Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:46 pm

I read an article about arugula and thought "if I enjoy any cruciferous vegetable, it would probably be this." It's described as peppery tasting, and it's in a different genus from most cruciferous vegetables, so maybe it won't taste bitter. I got some baby arugula from a local farmer's market, figuring "if I like arugula, it will probably be young, fresh, local arugula."

The good news is, it does taste peppery. The bad news is, it still tastes bitter to me. The pepperiness makes the bitterness just palatable initially. However it dissipates far faster than the bitterness, which lingers with an awful aftertaste which even eating other stuff can't displace.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Kivutar » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Try drizzling lemon juice on it?

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Krashlia » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 pm

Carlos Maza, in his milkshake comment, has not incited violence nor made a threat. That post was directed at no particular person or establishment, so it was within his rights to make. Although his comment was wrong in wanting for violence, and it qualifies as a form of hate speech. Also, "milkshaking" (a form of assault) is a crime, and anyone who insists otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

I'm bringing back to memory a qualification or distinction I made for myself on alternet.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 am

Also, bringing this back into the present day.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:12 am

Shopping in Austin: Signs everywhere telling you to please remember your reusable bags.
Shopping in rural Texas: You can hold the reusable bag out to them, or put it on the counter under the stuff you're buying; they still get a plastic bag for you. I don't think I've ever successfully used a reusable bag outside of a city in Texas, and I don't want to make a fuss, so I don't say anything.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 am

cmsellers wrote:...I don't want to make a fuss, so I don't say anything.

I bring a bag almost every time and even though I'm a known regular they still instinctively put it all in plastic, Then watch me put it all back in my bag. It's odd.

One dude (a new guy) even said it was illegal to not bag it because I bought some beer. It would be against the rules if if wasn't going in a bag, except for the fact that it was going in a bag, just not the stores. I guarantee I understood the TABC certification better than that kid but I also didn't want to make a fuss. Still bugs me though.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:25 am

I’ve worked 19.5 hours of overtime so far this week. My boss said there shouldn’t be any tomorrow, but I also thought that about today, and was still called to go in two hours early.

During one of my breaks, someone who works in a different department asked me about the scar on top of my head. She told me she had a similar one from when she was five years old (but with a different cause).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:39 pm

You had the perfect opportunity to explain "how you got those scars" Heath Ledger style, I hope you took advantage of that.

And daaaaaaamn it's Thursday and you're 20 hours into OT? That check is gonna look noice.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:23 am

After Trump got elected, I signed up for the Texas Nationalist Movement mailing list. I recently got an email from them, saying that it costs them too much money to send emails to people who don't contribute, so give them money or they're taking me off the mailing list.

OK, you do that. I mean, emails cost small fractions of a penny to send, and email lists are valuable tools, so this tells me that you're one of the most incompetent organizations I've ever seen, but whatever...

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:56 pm

You take that back! I'm the most incompetent organization you've ever met.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:14 am

I just poured a tea latte into a bowl instead of a mug, and have no idea as to why.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:52 am

It's because you aspire to become a Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:I just poured a tea latte into a bowl instead of a mug, and have no idea as to why.

Cats drink from bowls, not mugs and iirc you're a catgirl so this is just the next step :P

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:16 pm

A new machine operator for us to corrupt started the night shift at my work on Monday. She seems like she knows what she’s doing.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:28 pm

There's something playing a classical music snippet over and over. It's not the tune usually used for ice cream trucks, I think, and I hate ice cream truck ice cream anyways. And yet, I suddenly crave ice cream. Apparently for me, repeated snippet of classical music > ice cream truck > ice cream is delicious > I want ice cream.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext