Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:57 am

I vowed before the election that I would join the Texas Nationalist Movement if Trump won the election. Turns out actually joining them costs money, so I just joined their mailing list instead. Since their main thing is regulation and bureaucracy are a danger to the future of the country, and since I do think the US would be better off as several smaller countries, I am actually legit sympathetic to their cause.

Well, a couple weeks ago, one of their people sent out an email praising Trump effusively before saying "we need to leave even with Trump as president." So being myself, I sent an email pointing out that their support of Trump is at odds with my own beliefs, seems at odds with beliefs the TNM has previously expressed, and that assuming everyone who supports the TNM supports Trump seems like a terrible way to get the support you need for Texas independence.

I did not hear back from them, of course. However I have not gotten an email from the TNM since that time either. I think that that email I sent may have gotten me banned from their mailing list.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:09 pm

My colleague was showing another colleague his holiday photos.

"This is the beach at Westward Ho!" he said, showing her a shot of the sun on the horizon over the sea.

Her response: "Oh, beautiful! Is that a sunrise or sunset?"

I was standing behind them both, facepalming.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Since the sun sets in the east these days, I assume it was a sunrise.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:20 pm

So I was not taken off of the Texas Nationalist Movement mailing list after all; they were just silent for an unusually long time.

Also, I remembered a similar incident in college. Some students holding a bullshit protest got ahold of all the student email addresses and sent a mass email to everyone with their demands. Their demands were mostly bullshit, but I sent a polite email to this "Queerion Femmpire" (yes, really) trying to ask how they thought implementing their demands would work. Naturally, my email was not acknowledged by the sender.

What is it with people who cannot stand to have their beliefs questioned advertising them to as wide an audience as possible? Do they not realize that people disagree with them, and doing this increases the likelihood that someone will disagree to their face?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:19 pm

I don't think the "Queerion Femmpire" actually expected their demands to be met.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:30 am

I got a new phone, finally. It is a TracFone smartphone, since it was cheaper to get this smartphone than to get a flip phone and I still do not make enough phone calls to justify using getting a plan. Twenty bucks.

I have no idea how long it will last, but when you think about how complicated phones are, the fact that you can get one now (and a smart phone, no less), for twenty bucks is pretty amazing.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:40 pm

British newspapers seemed to have revived fahrenheit in recent months. The current "hot weather in summer" headlines are roughly an even split between F and C, and I can't remember any of them (other than the crazy old people daily, the Express) using the former before this year. I'm not sure whether it's the Brexit effect or just a desire to cultivate larger numbers for heatwave scare articles. It may be a combination of the two.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:22 am

The other day, I decided to make an account on Reddit. It's been an adventure and I'm not subscribed to very many subreddits. However, last night I made the great decision to sub to r/farpeoplehate where people post pictures where there are people in the distance and discuss how "angry" they are at them. It's dumb, but it makes me laugh.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:58 am

I bit the bullet on Reddit about half a year ago. The people there can be frustrating, though a lot depends on the sub. r/farpeoplehate is clearly a parody of the notorious and now-banned r/fatpeoplehate. A lot of subs are parodies of other subs. I do hope you have subscribed to r/amish, though.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:14 am

cmsellers wrote:I bit the bullet on Reddit about half a year ago. The people there can be frustrating, though a lot depends on the sub. r/farpeoplehate is clearly a parody of the notorious and now-banned r/fatpeoplehate. A lot of subs are parodies of other subs. I do hope you have subscribed to r/amish, though.

I knew it was a parody of r/fatpeoplehate, and I don't know why I didn't say that to start with. And hells yeah I subbed to r/Amish, it's lively as a singin' in there!

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:57 pm

I would figure there wouldn't be many Amish Reddit users. Are they all apostates?

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby JamishT » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:11 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:I would figure there wouldn't be many Amish Reddit users. Are they all apostates?

If there are any Amish Reddit users, they would be like New New Order/Beachy Amish (those are the most "liberal" sects of Amish). r/Amish has like 30k subscribers, but there aren't any posts.

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:18 am

Over ten years ago, my dad made an online ordering system for restaurants, set up local places with free pages that had their menus (which means I entered a bunch of menus), and showed the owners how to update them. He didn’t really keep track of it, and he didn’t think the site was up anymore. Earlier this week, one of the places called him and said that people were ordering stuff and expecting prices that hadn’t been accurate since about 2005.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:49 pm

I was looking at my phone late at night, and I happened to spot something above me in the corner of my eye. Caught in the glow of the screen, gleaming, was a cellar spider on a long thread hanging from the ceiling. With its translucent limbs, it caught the individual colours from my phone screen and captured them like glass, really looking quite beautiful. It even twinkled with small movements of the light source. I spent a few seconds admiring it before it lowered itself the remaining distance to the covers and hiked off into the dark again.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Last December, I wrote:Someone I never talked to in high school sent me a friend request on Facebook yesterday. When I accepted, she invited me to the event page for our ten-year reunion (to be held next November). I'm not sure if I'll go.

The date was finalized. It happens to be on my sister’s birthday (a Wednesday, which I find odd), and costs a lot, though there will be an open bar. I probably won’t go.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

PreviousNext