Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:23 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Sounds like the name of a dog?

Do they let dog funerals block off the road for fifteen minutes? If it was a dog, I will be pissed.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 pm

Boo Boo could easily be the nickname of a human. Have you checked the local obituaries? Someone whose funeral is today most likely died last week at some point, unless they were a muslim or a Siamese King. Obviously you didn't ask anyone present at the time but you could make some inquiries.

I decided to look at the Austin American-Statesman obituaries, and there is one from the 23rd of this month for someone named Beth Bobo. I can imagine someone of that name being called Boo Boo by her apparently numerous survivors. I don't know anything about Austin though, so I don't know if the geography checks out.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 pm

News searches should cover obituaries, I was hoping to find one for "Bender 'Boo Boo' Rodriguez" or something but turned nothing up.
Anglerphobe wrote:I decided to look at the Austin American-Statesman obituaries, and there is one from the 23rd of this month for someone named Beth Bobo. I can imagine someone of that name being called Boo Boo by her apparently numerous survivors. I don't know anything about Austin though, so I don't know if the geography checks out.

Fredricksburg is about two hours west of Austin, and the mourners/celebrants were all young people, so it probably wasn't an old person anyways.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:20 pm

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Tuli » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:59 pm

RIP Boo Boo. But wow, that photo edit is something else... Looks like they even got ET to handmodel for it.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:08 pm

So know I know what kind of funeral has attendees who think it's appropriate to whoop and honk and film the scenery while driving in a funeral procession. It's the same kind of funeral which is organized by people who think that this image (archived since I bet the link goes dead within six months) is in good taste.

On the other hand, at least he had friends to disrespect the solemnity of his funeral in the first place. I'll be amazed if a dozen people come to my funeral, and isn't that an uplifting thought.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:24 am

If you count people coming to dance and/or spit on your grave, the numbers look more impressive. That's the figure I'm planning to have recorded for mine, anyway. A mourner is a mourner, after all.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Two more days and I find out if I can get an Essential phone or not. And that's a thing.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Happy July 4th, people who use the Gregorian calendar but especially fellow 'Muricans!

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby JamishT » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:14 am

My next door neighbors apparently bought a ton of fireworks, and there are at least three or four other private firework shows within sight (and hearing), so the air smells like burnt black powder and it sounds like a thunderstorm in a popcorn maker. The cats aren't really too bothered by it, which is nice, but I'd enjoy it anyway! I love this stuff!

Also, fireworks are illegal here.

Actual footage of people finding out that the cops don't care about fireworks being set off.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:59 pm

As far as I can, tell, fireworks being illegal in a place has no effect on how often people use fireworks privately. What matters is how easy it is to get fireworks, legally or otherwise.

My mother has family in Pennsylvania, where it's illegal to use fireworks but legal to sell them to out-of-state residents. At the time at least, New Jersey, Maryland, and Delaware also banned fireworks. So we'd buy illegal fireworks (since my parents were out-of-state residents) and use them at her cousins' house, but we'd sometimes be the only ones and sometimes one neighbor would put on a private show.

In my hometown in Massachusetts, fireworks are legal a forty-five minute drive away in New Hampshire, so there would usually be at least one person on any given street putting on a private fireworks show. Our closest neighbor who did this lived right across from a state trooper, we assumed the trooper was at the show himself.

In Austin, where fireworks are illegal within city limits and legal the moment you cross back into Texas, there are fireworks stores pretty much anywhere you cross over into unincorporated territory (I assume neighboring towns and cities also ban fireworks since I don't see these stands in West Lake Hills or Pflugerville), fireworks are so common even on non-holidays that it gets kind of annoying.

In South Florida, where fireworks are legal even in a lot of urban areas and you can buy Roman candles at WalMart fireworks ubiquitous during holidays, but no more so than in Austin. I'm usually only in Florida around Thanksgiving, so I don't know how common they are during non-holidays.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:45 pm

We’re having a small family party (which has a whole other story attached to it), and one of my cousins is wearing a shirt for a friend of hers who has cystic fibrosis. The back of the shirt says, “Make lungs great again!”

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:07 am

I realized something on the plane ride back, but first what made me realize it: My cold indigestion made me feel like I was going to throw up, so I leaned over into the air-sickness back, gagged, and ... burped.

After that I felt somewhat less bad on that front, and was able to repeat it a few more times, inducing gagging with my finger, since I was the only one on my row and I could get away with it if I left long-enough intervals. (I learned that being fat means you often have an empty middle seat on a mostly-full flight, but being obviously sick means you get the whole fucking row.)

And in doing that, I realized something: I am pretty certain that I am not capable of burping without first inducing my gag reflex. I literally cannot thing of a time where I have burped which was not the result of trying to vomit, other than this recent time on the plane where I induced the gag reflex instead. Since I have always found burping and the way people find humor around it vulgar, I am pretty sure I never tried to burp as a kid so I never noticed I couldn't.

I googled and it turns out that yes, there are indeed people who cannot burp without inducing the gag reflex. And since then, whenever I feel indigestion (often right now because I have a cold), I have been sticking my finger down my throat, burping, and feeling better. How much discomfort have I endured because I am unable to burp naturally and didn't know it?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:22 pm

cmsellers wrote:On the other hand, at least he had friends to disrespect the solemnity of his funeral in the first place. I'll be amazed if a dozen people come to my funeral, and isn't that an uplifting thought.

I'd be surprised if anyone comes to mine, even the guy who is supposed to dig the hole.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:47 pm

What do you want from me, Jim? My wife has a cold that day!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext