Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:59 pm

@Nathan:
That restriction is because of NBC, who owns the rights, so if you're after revenge, I'd try a terrorist attack on 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

On another note, The Long Center, which I've only ever used to get Gilbert and Sullivan tickets, sent me an email that read "Western swing + Old-time blues + Brassed-up bluegrass = Bumper Jacksons." Take out "brassed-up," and it would be hard to find something that appeals to me more, so after confirming their brass isn't insufferable, I got a ticket for the show this Wednesday.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:20 am

No. I'm certain it was the super-villian The Uploader.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:08 pm

I now know what my proximal interphalangeal joint looks like.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby cmsellers » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:37 am

YouTube keeps recommending videos I've already watched to me. I'm not sure if this is because I usually leave the video when they get to the "sponsored by x" bit at the end, or because I rewatch some videos that are songs a lot, and so YouTube thinks I like rewatching videos.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Tuli » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:30 pm

Remember when youtube used to recommend things related to the thing you're currently watching? Now the majority of recommendations are completely unrelated to the thing and instead based on whatever else I've watched in the past. It's annoying and useless. I want recommendations to be on topic!

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:04 pm

Tuli wrote:Remember when youtube used to recommend things related to the thing you're currently watching? Now the majority of recommendations are completely unrelated to the thing and instead based on whatever else I've watched in the past. It's annoying and useless. I want recommendations to be on topic!

This; I thought it might have just been me. Although I think it’s somewhat funny to finish watching a video about math and see recommendations for 1960s music.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:04 pm

In the four winters I've been in Austin, I'd seen it snow twice and both times it was gone by morning.

Today, I woke up to see snow on my neighbors' roofs. It's 11 AM, and it's still there.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:34 am

Today is my two-year work anniversary, meaning that I am coming up to having had this job longer than any other job I've ever had. And we're a pretty small company, with lots of office banter and in-jokes. Anyway, while discussing my two-year anniversary yesterday, I looked on the Internet to see what substance a two-year wedding anniversary would be, you know, as a joke. It turns out it's cotton. So today was my cotton anniversary of providing first-line IT support for a boutique data centre and web hosting company. Okay, so that's all fine so far. But as the banter and in-jokes continued, I said I should totally get a cotton-based reward for my long(ish) service, because the company used to give you a plaque if you worked there for five years.

So this morning, I cycled to work as I do every day. I showed up drenched in sweat, as I do every day, because I have that medical problem where you sweat too much and I'm generally quite a damp and icky dude who really shouldn't be cycling anywhere. But hey, I care about the environment and saving money and avoiding traffic. My love for the environment also means that I have a towel on my desk for drying the mug I always drink from when I wash it, because there are no communal towels in our office, just gigantic rolls of those blue paper towels, and it saves trees to dry a mug with a reusable towel made of fabric. However, given the really quite nasty amount of sweating I am prone to (I read somewhere that it counts as "severe" if it actually drips off you, which it does sometimes for me but not always), I do also wipe sweat off my forehead with the towel. So in classic small-office in-joke workplace banter fashion, the towel now has a reputation as an unspeakably disgusting rag that nobody else should ever even touch. And so, on cotton-anniversary day, today, I arrived to find a brand new set of 100% cotton towels as a present from my employer, sitting on my desk to greet me and commemorate my achievement.

What an amusing extension to the in-joke about my towel! What an entertaining continuation of the whole "cotton anniversary" celebration! Good old workplace. We're such characters, and yes I am being a tad ironic there, because for real, if you don't work there, none of this will be funny or interesting in the slightest. But our marketing guys have been looking for a while for opportunities to make us seem more fun and human to our customers, using the delights of social media, and so it was suggested that we should post a picture of me with my hilariously appropriate cotton-based gifts on our various social media channels. And when I say it was suggested, I mean it sure felt mandatory as I was doing it. I owned it, with a big cheesy grin as I hugged my new towels so tightly, and we all thought the slightly uncomfortable experience was hilarious, plus I scored some hot new towels so I can't complain. I even threw away the manky old one that I have washed a grand total of once in two years.

Unfortunately, are our client base really going to relate to a story about replacing a funky towel they know nothing about? In fact, the towel story wasn't even mentioned in the official social media post. And, as was only noticed later, nor was it pointed out that a two-year anniversary is a cotton anniversary, and let's face it, that probably isn't common knowledge to most people unless they look it up like I just did. So now, out there on Facebook and LinkedIn and possibly a couple of other places, there is a solitary social media post from a small company wishing me a happy two-year work anniversary, with a photo of me beaming delightedly as I clutch a fistful of small towels in the middle of an office for no reason at all. We don't make towels; we're a datacentre. It makes absolutely no sense. And it has my name all over it. Goddamn it.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby JamishT » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:08 am

I got my first speeding ticket today. There's a large hill near my house and the speed limit is 55, but at the top of the following much smaller hill, the speed limit drops to 40. The cop was sitting at the bottom of that smaller hill and nailed me going 57 in that 40 zone. Of course my idiot self also neglected to put my new insurance card in my wallet, car, or phone, so I got a ticket for that too. He thanked me for being polite, and indicated on the ticket that I was doing 50 so I wouldn't get hit with a +10 mph fine. I still have to show up at court next month and I am not looking forward to that. Of course I was speeding and I should have put my insurance info in those places, so I can't complain that much about it, but still, it sucks.

Also, I was scheduled for work half an hour later than I thought, so I wasn't 10 minutes late, I was 20 minutes early.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:54 pm

I was about to leave Walmart earlier, and someone noticed a screw sticking out of one tire (though it isn't flat... yet). I was only a few minutes away from my mechanic's shop, so I brought my car there. He said he was busy and told me to come back later. Not wanting to drive three towns over again, I tried a few gas stations, and at every single one, their tire guy is off today. I got home and realized that my phone fell out of my pocket at some point, and it wasn't in the car. So I called it from the house phone, and the mechanic's son answered and (jokingly) asked what it was worth to me.

Long story short, I have to take my car back in about two hours and bring a lead pipe for... reasons.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:32 pm

Dumb questions get thumps. That's my motto. Well it would be if I had a motto. I should get a motto.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:31 pm

Got all my paperwork in order. I will officially start as an English Writing tutor in Two Weeks.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Absentia » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:38 pm

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:41 pm

Angry Gay Sounds.jpg
Angry Gay Sounds.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 pm

I just sold my old loft bed that I got from Ikea. The directions vanished mysteriously right before the woman who bought it got here, and I had to take it apart more than I had planned, so she wasn’t thrilled, but whatever.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext