party reliability ratings aren't that important" is a pitch you want to be using?
Salesman: Well, I was just saying you shouldn't rule a car out based on what one person says about its reliability.
Me

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:33 am

My dad is on the phone with Travelocity. Their on-hold music is currently Simon and Garfunkel’s “Homeward Bound.”

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:56 pm

I learned yesterday about the crocoduck, an animal Kirk Cameron invented to "prove" that evolution is impossible. Because of how absurd the question is, and probably in part because of how damn cute the crocoduck is, it became an adorable meme.

Seriously, how friggin' adorable is this thing?

Now I want a plushie of one, but sadly that is something that somehow no one has thought to make yet.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:09 pm

That looks more like an alligator duck to me, but I'm no expert.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:10 am

Anglerphobe wrote:That looks more like an alligator duck to me, but I'm no expert.

Hard to tell from that picture, but either way, all alligators are crocodilians.

I am still disappointed that he did not go with the the name "quackodile."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 am

It is a little after midnight here in KC. Some new people moved into the house next door a few months ago, and I haven't seen or really heard them in that time even though it seems to be a group of youngins (their WiFi is named "WiFi for Muggles", and there's multiple cars). Last night they had a party, which is fine, even if it lasted beyond midnight. It was a Saturday, and I understand parties, whatever. Tonight, I heard drumming starting at around 11pm, and by "heard" I mean heard a snare drum through my closed window and headphones. I'm not a confrontational person, so I figured I'd wait until midnight to say anything. I'm not even going to sleep for a few hours, it's just annoying to have drumming going on in the night.

So I hear it start up again at like 12:05, and I decide to meet the neighbors. I got halfway across their lawn when the dude made eye contact with me, at which time I waved, he said "oh shit" and closed the garage door. He was alone, in his garage, blaring that Spanish music with accordions and shtuff with a single snare drum in front of him. I said, "okay...uh..." and turned around to head back. I heard stuff like "hey man it's time to go to bed" and "come on man". I don't know what he thought of a dude with a unkempt large beard walking toward him. I hope he doesn't think I was going to do anything. Hopefully nothing but some peace and quiet at night will come of this.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:45 am

JamishT wrote:It is a little after midnight here in KC. Some new people moved into the house next door a few months ago, and I haven't seen or really heard them in that time even though it seems to be a group of youngins (their WiFi is named "WiFi for Muggles", and there's multiple cars). Last night they had a party, which is fine, even if it lasted beyond midnight. It was a Saturday, and I understand parties, whatever. Tonight, I heard drumming starting at around 11pm, and by "heard" I mean heard a snare drum through my closed window and headphones. I'm not a confrontational person, so I figured I'd wait until midnight to say anything. I'm not even going to sleep for a few hours, it's just annoying to have drumming going on in the night.

So I hear it start up again at like 12:05, and I decide to meet the neighbors. I got halfway across their lawn when the dude made eye contact with me, at which time I waved, he said "oh shit" and closed the garage door. He was alone, in his garage, blaring that Spanish music with accordions and shtuff with a single snare drum in front of him. I said, "okay...uh..." and turned around to head back. I heard stuff like "hey man it's time to go to bed" and "come on man". I don't know what he thought of a dude with a unkempt large beard walking toward him. I hope he doesn't think I was going to do anything. Hopefully nothing but some peace and quiet at night will come of this.

Hey we all know what a bearded man did to a muggle in the 90s, it's understandable why he freaked out.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 pm

Austin is experiencing a mild drought and coming under water restriction for the first time since I have moved here. Stage one restrictions only affect automatic lawn-watering systems, and my water bill is normally low (so if prices go up it won't be by much), but I will be curious to see where this leads.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:47 pm

We need to sort out this natural water distribution stuff. Earlier this week we had enough rain that we could spare a few drops for a while. Then it rained again.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

PreviousNext