Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:33 pm

I.. I.. I.. don't think he was justifying anything.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:Either cats really are magic, or something has gone horribly wrong.

My mom’s cat has been missing all day. Normally, this wouldn’t be a problem, except he’s an indoor cat, and we’ve looked everywhere in the house.

The reason why he’s an indoor cat is because he was declawed (before we got him).

Open cabinet and closet doors. Curiosity will draw the cat towards one of the open portals. Or you might find the cat has found his way into one of those places somehow. When our cat was smaller she would open kitchen cabinets and climb into drawers and fall asleep. We've also closed her in closets a couple times. Does it have a favorite toy or treat? That can be an effective lure.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:57 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:Either cats really are magic, or something has gone horribly wrong.

My mom’s cat has been missing all day. Normally, this wouldn’t be a problem, except he’s an indoor cat, and we’ve looked everywhere in the house.

We found him outside earlier today, after someone down the street thought she saw his remains on the highway. He was perfectly calm and unhurt, hanging out in a toolshed in the backyard that we checked multiple times (though there’s a hole in it that he probably used to come and go whenever he wanted).

cmsellers wrote:You don't need to justify having indoor cats to me. Outdoor cats massacre birds and I like birds.

I actually meant to imply that it would be cause for concern if he got out. Although now that you say that, it occurs to me that you would probably hate my sister’s cat. He’s been known to kill almost any wildlife he can get his paws on, including birds.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Krashlia » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:37 am

Am I the only one who thinks a show called "Skilled Teaser Takagi-san" sounds slightly pervy? Like, I know that this is a show about some dense kid always being teased by a girl that likes him, but "Skilled Teaser" is a kinda weird title to give.

Last edited by Krashlia on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:23 am

Is it poor form to ask a college professor for an excused absence on account of attending your Great-Uncle's funeral and have that email be mostly about a missing syllabus with all the assignments listed in a class with no online elements?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Absentia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:59 pm

I got a call yesterday morning from the Commonwealth's Attorney (which is what Virginia calls their District Attorneys because we're special I guess) in Chesapeake. Apparently I was subpoenaed to appear in court today because I filed a police report for a shoplifting back in August, only I never got the subpoena because I moved and the mail forwarding has been spotty.

I informed her that I had moved two hours away, that this was literally the first thing I'd heard from anybody about it since I filed the report, and that I never actually saw the guy except on the security video that she presumably already had. So so she said I didn't have to come.

In theory I could have asked for approval to drive down there on the state's dime, since I'm still working for the same agency. But I doubt I would have been approved; the mileage alone would cost more than they lost in the shoplifting.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Is it poor form to ask a college professor for an excused absence on account of attending your Great-Uncle's funeral and have that email be mostly about a missing syllabus with all the assignments listed in a class with no online elements?

This is a run-on sentence which is very difficult to parse, but I think I cracked it.

Asking for an excused absence depends on the professor's policy, since colleges don't have universal policies on attendance. Typically, if college professors take attendance, they'll have a set number of absences they allow before they mark you down for it. On the other hand, if you go over that limit but only one of your absences is one you have a good excuse for, they're probably not going to make exceptions. The "free absences" rule is so that they don't usually have to deal with doctor's notes and suck with college students. But if you don't know what the policy is, you should ask.

And you should absolutely try to get your missing syllabus.

If the course has a TA, you can ask the TA about both these things rather than the professor.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:57 pm

I think it is really stupid for college classes to take attendance. Either you learn the material, or you don't. What does it matter how many classes you miss? You're paying for the class, you should be able to miss it if you want to, and if the class is worth going to, then the grade would suffer appropriately.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Absentia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:I think it is really stupid for college classes to take attendance. Either you learn the material, or you don't. What does it matter how many classes you miss? You're paying for the class, you should be able to miss it if you want to, and if the class is worth going to, then the grade would suffer appropriately.

Depends on the class. If it's just a lecture then yeah there's no reason why you need to be there. But if it's something with a lot of group discussion or group work, the whole class suffers if you don't show up.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby PSTN » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Absentia wrote:Depends on the class. If it's just a lecture then yeah there's no reason why you need to be there. But if it's something with a lot of group discussion or group work, the whole class suffers if you don't show up.

It's been almost 12 years since I've been in school, but even just in the world in general, I can confidently state that no discussion has ever been improved by my presence or diminished by my absence.

Spoiler: show
Butts

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:47 pm

This is the latest xckd criticizing Turkish delight.

Spoiler: show

I can relate, because I had the same experience as a kid when my father bought Turkish delight after I read the books.

However I also had Turkish delight in Turkey, and then again in the US when I came back. So I can say that Turkish delight sold in the US tends to use less flavoring (it's industrially produced rather than homemade) and also to be kind of stale. The only flavors of Turkish delight I'll touch in the US are rose, cherry, and pomegranate, and rose is the only flavor I'll pay money for. By contrast, pretty much any flavor of Turkish delight in Turkey, if you get it fresh, is amazing. Even mint, and I'm usually not a fan of mint-flavored stuff.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:10 pm

I have a friend who is a world-traveler. On his last trip to the Middle East, he brought back some authentic Turkish Delight (rose-flavored).

I had heard of people being similarly disappointed with it, so I was actually pleasantly surprised. My reaction was, "Huh. This is pretty good. Not "sell-out-your-family-to-the-White-Witch" good, but good nonetheless."

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:20 pm

I'm fond of Turkish delight (not betraying fond though) but usually it comes in rose and lemon flavours. I like that, even though the rose tastes very very slightly like soap, but one of my colleagues brings in some from time to time, and I don't know where he gets it from but it has some honey flavoured pieces and I WANT MORE OF THAT.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Australia » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Hot tip: If you're going to a movie called A Quiet Place, maybe don't talk through the entire fucking thing. Though the amount of times the characters put their finger to their lips, I was beginning to think they were actually shushing the pricks in the back of the cinema.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Windy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep