Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Things that are things.

Postby PSTN » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:51 am

So, the way I see it, we have a Things that are good thread, and and a place to bitch about things that suck. But we haven't got a place to just mention stuff. Things we may not get a chance to talk about in meatspace, or that have been on our minds, or just things you want to tell people about. Basically, just a place to put the stuff that doesn't necessarily warrant it's own thread, but you'd like to share anyway.

I guess I'll start.

The other day I put together a new keyboard layout that I'm using now.

I moved banished "Caps Lock to where "Scroll Lock" usually is, because I almost never use it. I also got rid of the "backtick" character (`), in favour of the degree symbol (°)(on the seven), because for all I use it I might as well just remember it's hex code (60) and use "Ctrl-Shift-U" when I want it.

You also might notice the "compose" button, which allows me to type, for instance, 'O' and 'c' and get '©', or '-' and 'L' and get '£'.

I may add an "AltGr" key in the future if compose ends up too cumbersome, or if I find there's a few keys I'd really like to have right there. If that's the case, I'll bring back backtick, and put it in the quote button.

I also switched the case of the top row of numbers. Now, if I want "$", I just hit the "4" key, and if I want "4", then I hit "Shift-$". I mostly use the number pad for typing numbers, so I don't really need the extra numbers up there as bad. I also moved "0" next to "1".

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Paradox » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:36 pm

I'm having chocolate cake now.

It tastes...chocolaty.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby sunglasses » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:37 pm

I'll be stuffing my face with leftover ribs later.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby ghijkmnop » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:31 am

How do you change the keyboard layout? I'd like to totally get rid of the Windows keys. Just dummy them suckers out. I only ever hit them by accident and when I do, bad things happen.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:39 am

Seconded, that's wild. Although I don't think I can do that with a Mac anyway.

I made some shrimp tacos today. I sauteed poblano pepper strips in butter with salt, pepper and good Mexican chili powder, then pulled them out and browned peeled deveined shrimp in it while putting the peppers under the broiler to char. I added some Frontera Green Skillet sauce (the Rick Bayless brand) and mixed in the peppers, and served it on corn tortillas with pickled red onions.

Here's the thing: the sauce is just too darn sour. It's made with key lime and tomatillo, and really wasn't all that special at the end of the day. So the pickled onions, while freaking fantastic, kind of just sent the whole thing into sour overdrive. And shrimp is such a delicate flavor, I felt like it got lost in the middle of all that. It sounds like bragging and I'm sorry, but I really think if I'd just made the whole thing from scratch, it would have been fifteen hundred times better. All in all, I'd still rate the dish as "pretty okay".

I'd also like to reiterate that those onions were bomb. I pickled a whole red onion, sliced thin on the mandoline, with apple cider vinegar, a half teaspoon a piece of kosher salt and raw sugar, a splash of honey and sriracha, a quarter teaspoon of oregano, and a smattering of ghost pepper flakes. Pickled onions are already pretty awesome, but spicy pickled onions are just too good to pass up. I might make burgers or steak tacos soon and use some more of those onions on them. I got a whole jar of them!

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:44 am

I have seven words for you, Matt.

Taco truck, where weed is legal.

Okay, six words.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby PSTN » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:41 am

Malfeasinator wrote:How do you change the keyboard layout? I'd like to totally get rid of the Windows keys. Just dummy them suckers out. I only ever hit them by accident and when I do, bad things happen.

I'm using linux, so it required some liberal (ab)use of the "loadkeys" and "xmodmap" commands, but Windows does have a Custom keyboard layout creator.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby MisterKrinkle » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 am

Malfeasinator wrote:I have seven words for you, Matt.

Taco truck, where weed is legal.

Okay, six words.

Can white people run taco trucks? If so, I'm totally stealing this idea when I move to Washington. I'm also open for investments from a business partner. Rich tcs'ers, I'm looking at you.

Stay classy
MisterKrinkle
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Chef Krinkle

Postby Phighter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:56 am

I have work tomorrow at 6pm. I'm just hoping I'm not starving when I get out at 10pm. Also, I don't know where anything is, so if customers ask me to help, I guess they're shit out of luck.

Phighter
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: King of Puns

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:57 am

@PTSN I saw that you had a "BS" key and for a moment didn't realize that meant backspace at first. My first thought was "oh huh, he has a bullshit key, I guess that's pretty useful." Now I'm kinda sad that I don't have a key to just type out "bullshit" for every stupid argument I see online. I should probably go to bed, before I decide to remap all my keys to swear words.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Popinki » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:09 pm

On my work PC, I put stickers over the Print Screen/Scroll Lock/Pause keys that say NUCLEAR WARHEAD, DEATH RAY, and TRAP DOOR. After getting off the phone with someone irritating, it's very satisfying to imagine them getting blown up, zapped, and dropped into a tank of man-eating guppies.

Popinki
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Popinki wrote:TRAP DOOR

There's somethin' down there

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby PSTN » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:@PTSN I saw that you had a "BS" key and for a moment didn't realize that meant backspace at first. My first thought was "oh huh, he has a bullshit key, I guess that's pretty useful." Now I'm kinda sad that I don't have a key to just type out "bullshit" for every stupid argument I see online. I should probably go to bed, before I decide to remap all my keys to swear words.

You totally can map keys to arbitrary strings. In fact, one of the manuals I read when remapping my keyboard demonstrated this by showing how to remap the space bar to "sudo rf -rm /".

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:32 am

I want to plan a weekend getaway. We've certainly earned it with everything that's been happening, but I'm going to need to find out what our payment stuff with school is first. But gosh could I use it. And I love hotels. Love love love love.

I was thinking either Atlanta or Charlotte. Neither is too far away for just a weekend. Atlanta is closer though, but I don't like it as much. It sounds silly but my boyfriend had a whole life there before me with his ex wife and job and martial arts and friends and when we go he talks about all of his memories and stuff. And it makes me a bit sad because I am about 1000 miles from where I have memories like that. But it's like an hour less of driving and there's more to do there, I think. I've only ever been to Charlotte for his races and that didn't involve sightseeing or anything

Hopefully we can go, I could use a getaway!

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Next